Enfield Release Open

The Notes from John at Enfield:

SPRING 2019 NEWSLETTER

It is a cliché in the wine industry to say that great wine is made in the vineyard. At the same time, even in the great domaines of Burgundy, 1 person can only farm so many vines. Does it really matter whose hands did the spring pruning, or pulled leaves and laterals to open up the canopy and allow sunlight and air to reach the grape clusters? I think we can all agree the answer is somewhere in the middle, and that many hands have touched the world’s greatest bottles of wine. Three years of farming Hennessey Ridge has nonetheless offered me the opportunity to approach a single piece of land and grow one wine with complete focus and a singular sense of purpose. As an artist, this is the clearest picture of Napa Valley terroir that I can express.

Nothing gives you a better sense of a vintage than being in the vines. Citrine Chardonnay is back, and the 2017 blend received an extra puncheon of Haynes old vines, giving a wine that already over delivers an extra level. It may be too good, so stock up.

The 2016 La Femme is our first vineyard blend Syrah - a fresh and partially carbonic mix of fruit from Brosseau, Richards & Haynes - each single vineyard worthy in their own right. It is a playful wine made from serious fruit.

The 2017 Heron Lake Pinot Noir is our second vintage working with the fruit. We chose to pick just before the epic Labor Day heat spike, and the 2017 is defined by clarity and purity of fruit. It is precise and driven in a way that makes it tantalizing right now, but should cellar in spectacular fashion.

2017 Citrine Chardonnay
Rorick Heritage - Heron Lake - Brosseau - Haynes
12.8% Alc. - 6 Puncheons - 16 Barrels Produced
The 2017 Citrine balances tropical fruit and floral aromatics with surprising acid and a subtle creaminess. It is juicy, mineral, a little bit saline, and just the tiniest bit savory on the finish. With high mouth impact, but not heavy, it is a Monday through Sunday wine. Most importantly, it’s still fun.
guava, jasmine, quartz, buttercream, sleek & seamless from start to finish
Drink Now
~
2016 La Femme Sauvage Syrah
Brosseau - Richards - Haynes
13.6% Alc. - 100% Whole Cluster - 6 Barrels Produced
With the help of a little carbonic maceration, La Femme is supple and soft while maintaining the counterbalance of its Syrah wild side. Aromas of blood and mushrooms are quickly followed by flowers and a buoyant juiciness. The finish lingers just long enough to leave you wanting more.
chanterelles, violet, grape jelly, sassafrass, olive tapenade, aggressively juicy
Drink Spring 2019 - 2024
~
2017 Heron Lake Vineyard Pinot Noir
Wild Horse Valley - Quartz & Mixed Volcanics
12.9% Alc. - 50% Whole Cluster - 2 Puncheons Produced
Aromatic intensity, clarity and precision of crisp red fruit define this wine. The sweet spice of the stems is playing a background role for now, though it does emerge as the wine opens up. The finish is softer than the 2016, but the quartz minerality is still very present and should keep this wine crystalline and fresh for a long time.
rose petal, red fruits, moss, tangerine peel, pennyroyal, black tea, sublime quartz mineral finish
Drink Spring 2019 - 2029
~
2016 Hennessey Ridge Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
100% Cabernet Sauvignon - Napa Valley - Franciscan Shale
13.6% Alc. - 100% De-stemmed - 600 Bottles Produced
Powerful and structured, as a Napa Cabernet should be, yet crystalline and pure in a way that is quite unique. There is no make-up, no new oak to “sweeten the fruit”, no extended barrel aging to “smooth it out”. It retains all of it’s natural lines and angles, giving the wine a sense of architecture, depth and . . to me . . a sense of place. Please decant!
blueberry, black currant, baking chocolate, truffle, high desert shale, graphite
Drink Summer 2019 - 2029

How do this years prices compare to last years.

I stuck to the new Cabernet.

I own way too much California Pinot Noir.

Chardonnay - $28
Syrah - $30
Pinot - $42/$94 (Mag)
Cabernet - $90

This is the first year of a Napa Cab so its more expensive than the Waterhorse Ridge Cab but otherwise it looks like the pinot is up $2 from last year.

The EnfieldCitrine” Chardonnay is a beautiful wine!

2 x of the Chard, Syrah and Cab. Really looking forward to the Napa Cab and the Syrah. The Citrine is a great bottle and ages remarkably well.

I’ve had some of their Shake Ridge stuff before, and bought a Waterhorse vertical last year, but haven’t opened yet. I’m intrigued by this style of syrah and of course their new Napa cab. Maybe I need to open some of the Waterhorse tonight and try it before putting in an order.

I’m looking at 3+3 Chard & Napa Cab.

really excited for this new cab release. 13.5% napa cab only 600 bottles because John did everything himself. I can’t imagine its anything short of fantastic. The syrah is also very interesting.

I tasted the '16 Napa Cab with John about 2 wks ago-- It is a hell of a wine-- so so pure and beautiful. Then I tasted the '17 of it (I think it was 1 barrel only)… [worship.gif] ) Stunning wines made in that Enfield style.

my wine group has 4 bottles of the '16 coming between us. I’m sure if its offered we’ll be in for the 17 as well!

Thanks for the notes on it! What do you think as far as hold time before opening the first one?

Matt, it’s a little bit of an unknown as it is a new wine for me as well, but it has been showing very well for me at home - even without a decant. It’s more structured, but less acid than Waterhorse, so to some extent may depend on your taste, but by the time it ships in march and you give it a few weeks to rest I think it should be fine to pop a bottle this Spring or early summer.

I will hold back a few bottles to taste and see how it ages as well. Certainly no harm in saving a couple.

Thanks John.

Thanks for sharing Jim, I appreciate the support and let me know if anyone has any questions.

Top to bottom I think this is one of our best releases to date. The Cab is going fast which is great, I’m very proud of it, but I hope it doesn’t overshadow the 2017 Heron Lake Pinot. I know the CA Pinot world is way overcrowded, but its a completely unique site and the wine has been a showstopper for everyone I have tasted on it. I think it will compare very favorably to wines at a MUCH higher price point.

Cheers ALL!!

John,

Compare and contrast Antle and Heron Lake Pinots?

Antle is a significantly warmer site, so Heron Lake is higher acid and has a much more delicate fruit profile. It does not have the raw power of Antle, especially the 2014. It is much more about purity and elegance. Heron Lake drinks fancier, if that makes any sense.

What they have in common is a distinct mineral component (kinda my thing). For Antle that was limestone/decomposed granite, at Heron Lake it is quartz. I cannot say that Heron Lake is AS mineral as Antle, but it is still very present and gives the fruit a 3-dimensional structure to it. The 2017 Heron Lake is like a transparent red gemstone.

Trying not to use too many annoying buzzwords here - hope this helps. I believe you tasted the 2017 Rose - that was Heron Lake fruit, so this is like a deeper more concentrated version of that.

Thanks

In for 4 of the Pinots. You guys are a bad influence!

I’m drinking the 2017 Foot Tread Heron Lake Pinot Rose right now. It’s a truly unique Rose, in a great way. Going quite well with my Tibetan takeout.

im not normally a huge rose drinker but this was by far my most memorable of the year last year. its delicious, and the color is wonderful.

curious what is distinctive about Tibetan takeout vs other cuisines though? never had Tibetan food.