TN: 2017s from Selbach Oster plus a few 2016s

Selbach-Oster was in town today to present a number of their 2017s, plus a few 2016s. I have long admired the wines- finding them among the most ethereal of the great Mosel producers- but their availability dwindled here in Texas for a while. I was actually glad of the presence of a few 2016s because 2017 proved today to be such a singular vintage that, without a few of its direct antecedents present, I would have thought perhaps there had been a stylistic shift at Selbach-Oster. In time, I am sure that error would have been remedied- but still, today was the first time I have tasted a range of 2017s and they are something else. The closest comparison I can make is 2005, but even so, these 2017s have more fire to them and plenty of acid backing as well.

It also appears to be a vintage that favors the upper Pradikat levels. Happily, today’s visit included a very generous order book as well as a number of enthusiastic fellow buyers (I attended in the capacity of consumer, not in an ITB role), so later this year a group of us will be able to sit down and taste from the starred Auslesen to the TBA itself.

Two side notes,

Starting with the 2017 vintage, the single designation Auslese-level wines (Anrecht, Schmitt and Rotlay) will bear gold capsules in every vintage going forward as a means to further emphasize their relative high status in the Selbach-Oster range.

Generally speaking, Kabinett and lower were under screw-cap. The rest bore corks.

And now the TNs. Except where noted, all wines were opened 60-90 minutes prior to tasting,

2016 Selbach-Oster Riesling Kabinett [from bottle opened the day prior]

cuddly nose with bread notes, creamy minerals and sweet orange, on the palate a pretty wine but a bit short in the middle and on the tail end- though to be fair that could be a perception issue in light of the fact this came after the range of 2017s noted below, solid and savory wine. **+, now to 2025.

2016 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett [from bottle opened the day prior]

a generous and inviting nose of citrus and pear with attractive white minerals and hints of baked bread, a nicely broad palate of apples and pears, good length, a most enjoyable 2016- drink it now while the 2015s and 2017s bide their time. ***, now to 2025+

2016 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling ***

lovely ethereal nose with peach, mango and rose petal, sweet clay, good depth on the generous and also lively palate, fine long finish that is quite dry but also has a slightly sweet note to it, an interesting sort of combo of dry and sweet- a singular and attractive wine worth seeking out. ***+, now to 2030

2016 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich Riesling Anrecht

soaring nose of peaches and pear with some generous hints of tropical fruits, on the palate a beauty of sheer class, generous if still primary, pure peach, lemongrass, good length, soft and rounded lemon acids in the finish, lovely now and should be a mid-term charmer, but is also has the balance to perhaps evolve and endure even more than I imagine at present. **(), now to 2030+

2016 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Auslese ‘Schmitt’

a generous and alluring nose with orchard and citrus fruits, apple, pear, on the palate a great sense of joy already, lively, open and inviting, at present the fruits tend toward peach and pear with lime tones on the rounded acid finish, river-worn white pebbles, hints of blueberry, a succulent wine, fine lengthy finish. **()+, now to 2030+

2017 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese trocken

pale lemon color, peaches and apple on the nose, on the palate apple-driven fruit with soft white marble notes, solid primary mid-palate, good lengthy complex dry finish with darker gravel notes. ***, now to 2027+

2017 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese feinherb Ur Alte Reben

pale lemon color, citrus on the nose- oranges, some orchard, playful limes and minerals, on the palate a bit tight, fine depth and persistence with a great citrus fruit presence, splendidly defined, long zesty finish of lime-flavored acids. **(*)+, 2022-2030+

2017 Selbach-Oster Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese feinherb Alte Reben

pale lemon color, a more ethereal nose than the Zeltinger Sonnenuhr, soft citrus, cuddly peaches, hints of white blossoms, on the palate well rounded with good depth, closed but showing a good bit of primary fruit at present, lovely sweet earth note leading into a fine long finish dripping with limes. **(*), 2022-2030+

2017 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett

light lemon color, very tight on the nose- showing hints only of dark earth, hints of grey stone, on the palate very tight with strong tones of jagged white stones, peach and apple fruits somewhat in hiding, oranges, fine lengthy finish, very closed at present- but very promising, and yet despite being so closed this feels as though it will be quite flamboyant when mature. (****), 2027-2040

