TN: N.V. Equipo Navazos Jerez-Xérès-Sherry La Bota de Palo Cortado Nº 21

• NV Equipo Navazos Jerez-Xérès-Sherry La Bota de Palo Cortado Nº 21 - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry (1/26/2019)
    This is a beautiful light amber/tangerine color in the glass. With scents of ocean spray, orange & spice with a hint of something that reminds me of the smell of freshly polished church pews and antique furniture with an underpinning of vanilla beans and cotton. The palate starts with brisk acidity, followed by orange marmalade, candied ginger, and walnut skin along a long, acid-driven finish that leaves the mouth watering for minutes after the last sip. What a lovely wine…Outstanding!!!

• NV Equipo Navazos Jerez-Xérès-Sherry La Bota de Palo Cortado Nº 21 - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry (12/23/2016)
    I just tasted a sip from a bottle of this I opened in December of 2015 that has been sitting lost on my friend’s kitchen counter. It’s still brilliant! Oh my goodness, it was smooth, caramel, and the acidity was ripping!! This is a wine to age…for sure! Classic!!
  • NV Equipo Navazos Jerez-Xérès-Sherry La Bota de Palo Cortado Nº 21 - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry (4/15/2012)
    Scents of baked apples, earth, and a melange of nuts. Complex and layered on the palate with waxy hints of dried honey, apricots, pine and roasted nuts. An outstanding example of what Sherry can be, this sets the bar well beyone any other sherry on the market that I’ve tried to-date. Outstanding

Posted from CellarTracker

Crazy about that bottle that had been open for a year! It’s always nice to read notes on these wines. They really are special.

I feel the same way, but if you think about the history of these wines before they are bottled, it isn’t that different from Madiera, so we should not be surprised that a year corked up on the counter in somebody’s temperature-controlled home hardly matters.

The 21 is one of my all time favorite Equipo Navazos wines. I still have one left. Happy to read about others enjoying these and your experience with leaving open. Thanks!

Yes, these wines are wonderfully complex and I am enjoying a glass every week or so as I enjoy it…it’s just as complex, not quite as fresh, but still one of the better Sherry’s I’ve had.

As I’ve mentioned before, a bottle of the #37 Amontillado was my superstorm Sandy wine. I drank it over the course of a month with no noticeable diminution of quality.