Burgundy Vintages - A History from 1845 (book)

I searched but couldn’t find anything (surprisingly).
Has anyone received or read the new book from AM & Doug Barzeley? I have an early signed copy of AM’s ‘Pearl of the Cote’ which I seem to re-read every winter & use as a resource throughout the year.
I know very little about Doug, but I know some members here hold him in very high esteem. From early indications this appears to be enormous amount of work and an equally large published end result. Any 1st hand thoughts would be appreciated.

I haven’t received yet. I think there was an update on shipping stating it would be out late this month or early next month if it didn’t get held up in customs.

fred

I know Doug and traveled to Burgundy with him, something he has done for decades. Incredibly knowledgeable and experienced, a huge depth of experience, tremendously involved in Burgundy, many of the great tastings about which AM writes were orchestrated by Doug.

My copy is sitting in international clearing at Auckland airport, I should have it in a couple of days

How much is it?

Ordered

from where? Not on Amazon.

Burghound website

Mine got here last week. Have not opened it yet- but hoping to get a good look tonight or tomorrow. I have never met Doug, but he has the reputation of not only one of the greatest burgundy collectors but also the kind of guy who doesn’t feel the need to make sure everyone on the planet knows it. Hope to meet him someday.

Mine arrives today!

It just arrived , a fantastic work , very interesting if you like old wine and need info .

I tasted with Doug and Allen once and it was a great experience. It was very clear that Doug is AM contemporary.

I received it (and a gift copy I bought for the friend who got me into Burgundy by opening bottles of 1978 Arnot Suchots for me) but I left the unopened box in my office as I had other heavy stuff to lug home.

Steve Plotnicki opened that wine in NY probably 15+ years ago and it still echoes with me. Put me in the hunt for Arnoux Suchots.

Saw on the the shelf in Beaune’s Athaenium this weekend.
I don’t know Edwin Vos, but you could also look here:

Purely to compare…

I got mine at the end of last week. It looks great, weighs about 6 lbs, and I’m looking forward to reading. I’m a big fan of Burghound and very much enjoyed Pearl of the Côte.

Also, here is a link to Doug Barzelay’s Old Vine Notes, where you can read reports on his tastings and his annual visits to Burgundy to taste each new vintage:

Thanks Nowell. I haven’t seen that.

Fine looking book. Weighs a ton.

I haven’t read any of it yet, since my cat was sitting on it last evening.

Not a suprise but this book is excellent. The quality of the cover and printing is impressive as is the substance of the material. It includes an analysis of Burgundy vintages from 1845 through 2015 with tasting notes from Allen and Doug. This includes a rating of the vintages. One of the more practical aspects is a section on collecting older burgundies with recommendations regarding serving, decanting, etc. Given Allen and Doug’s experience drinking old burgundy this section is invaluable IMHO. I haven’t gotten through the whole book as it is 557 pages but would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the history of burgundy and in depth vintage analysis. I don’t think there is a book on the market quite like this.

Cory W. Eichhorn

Definitely going to order this book. Too bad I can only read about these great older vintages as my oldest Burg is 2005 haha