PSA - Kistler Chard & Pinot '95 thru '07

Chambers Street has Kistler Pinots and Chards form multiple single vineyards ranging from 1995 thru 2007.

Picked up a few older Chards to try.

Thanks for the heads up Matt

Very interesting. I was on the list from the '95 or '96 vintage through '05. The older Chardonnays never outlived the barrel treatment and were best to my tastes in the first few years of their life. The exception being maybe the Kistler Vineyard/Cuvee Catherine, which needed a couple of years to fill in. My favorite was the Hyde for it’s lemon-passionfruit components. The Hudson was also pretty good most years.

I’ve not found the Pinots to pick up any profundity with age and so also opted to consume them on the younger side once I had seen a few reach middle age to no apparent improvement. I’d expect the Pinots from this era to be interesting to try. I really liked the Hirsch, but it was always a limited allocation bottling. The Cuvees always seemed overdone to me. The prose from the winery did not translate into the bottle for me. I wanted the finesse and balance to be what I read, not what I actually tasted. I buy a few bottles of the Occidental every year and try to drink them before age 5. I call them “Cocktail Pinot”. It has a place in my life, albeit small.

Cheers,
fred

Damn, that is some good pricing on some great wines. One of the best Pinot’s I ever had is the 2005 Kistler Cuvee Catherine. Alas, it is already sold out…

Picked up a few older Pinots. Hoping the experience will be a bit more transformative than Fred’s.

Fred - how do you compare these with Soliste?

Thanks for the share