Question for J.J. Prum Collectors...

I know everyone will have their own opinion, but I’d love to hear from some of the fellow Prum fans what you think the ideal drinking window is for:

Kabinett
Spatlese
Auslese

I have a decent collection, but most of it is from the 2000s. How long should I be sitting for optimal pleasure?

My opinion is they are great from day 1 until death basically. Different types of goodness. Depending on what you are looking for. But in general they are so easy to drink.

I’m not expert enough to give you more specific answers but those windows are going to vary with vintage. They also vary depending on how much the more sugary aspects are important to you as it fades with time even if the overall expression of the wine does not.

These are gross generalizations, but…

All are good the first 24 months or so post vintage.

Then they shut down some. I then drink in the following windows (with plenty of exceptions due to a lack of willpower):

Kabinett: 10 years from vintage until the end of time
Spätlese: 15 years from vintage until the end of time
Auslese: 20 years from vintage until well after the end of time

Thank you all! Is there a huge difference in aging potential between Wehlener, Graacher, and Bernkastler? Does one vineyard offer tertiary characteristics that are unique to that parcel, lacking in the others?

I follow this either on release, or this 10/15/20 guideline too.
David- thread drift. Would u say donnhoff shares a similar guideline for K/S/A?

I like Graacher Himmelreich earlier than Wehlener Sonnehur although Wehlener Sonnehur will catch up after aging.

That

And maybe that’s because at some point my patience wavers. At the ends of their earth, they still have something to offer.

Otherwise the 10/15/20 is more my starting point.

I break down and drink the Donnhoff wines a little sooner. Also, they are not immortal. Mosel Riesling has some magical staying power.

Though I haven’t had many older JJ Prums, I think their ausleses can be great even with only 12-15 years of bottle age. Had the 2007, 2003, 2002, and 2001 GH and WS ausleses all the past year and I felt all were in a great spot, at least for my taste.

There’s nothing wrong with drinking them earlier (my wife is plowing through our 2001s), but the extra age adds another level of complexity.

David’s numbers look good to me.

Prum offline at the end of time! Who’s in?

David, did you buy your older JJ Prum rieslings on release or have a place where you’ve been backfilling? Would love to try some from the 1990s and get more from the 2001 vintage…

I started buying Prum on release with the 1995 vintage.

Keith Richards?

I’ll check to see if “The Restaurant at the end of the Universe” allows BYO!

Great thread!

The first ten million years of waiting for the Prum offline were the worst.
The second ten million years, they were the worst too.
The third ten million years I didn’t enjoy at all.
After that, I went into a bit of a decline.

See you around on Frogstar World B.

At one time, young Prum tasted sulfury. I have not seen that in awhile, so they tend to drink better young than they used to taste young. WS takes longer to reach peak than do their other wines. 2005 Kabs and Spatlesen are drinking very well these days.