TN: 2015 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Blanc (France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur)

It took me way too long pop a bottle of Guiberteau but now that I have finding some of those single vineyards is one of my highest priorities. This is the kind of wine that will go on to haunt you. Perhaps you need to be a little bit masochistic to really love it but I had a really hard time putting the glass down. The acidic and salty intensity was not completely unlike that of Le Cran, my favorite cuvée from Bérêche. Fortunately this one is a whole lot cheaper!

• 2015 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Blanc - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (1.2.2019)
    Some reduction on the nose and tartness on the palate early on convinced me quickly to decant the wine for ~30min before dinner. Quite dark yellow color does not equal high ripeness or alcohol - this clocks in at 12.5% and is as dry and savory as it gets. Quite recognizable on the nose with notes of orange peel, lemon and wool. Smells sour, if that’s possible. On the palate indeed really tangy and bone dry. Has good volume but is not especially concentrated. Highly acidic and tense with quite remarkable saltiness on the finish. A really exceptional dry Chenin although by no means of the easy and cuddly kind.

Posted from CellarTracker

Also discovered Guiberteau a few years ago. Have enjoyed many since then, though they are a little difficult to find over here. Thanks for the note.

I think the reason for me to not having been more excited is that I have not considered the wines that hard to source and the hype has thus far felt moderate. But man, I am not going to pass on the opportunities to purchase more of their wines moving forward.

Ikka, I’ve never had the “plain” blanc, only Guichaux and Carmes. I’d consider them in the top 5 Chenin producers available to us here.

I opened a few bottles of the 14 base bottling early last year that were picked up stateside and found them to be much as Ilkka describes the 15; savory, with some complexity, and food friendly. A good buy.