TN: 2001 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape

• 2001 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2019)
    Expressive fully mature nose displaying slightly dry red and black fruit, dry cherry, strawberry jam, crushed blackberry, strong tobacco and leather, garrigue, a hint of fruitcake, dark spices and earth. Beautifully integrated palate, very finely layered dry cherry and blackberry, silky and polished, bright acidity, strong earthy mineral, nicely resolved tannins and a long dry cherry driven finish with strong tobacco and leather at the end. The palate is lean. This is a classic Beaucastel that is drinking perfectly, a CDP that AFWE can love! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note Kevin. I am convinced that great CNdP needs 15- 20 years to really show its stuff. Sounds like this is in the sweet spot.

It was surprisingly lean and AFWEish. I agree wholeheartedly that great CPD needs 15-20 years.

Did you decant or pop and pour. Had this a year ago and was underwhelmed with it and maybe it got too much of a decant.

Pop and pour. It was very youthful, i.e. well cellared.

I have always decanted for sediment with this producer. They really do shine with 20+ years on them…

The 78, 81 and 85 are very good if cellared well. The 89 had a major cork as well as shipping issue but the best bottles can be incredible. The 90 is perhaps not as good as the 89 but more consistent.

The 89 is genius, my favorite vintage. Leaking cork issues were significant. A store in Los Angeles had cases of it on the floor and we probably salvaged two cases out of eight where the corks looked right.

I was thinking about opening an 06. Anyone tried 06 recently?

Beaucastel and Beaucastel Hommage à Jacques Perrin (even more hinted by mourvèdre) are produced in a strong/corpulent style …

I recently had a great Beaucastel 2000 (starting its life) and even a young and solar but excellent Beaucastel 2007, perfectly balanced (which is not the case of Charvin 2007, for example).
A comparison with the lovely Rayas 2007 (a balanced bayadère, would have been interesting).

Never tasted Beaucastel 2006.

I had a 1998 Beaucastel this weekend. It was excellent and in a great spot.

1/26/2019 - I like this wine: 93 points (Edit)
P&P with no decant. Earty, mushrooms, damp leather on the nose. Red fruit, licorice, peppery and sweet on the palate. Lingering finish.

Not recent but…

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice report Kevin. Beaucastel has been a favorite since I was introduced to that great 1978 in the early 90s. Started buying regularly with the 1988s.

I was similarly impressed by a 2001 Beaucastel on Christmas: 12/25/2018 Cellared since release. Perfect cork and fill. Opened an hour without decanting, then drunk over 2 days. Dark red core, lightening at the rim. Potent nose of blackberry, plum, black cherry, fresh earth and floral notes with a mouth-watering savory element. Full body, excellent balance, good acidity and integrated tannins, layers of complexity, flavors follow the nose, medium-long finish. No deterioration on day 2 after a night in the fridge. In a great spot now and should hold there for another 5-10 years. Excellent to outstanding.

I have my doubts about the 2007. It’s been up and down. My most recent experience was not as positive as Laurent’s. 2007 Beaucastel: 11/14/2018 Another half-bottle cellared since release, and 2 and 1/2 years since my last try. Perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Dark fruits, sweet cherries, meaty/savory notes on the nose. Ripe sweet fruit sliding into over-ripe and raisiny without carrying the meaty/savory components over from the nose. Decent balancing acidity and a medium long finish. This is disappointing as the last half-bottle was showing signs of starting to go in the right direction, trading the excessively sweet ripeness for more savory notes. This bottle is backsliding. Still very good as a cocktail wine but that’s not what I’ve been cellaring them for. I’ll wait another 3-5 years on the next one but my optimism has faded.

Been over a year since I’ve tried a 2000 but expect it’s still drinking great. 2000 Beaucastel: 11/27/2017 Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Red fruits, mushroom, complex earth and umami notes on the nose. Acid and tannin balance nicely against the ripe fruit, medium-full body, nice finish, drinking beautifully and should do so for another decade, excellent.

My luck with the 1989s has been excellent. No leakers. One of my favorite vintages. A recent bottle was everything I could ask for. 1989 Beaucastel: 9/1/2018 Cellared since release, cork is wine-stained 80% of the way to the top but no signs of leakage, fill within 1" of the cork. Medium-red core, lighter at the rim but no bricking. Wonderful complex nose of cherry, garrigue, leather and meat. No discernible Brett. Medium body, beautifully balanced, great mix of ripe fruit and sweet aged complexity, moderate finish. This is at peak and well-stored bottles should drink well for at least another 5 years. Outstanding.

Haven’t had a 2006 since release. Sounds like they are starting to show well.

David,
When the 89 is on, it is the best Beaucastel. BTW, the 89 Hommage a Jacques Perrin flirts with perfection.

Flirt? No, it is full on perfection! I remember sharing a magnum with our friend Eric and a group of winemakers. Everyone got goosebumps on the first sip.

Can somebody help? What is AFWE?

Jurgen,
You need to keep up with the WB lingo.
“Anti-Flavor Wine Elite”

:slight_smile: Thanks!

I’d be more interested if you said that perfection was returning the favor.

Interesting. I’ve had ithe 1989 Hommage only once, also from magnum, and brought to a tasting in Baltimore years ago by a very generous participant. Easily in my top 10 wines ever, and I would not argue with perfection.

David,
Last summer we opened the 2000 and 2001 side-by-side. Our 2001 was similar to the other excellent experiences noted by you and others in this thread. Great balance with complex fruit and resolved tannins. The 2000 however was not as good as what you and Laurent report. The acidity was a bit too prominent, impacting the overall balance. While still solid, earlier bottles were better, so I figured it may be on the (gentle) downslope.

Regards,
Peter