Dirty and Rowdy winter offer

Went a little light but grabbed 4 especial.

Grabbed six total…never had the semillon, but looking forward to giving it a try now thats its back

The Semillion was mighty nice last time … considering my mix now.

Went with just 4 this time: 1ea of Semillon and Especial. 2 of the Familiar Mourvèdre.

Especial!!!

Took my whole especial allocation and a bit of the two familiars. Decided against the Semillon which I’m sure I’ll regret.

I’ve been waiting to try the skin and concrete egg fermented semillon for a while now. Excited to be able to get some, and I’ll probably forget about the order between now and mid-March, which should make for a pleasant surprise when it arrives.

Thanks for the support everyone. This has been a great AM.

I am really really happy with these. As Kate and I went through the wines yesterday, we felt they captured the raw exuberance of the '11s and '14s with the clarity of more recent vintages.

The Fam Blanc is the sleeper of the release. It was a tough one to write notes on. For those that know the wine, it is like a cross between the '15 and '16.

Thanks again!

Hardy,

I’m planning to stock up and curious how you think the Semillon and Familiar will age; is it best to drink relatively soon or worth it to lay some down for a while?

Chris- I think the Sem will age for a number of years. The '11-'14s are still babies and this seems to be in the same vein.

The Familiar Blanc, Familiar Mourvèdre, and the Especial are all meant for near term drinking. The Familiars hang on for several years (they all still taste good), while I think the Especial should be something to knock back within 1-2 years. IMHO with both the Familiars and Especial, their charm and excitement is in their youth.

Our vineyard designates (which will be in later releases this year) are meant for laying down.

I hope that helps! Thanks!

Winter Release - Dirty and Rowdy Family Wines Email and Wine Notes:

"WINTER RELEASE 2/1 - 2/8

"At some point this will be a book.
It will not be about us, it will be about you,
and how your choices redefined California wine.

"As you continually seek joy, adventure, and transformation, California wine takes a collective step forward.

"Whether you have been here since the start, joined along the way, or are brand new to our mailing list, these wines belong to you.

"From our hearts to your souls, welcome to your Winter Release.

“Kate, Amy, Matt, Hardy”

"**2019 ‘WINTER REVIVAL’ CASE:

"This case includes the following wines:
› 2018 Skin Fermented Semillon (3 btls)
› 2018 ‘Especial’ Mourvèdre (3 btls)
› 2018 California ‘Familiar’ Mourvèdre (3 btls)
› 2018 California ‘Familiar’ Blanc (3 btls)**

"2018 SKIN AND CONCRETE EGG FERMENTED SEMILLON

"Salt. Acid. Vibration. After four years, the return of our Skin and Concrete Egg Fermented Semillon holds nothing back. It is a tea party in the woods with fermented lemon and electric fennel. The skin contact rolls through the wine with fine tannins and a long textured finish.

"True to our Semillon form, this wine is beautifully cloudy.

"Decant 1 hour before serving. Pour at cellar temp.

"• Grapes: 100% Semillon Elevation: <400 feet
• Brix: 18-20
• Alcohol: 11%
• Winemaking: 70% Fermented on the skins (24 days), 10% whole cluster (15 days). 20% direct to press to concrete eggs.
• Production: 200 cases of 750ML
• Price: $36 per 750ML
• Closure: Sealed with a NomaCorc Select Bio closure. It is a plant based, carbon neutral, breathable, recyclable, cork alternative.

"2018 ‘ESPECIAL’ MOURVÈDRE

"We only produce the ‘Especial’ every few years. The stars need to align and everything needs to click. It is the lightest bodied Mourvèdre we make, and we do not make a lot of it.

"Though it is ‘read the paper through it’ Crayola red, this light bodied wine goes deep for geeks. It is a compelling meditation on granite and limestone. The short maceration 2018 ‘Especial’ is the essence of Mourvèdre from our rockiest block.

• Grapes: 100% Mourvèdre
• Elevation: 1700 feet
• Soil: Limestone, Granite, Decomposed Granite
• Vineyard / Region: Chalone AVA, Monterey County, CA
• Alcohol: 12.8%
• Fermentation: 100% Whole Cluster Native Fermentation. Unfiltered. Unfined.
Aged in 5-8 year old neutral French oak barrels. Racked only at bottling.
• Production: 75 cases of 750ML
• Cost: $36 per 750ML bottle
• Closure: Sealed with a NomaCorc Select Bio closure. It is a plant based, carbon neutral, breathable, recyclable, cork alternative.

"2018 CALIFORNIA ‘FAMILIAR BLANC’

"Snow leopards.
(That should really be the whole tasting note)

"Our early drinking white blend from inner outer space.

"Citrus oils, frozen banana, and life-affirming gin & tonics.

"The ‘Familiar Blanc’ is a blissful barrel selection from all of our 2018 whites. It is contemplative and ever-changing in the glass.

