Ever had a 'bretty' sparkling wine?

I opened a NV Cremant du Jura from Jean Bourdy the other night, and it was definitely bretty - slight barnyard with hay and leather saddle notes. This did not ‘blow off’ but remained and become more pronounced as the wine warmed up. And the wine had a crazy metallic finish - like putting a penny in your mouth.

Anyone else ever experience a sparkling wine or Champagne with this flaw before?

Cheers.

I have tasted Pet-Nats that are bretty - big time

As far as I know, this was not a pet nat - but yep, I can imagine that being the case.

Roger Coulon Esprit de Vrigny has come the closest - there was most definitely a disturbing animalistic note there. Fortunately that is the only one I can really think of.

I’ve seen it with Méthode Ancestrale Rosé, but never a white sparkling wine. I’ve only ever noticed brett in 1 or 2 white wines. That metallic finish is disgusting to me.

In a 1996 Brundlmayer Sekt.

This one, maybe:

NV Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Noirs - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (1/13/2019)
Clear light yellow, great mousse. Funky cheese nose at first, then rich red apple, red cherry and more burgundian funk. Delicious red fruit and green apple flavours and a long textured dry finish. (93 pts.)

Maybe this one:
2016 Kessler-Haak Pinot Noir Cuvée de Lompoc

November 12, 2017 - – tasted a single pour non-blind at the tasting room –

Smells like poop on the Nose; it did not blow off. It took an act of bravery to taste this. Amazingly, this tasted quite good. But absolutely disgusting Nose; must be flawed somehow.

Actually I had (fortunately) completely forgot about this one:

• NV Marie Courtin Champagne Allégeance Extra Brut - France, Champagne (14.6.2018)
    Right after opening the nose is way more shitty than any Champagne I have ever had. I am not saying barnyard, I mean something man-made. With some time things get more civilized and the aromatics become fairly clean and about primary red fruit. On the palate very dry, notably bitter, very much about savory red fruits not unlike a light Sangiovese. Bordering on austere, not terribly charming or even fun but would probably work well with certain foods. One of the strangest Champagnes I’ve ever had.

Posted from CellarTracker

Charles Dufour’s Pinot Blanc -based Champagne did have a bretty note that seemed to grow in intensity as the wine breathed. So to answer the topic: yes, I have had.

I would have to dig for the name of the producer, but I had a very bretty Rosé Champagne several years ago. Everyone at the table was in agreement that the wine was affected.

So based on the notes thus far, this is certainly a rarity. I was just amazed that this occurred - and was curious to hear what others thought.

So many potential faults in wine, but this was pretty distinctive - and that metallic finish. Yuck!

Cheers.

I am note a great judge of brett. I think I have a very high tolerance level for it so what I think is earthiness could well be brett.