A couple of '05's

These two are motoring along beautifully under screwcap.

• 2005 Grosset Riesling Watervale - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Watervale (1/28/2019)
    A very fine nose of lemon, lime and flint. There’s the barest whiff of toasty development. It is elegant and cool in the mouth with lemon flavours front and centre. It has excellent cut and juiciness and is a fresh, energetic Riesling of great finesse.
  • 2005 Petaluma Riesling Hanlin Hill - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Clare Valley (1/28/2019)
    Just taking on a little petrol and toasty development. Has a core of sweet Tahitian lime. There are blossom notes and some slate too. It is full and unctuous in the mouth, with excellent volume and a long dry finish.

Posted from CellarTracker

Jeremy, nice to see notes on some riesling from the Clare Valley, as it is generally preferred in our house to other areas. Do you have much experience with the ageing curve of Grosset’s various rieslings? I have a few of Polish Hill in the cellar from '13, and am unlikely to find more. Don’t want to waste any young. Thoughts on their potential?

Hi Jeff,

I’m drinking my Polish Hill '02’s, 05’s and '08’s now. I like them with 10+ years. I’d give the '13’s a few more years.

Cheers
Jeremy

Thanks for the tip, Jeremy.

Hi Jeremy,
Do you have any comments on the 2002? Drink now,
or can I keep it awhile? Thanks.

Hi Joseph,

The '02 is splendid now.

Cheers
Jeremy

Slumming? No Grand Cru? [wow.gif]

They are the Grand Crus of Australian Riesling Markus!

Agree entirely with your comments Jeremy - we are drinking the 02s of both in our house and they never disappoint ! Interestingly the 02 Petaluma is under cork and while there is some minor variability its been consistently good possibly reflecting the value of a coolish ( for Queensland ) cellar, good quality cork and the inherent strength of traditionally made Riesling against oxidation. JB

so being screwed avoids getting screwed by premox!