• Grapes: 55% Semillon, 16% Chenin Blanc, 15% Pinot Blanc, 10% Viognier, 3% Muscat, 1% Marsanne
• AVAs: Napa, Mendocino, Napa, and Monterey
• Alcohol: 12%
• Winemaking: Native fermentation with zero winemaking additions. 40% skin fermented. 60% whole cluster direct to press. Native fermentation. Minimal effective sulfites.
• Farming: 90% Organic / 10% Sustainable
• Production: 720 cases produced
• Price:$33 - 750ML

"2018 CALIFORNIA ‘FAMILIAR’ MOURVÈDRE

"Our Mourvèdre starts here.

"Juicy and exuberant, the '18 ‘Familiar’ Mourvèdre drinks like yacht rock for space pirates. It starts out wild, herbaceous, and bright. It blasts off from there.

The Familiar is a barrel selection of all of our vineyards and is a living snap shot of California Mourvèdre.

• Grapes: 95% Mourvèdre, 5%, Carignan,
• AVAs: Monterey, Mendocino, Contra Costa, El Dorado, Amador Counties
• Alcohol: 13.2%
• Winemaking: Native fermentation with zero winemaking additions. 100% whole cluster, bottled unfiltered and unfined. Minimal effective sulfites.
• Farming: Organic
• Production: 700 cases of happiness
• Price: $33 - 750ML
• Closure: Sealed with a NomaCorc Select Bio closure. It is a plant based, carbon neutral, breathable, recyclable, cork alternative."

Dirty and Rowdy Family Wines website:

I’ll be putting in my order tonight when I get home from work. Mostly likely just a Familiar Mourvedre and Semillon order split 6 and 6.

The especial isn’t my style, though I appreciate the craft and quality behind it and I have a few of the blancs from '16 left.

I always appreciate these wines and love to sport my t-shirt too!

TW

Thanks, Tim!

Hmmm… No offer. Maybe I missed the last offering and am now off?

Hi Jeremy- It looks like we had an unsubscribe request in Dec. '18. If in error, we can easily fix that. If not, we’d love to have you back!

Trying a 3 pack of both Familiars. Never tried either so looking forward to it!

Doh!

Yes, please

I’ll fix that this am! Thanks for pointing that out.

Hardy, could you please share your impression of the new vintage of the “Familiar” Blanc compared with prior offerings?

Blends in Dirty & RowdyFamiliar” Blanc:

2017: 55% Semillon, 16% Chenin Blanc, 15% Pinot Blanc, 10% Viognier, 3% Muscat, 1% Marsanne

2016: 31% Melon, 26% Chardonnay, 22% Chenin Blanc, 8% Viognier, 7% Riesling, 6% Muscat

2015: 28% Chenin Blanc, 22% Pinot Blanc, 18% Chardonnay, 12% Melon, 10% Roussanne, 10% Viognier, 1% funk

[thankyou.gif]

Drew- A good question that is a tough one for me to answer as all of the blends have been pretty different both in %s and in some of the varieties that are in there. Our goal with all of them has been to make a killer, fun, distinctive, white table wine that hopefully way overdelivers. It is a our winery white wine vintage snapshot.

Note-The new vintage is '18. We were unable to produce the '17. We also had a '14 and I added the blend below.

My quick take-
-'14 was textured but lean. The Chenin was the acid while the skin fermentation on the Sem and Melon, gave it texture. The most “savory”.

-'15 was the highest acid. The Pinot Blanc was the same pick we used for sparkling and we built body and mouthfeel with the white rhone varieties. (This was also the cloudiest / chunkiest in appearance). I loved the '15 so much- so raw and expressive.

-'16 was the most elegant and deep. The Chard was pretty ripe, the skin fermented melon kept that in check (while building structure), and the PB, VIO, RIES, and Muscat, created incredible aromas. This drinks like fancy wine (In a good way).

-'18 to me, is the most inspiring. The Sem (mostly on the skins) and Chenin play really really well together, and the texture comes from the small amount of PB. I’d swear there is more VIO in there with the nose, but just 10%. Out of the gate, it is just delicious. Per Kate, it is the best of the Familiar Blancs. It is pretty wild and exciting. I really think the lynchpin in this year’s blend is the VIO. It is off the charts good. We only used 10% VIO as I held the rest back for the vineyard designate.

• 2018: 55% Semillon, 16% Chenin Blanc, 15% Pinot Blanc, 10% Viognier, 3% Muscat, 1% Marsanne

• 2016: 31% Melon, 26% Chardonnay, 22% Chenin Blanc, 8% Viognier, 7% Riesling, 6% Muscat

• 2015: 28% Chenin Blanc, 22% Pinot Blanc, 18% Chardonnay, 12% Melon, 10% Roussanne, 10% Viognier, 1% funk

• 2014: 39% Chenin Blanc, 28% Semillon, 21% Chardonnay, 8% Melon, 4% Pinot Blanc