Peter Michael vs Aubert

Hello All!
I’m new to the forum and wanted to get opinions on Peter Michael Wines vs Aubert. I’m currently on Aubert list and order twice a year. My wife and I are big fans of them. Recently just was added to Peter Michaels active list and wondering if I should scale back on a few bottles of Aubert to try Peter Michael. I understand the price point is a little higher but not by much. I ran a search for Peter Michael but dont see many topics on here. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Peter Michael has a well rounded lineup, which by my definition is that they offer not only chardonnay and pinot noir, but also Bordeaux blend reds. All of the wines are very good, albeit pricey. I used to buy a ton from them, and have cut back substantially as I find that Aubert and Marcassin really provide me with enough chardonnay to fill my needs, coupled with a few from Kongsgaard. I still pick up the lone bottle of Point Rouge I am allocated, but pass on the rest. The pinot’s can be outstanding, and we do buy those.

I don’t really think you can go wrong. My palate prefers the Aubert style over Peter Michael (chard’s), but it is a close call. Not the definitive answer you might have been seeking, but for me there really isn’t one.

I will echo everything Jim said, and add that you should buy a few PMs so you can see how they work for your palate. I think Peter Michael Chards are in the top tier of California Chards, so it comes down to which you (and your wife) personally prefer.

you’re not going wrong in that company
as mentioned above, buy a couple of pm’s and have at it
report back after you do

Okay that’s for the input. I’m thinking I will like Aubert Chards better. How about PM’s pinots rack up? Within the last couple years I have only been getting more into the wine world and there’s so much to learn. For the most part I find myself always gravitating towards pinot and chards. Can you make any further suggestions for us? Its exciting trying new wines and eventually making it on their lists. However, I’m starting to find out it can get very expensive as well. Any info for a novice is appreciated.

-S

Aubert, but which one : Lauren is my fav !

Start exploring Oregon. Lots of Chard and Pinot producers.

I’d also suggest DuMol and Walter Hansel in CA, Hansel is a great value.

I also like the Aubert a bit better and (in a comparison of pricey wines) find the chardonnays from Aubert a bit better of a value. For me, Lauren is the most consistent winner, but some years Lauren is edged out by Sugar Shack or CIX. I buy 8-10 cases of Aubert chardonnay a year, so that pretty much fills up my capacity for American Chard. My favorite chardonnay ever made by Marc Aubert was the Quarry, grapes that came from Peter Michael’s vineyard La Carriere (french for the quarry). I think Marc was getting slightly stronger scores for his version of the quarry than the PM version - that may be a reason why the quarry grapes are not available to Aubert any more. Les Pavot is a terrific wine, but I had a hard time justifying it on a value perspective when compared to bordeaux or other California bord blends.

[swoon.gif] [worship.gif] Whoa!! Wish I could pull that off… Cheers!

I did not realize that Quarry was a PM vineyard. Good grapes for sure, and I agree that Aubert made some great wines from that vineyard. I still have an '03, and '04, and an '05 Aubert Quarry and need to pop them one of these days. Kind of want to see how they taste at 20 :slight_smile:

I buy both every year. I dropped Kistler as I agree Aubert and Peter Michael are better.
This would make a great challenge. Peter Michael vs Aubert. I will suggest to Andrew at Winewatch.

I like the PM Chards. Similar to Aubert to my palate but I may not be that discriminating. The La Carriere, Belle Côte, and Point Rouge are my favorites, but the Point Rouge is pricey. Aubert may be preferred a bit by many, and perhaps has more caché?

The PM Pinots are very modern/ripe, too much so for me. Their Les Pavots Bordeaux blend has had hits and misses for me, I’m not a regular buyer.

David - I agree re: the PM pinots. I love the chards, but the few pinots I’ve tried didn’t do it for me.

Ken - looks like you buy Morlet as well. How do you rank those vs. PM?

This is timely, as the PM Spring release just hit this morning…

While both Aubert and Peter Michael are big, full-scale wines with 100% oak, I find Aubert more balanced. Some Peter Michael cuvées can veer into sunscreen lotion with the toasty oak and tropical notes, while I’ve had new-release Aubert where the oak already seems fully integrated.

I love Morlet also. BTW Luc Morlet is the winemaker at Peter Michael so the style is very similar.
All of the wines age really well. I wait at least 5 + years to enjoy. Ranking is really tough because I enjoy all of them so much.
Any of these wines are spectacular when they are in their drinking window.
I should add I only buy the PM chard and pinot. I pass on the Les Pavot. It is a great wine but I just have too many other similar wines.

