How long should you let wine rest after shipping?

I usually shop locally but I have a bunch of stuff coming from berserker day. Looking online I have seen everything from 24 hours to a month.

Thoughts? It will be hard to wait once all these bottles start rolling in.

1 Like

Lots of threads about this that are literally pages long of just deadhorse

Search “travel shock.”

But, for the record, the real answer is, aside from wines in which very fine sediment is an issue (like old Nebbiolo), 0 days. [berserker.gif]

2 Likes

Ha! sneak attack!

1 Like

0 days works for me. Thanks!

Still learning new guy here

To be sure, there are lots of people, whose experience with wine unimaginably outweighs mine in both breadth and depth, who will vehemently disagree with me. But again… they’re wrong. [tease.gif]

for me, whites need no time. Reds depend on age—if a lot of sediment, especially the fine sediment of older Burgs, a long time. Young recent release—right away. For me, it’s not travel shock but sediment dispersal.

The learned doctor is correct.

1 Like

Would sparkling wine be something that would benefit from at least a couple hours at rest? In the event it had been bouncing around on the truck? Or would the time spent chilling it to drinking temp be sufficient?

Come to think of it, I’ve never had sparkling wine blow up on me when I’ve purchased some at a wine store and driven all over town and then immediately consumed at home after chilling. So I guess that answers my question.

“Long enough to grab a glass and corkscrew.”

1 Like

Is that a quote from Mike Pobega??? [highfive.gif]

Generally: the longer the better!

Otherwise it depends: on age, on vintage, on region, variety, style, quality, bottle condition …
for some simple easy wines 24 h might be enough, better ones should rest some days, old ones better some weeks … and for very aged red Burgundies or
Nebbiolos 1 month can be not long enough due to the very fine sediment.

“Long enough to grab a glass and corkscrew.”<<

That sounds funny, but is not very intelligent …

FWIW, the K&L Champagne buyer believes that imported Champagne need to rest for some time (weeks, not sure how long) before they show well. I also recall him stating the Blanc de Blancs recover more quickly than Blanc de Noirs.

-Al

As Kyle said, there have been many threads on this topic. I’m sure you’ll find everything that could be said on either/any side of of the issue in one of these:

The myth of travel shock (includes links to nine prior threads on the topic)

Let wine rest after shipping? (a more recent thread)

Never had trouble just popping a bottle on arrival. I have never opened anything too expensive but the $25 price point is not much different on arrival as six months from now in my opinion.

The ultimate quick-opening is the perfection of temps to wine ratio.

Champagne is best delivered in the evening on a 32 degree day. If it sat on the truck a long time is a bonus, especially if the shipper spent $ on the styro shipper.

Cali Pinot is best delivered on a Saturday while your sitting on your deck enjoying the 65 degree temps. Pop and pour baby.

Barolo is best on a Sunday about 2pm after your Sunday gravy has just spent 4 hours simmering. The braciole and sausages cooked to perfection. Best delivered between September and March and when temps are between 49 and 62.

Enjoy!

I love this post, Mike. I can’t find a thing to disagree with.

Bingo

I can’t think of many occasions where a bottle opened very quickly after arrival has shown as well as one a couple of weeks later.

I certainly agree with the Champagne assertion - it’s fragile stuff and I always try to leave them for a month to calm down.

[pillow-fight.gif] [head-bang.gif] deadhorse