TN: KennethVolk Negrette '12...(short/boring)

This was a mystery wine Tom&Maria brought to a tasting:

1. KennethVolkVnyds Negrette CalleriVnyd/SanBenitoCnty (13.4%; www.VolkWines.com) SantaMaria 2012: Med.dark color; some Am.oak bit herbal light peppery/Negrette slight chalky/mineral nose; lightly tart light Negrette/black pepper/slightly spicy bit earthy/chalky light toasty/Am.oak flavor w/ light gentle tannins; med.long light Negrette/black pepper slight chalky/earthy light Am.oak/vanilla finish w/ light tannins; somewhat interesting expression of Negrette but a bit on the mild side; much more polished/mild-mannered than the somewhat rustic versions from Frontannais. $30.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Negrette is a grape cultivated primarily in the Cotes Frontonnais near Tolouse in SW France. Small plantings of it exist in Calif. I like the grape because it has a distinct black pepper character. It is a direct descendant of the Mavro rootstock grape, presumably vinifera, from Cyprus. Used to be called Pinot St.George in Calif and Charles LeFranc Cllrs made some good ones way back when.
    Tom

I appreciate your tasting note for this wine, Tom!!

I sent an email to DeRose a few weeks back asking about the vineyards and old-vine varieties grown, but I have not received a response yet. The work Ken Volk has done throughout the area truly is fascinating.

Yup, the work Kenny has been doing with these old varieties is most interesting.
His original Negrette, when he was working at WildHorse, is what got me interested in Negrette.
Since then, I’ve tried every one I can find, about half from Fronton. It’s not gonna set the WineWorld on
fire, but it’s an interesting alternative wine. If a bit on the rustic side.
Tom

Bryan Harrington made a Negrette from San Benito County some years ago, might have been 2011 but my memory is fuzzy on the exact vintage. He may give it another shot at some point, not sure. That variety was what first drew him to San Benito County, and now he gets much of his fruit from there.

I knew that a lot of the grapes Harrington uses came from San Benito, but I didn’t know that it started with the Negrette.

I’d guess it was '12. He might give it a shot last year…

Just checked, and you’re correct - it was 2012.