First, Steve…welcome to the board! Hope we will see more posts from you. I am paging back in my notes to see if I can help. This is from a LONG time ago (2011) but may still have value. From a night with the Atlanta Posse:

"With Seared Diver Scallop with Sweet Corn and Rocchetta Agnolotti and Country Ham

2008 Peter Michael Ma Belle Fille Chardonnay

Bananas and graham cracker with maybe peach. Well…that is interesting. It’s quite soft and pralines and cream or butterscotch ripple. Vanilla aplenty. In its style, very elegant, but it is missing an extra dimension for me. What I liked about this flight is how many different opinions there were and who liked what.

2008 Aubert Ritchie Vineyard Charonnday

I’ve been lucky that this is about my third try of the wine this year. Yum—pineapple underneath strong but not overwhelming oak and the (for me) signature citrus. Today, this has lovely depth and balance, so tingly and tasty, loads of orange and grapefruit with back-end coconut. Uber-delicious and persistent. My bias is showing (I adore Aubert, and Ritchie in particular), but #3 tonight.

2008 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Chardonnay

This, I get some marzipan and lemon-lime zest. Terrific energy here, I love how vibrant it is, even more tangy than the Aubert and replays of lemon with some grapefruit, pears and wood. Continues tingly right through the finish. Again, in its style, excellent, and quite reminiscent of a Chablis in feel. I do like it, but I like the Ritchie a little more for the overall balance.

2007 Hartford Court Stone Cote Chardonnay

More overt wood here, with toffee and pear. Le gout is riper, peach, dates and pit fruit shows with a little white pepper hit. I can’t say I like how this is put together."

Then, back in 2016, I ran a horizontal of 2009 Cali Chards at my WineFest IV:

Tasted day of:

"2009 Marcassin Three Sisters Chardonnay

The typical-for-me matchstick, woodsy, tropical fruit and poached pear nose. The problem is the palate, which is on the sweet side, but more is one-dimensional and flat. Don’t really know what happened here, I’ve never had an experience like this with a Marcassin Chard, but arguably the biggest disappointment of the day.

2009 DuMol Clare Chardonnay

Plenty of tropical and oak, but it all fits, and some toasted bread wafts up the glass. Custard and juicy lemon and apple greet the tongue. It has plenty of depth and carry and is also unquestionably a big-style Calichard.

Tasted next day

"2009 Aubert Ritchie Chard

Still young, the oak is in evidence but buttressed by that Ritchie citrus and some coconut—it’s definitely alive. And that continues on the palate, with kinetic dynamism for sure. Oak still wants a bit more time to fully integrate and peach and citrus also in the mix, but this is a place where maybe the house is already moving to a fresher style. Pretty good….says something if Aubert Ritchie, which I always love, doesn’t crack the top 25."

Tasted 2 days after

2009 DuMol Isobel Chard

I like the understated complexity of aromatics—moving from white pear and buttercream biscuit to some light herbs and spiciness. Doesn’t stay pinned down. The taste, I’m not sure what to make of this—certainly tastes mature and has this mix of marmalade, unripe pineapple, but also a sort of bitter baked apple. No question it does have length and drive, and one of those I’m the sorriest about trying 3 days later. I imagine this has suffered a bit even though I transferred it to halfsie. There are good lines here.

2009 DuMol Chloe Chard

Even more rounded complexity than the Isobel, maple smoke is hinted at around light pear and toffee and a little star fruit too. This has held up well and is quite balanced and delicious, the slight shivers of pralines & cream and some sweetness only accent a white fruit centre with some dry mustard shakes. It is long, undulating, very smooth and in its optimum drinking window. Really very good, and I’m not dumping any of the pour, with fewer wines, may well have been in a top-20.

2009 Peter Michael La Carriere Chard

Demure toffee and nougat under tangerine and white fruit aroma. On the palate, it skates across with a ballerina’s elegance—amazingly light tracings and yet leaves you tasting the aromatic replays with apple pie and vanilla ice cream. It maybe is too controlled, as there is no second gear, but that’s nitpicking over a fine, fine wine."

Hoping this may help.

Mike

Ken, count me in!

I thought the PM release is Thurs

I got mine this morning.

I had my first Morlet last week, a 2015 En Famille Pinot. Found it in a small wine frig that typically holds daily drinkers and a cache of stuff that my better half can access without worrying that she and her pals just opened a wine that is intended for a ten year snooze. I mistakenly thought the Morlet was a random gift, from a well meaning guest who picked up a bottle from the grocery store. Since it was later in the evening and we had company in need of more wine, I grabbed it without doing any research. As soon as it was open, I knew I had made a mistake. A big pinot that needed time; can’t really judge it based on this super young, small sample. I will try to be more careful (and will try to track down the source of that single bottle in my frig in hopes I can coax an older bottle from that generous gift giver).
On the PM and Aubert pinots, I no longer buy them as they are typically way to big for my pedestrian tastes.