TN: 2013 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero - Burgund made in Barolo

Opened yesterday night to give him some air for tonight and took a little glass.

2013 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero

WOW…never had such a burgundian Barolo before. What a stunning finesse&elegance. I am surprised how ready and open this Barolo is. Fair to say I don’t see 100/100. Maybe tonight?! Or Mr. Galloni has this special vision. Anyway a fantastic&impressive Barolo.

95-96/100

BTW, a perfect TN by m_arcon @cellartracker:

"I let the wine open two hours before dinner and give it a certain amount of air in the decanter. This Monvigliero was open for business then. Like some tasters already mentioned it is a very burgundian styled Barolo. Lots of red fruit like strawberry, a bit of raspberry and also red currant mixed with cinnamon, underbrush, rose petals and other floral components on the multi layered nose. Very fresh on the palate. The tannins are super polished and already very well integrated. Sometimes younger Barolos can be a bit harsh on the tannins but this one not. Elegant, balanced palate with a long finish. This is really serious Nebbiolo with a lot of potential left to go a long way. Can´t see the 100 points from Galloni here though.“ 94/100

IMG_8064 08.44.44.jpg
Salute,
Martin

Thanks Martin
The 2013 Fratelli Alessandria Monvigliero is also very very good, not so Burgundian but very Verduno
Also 2013 Burlotto Acclivi is great

The monvig is whole cluster Nebbiolo. Do you think you are picking up Burgundian notes from the stems? I love that wine as well.

It’s also the fairly slender weight of the wine, tannins, and brightness of fruit and acids that are not bogged down by much if any iron/iodine notes that can be seen in Piedmont wines.

I cracked one last year Martin. A wine of gorgeous perfume and balance. Very Burgundian.

Good question. It is typically made with a 60-day maceration, which you would think would yield a high extraction, but the end result is just the opposite.

Maybe it’s the pressing by foot…

P.S. also had the 2014 Monvigliero yesterday. Well-made and nice to drink, of course not on the level of 2013 but I would recommend it. 92-93/100

IMG_8070.jpg

Yep Killer juice,Cannubi 2014 are very nice too.