2017 Selbach-Oster Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Spätlese

light lemon color, broad and deep nose, quite closed but with strong hints of intense blood orange, on the palate a delightful wine with more heft than I had expected, light on its feet as one would hope but also with a great persistence and even some degree of opulence, excellent length with a great mass of lime acids buffered by the sheer scale of the fruit, a Spatlese with the heart of a lion, so little is showing but there is no doubt this will be a real stunner in time. (****)+, 2027-2050

2017 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich Riesling Auslese Anrecht

bright light lemon color, a grand and tight nose- yet still showing hints of mango, peach and pear, a palate of formidable scale, as with the nose quite grand while also remaining very primary and closed, pear, citrus, white cherry, peach, citrus, deep and brooding mid-palate, superb and effortless length with the genteel fruit coating a generous acid base, this should be sensational in time. (*****), 2030-2050+

2017 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Rotlay

bright lemon color, nose almost completely shut down at first- and yet brooding with notes of citrus and orchard fruits plus a few tropical delights, on the palate a thunderous impact, also closed but with a grand force of full and sweet fruit showing hints of blueberry, pear, peach, apple and pineapple, length to burn- a mass of lime acids dripping in sweet peaches and pears, an hour later (the only wine I was able to revisit) and the thunderous palate impact had become a breathtaking blaze of wild blood oranges on a scale one rarely sees, in this respect I can only compare it to the 2001 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile 375eme Anniversaire or one of the great Mosel dessert wines from the 2005 vintage, Auslese in name and deft balance- this feels more like a Beerenauslese in scale and richness, utterly magnificent. (*****), 2035-2050+

Fun tasting!! Your notes and commentary seem to suggest this lineup of '17s has high acidity; is that true? How would you compare these’17s to '15s and '10s?

Since really getting deep into German wines over the past decade, I have read a good deal about acid levels and how certain types are more visible than others- to the extent I am fearful to give a definitive answer.

I will say this- the acids were noticeable and large in scale, but in good proportion to the wines themselves. Based on my limited experience, I would say similar to 2010 in terms of relative presence. And not as harsh as they could be with 2008s (though 2008 is turning out fantastic.)

I was fearful of posing the question for the same reason.
I love 2010, so I like hearing they lean in that direction.

Tom, thanks for the great notes. Do you know if Classic is selling any of these?

Don’t think 2017 acids from what I’ve tasted are as prevalent as in 2010 but they are at a good, zingy level in MSR.

For me 2017 Rotlay was the Auslese highlight of Rieslingfeier last week. (Not many Auslesen poured though.) Perhaps more complex and greater potential to my taste than even the 2005 Scharzhofberger Auslese that Egon Muller poured although it’s hard to compare those directly given the very different stages of development.

Thanks for the notes Tom.

I am sorry I forgot to reply to your PM. I saw it, and put is aside until I had a few additional minutes for a reply…then forgot.

Is a response still useful?

Thanks for your notes, although I have to admit I’m still completely befuddled by your scoring system. :slight_smile:

We went to a dinner this past Monday with the producer, very nice wines

Love 2010, esp. for Auslese and GCA. Schloss Lieser and Reinhold Haart were esp. successful in this regard. Cannot wait to try similar 2017s.

2017 is nowhere near as extreme as 2010.

Is 2017 even as extreme as 2015?

I think 2017 is better integrated. Probably similar acid levels.

Yes- they offered the full range plus a number of other items from the Theise catalog, but get ahold of Clare fairly quickly since I believe they are trying to place the order ASAP as most of the wines are now stateside and available for delivery (ie first come, first served.)

Do let me know BTW if you are interested in any German tastings this year. Between 2016 and 2017, there is a lot to taste and I am going to have a few Sunday afternoon gatherings at Classic primarily for the Classic team and fellow Riesling collectors (this is in my personal capacity as a collector- no ITB role.)

No worries. Once we got to the Auslesen I had already decided to order the stickies. I have never had their BA or TBA, hence the PM. But the tasting convinced me!

Pretty much a direct adaptation of the 5 star scale Michael Broadbent uses.

Zero to 5 stars- and in practice 3 stars is good, 2 stars is average and 0-1 is a wine I would not advise trying. Also, there is a somewhat subjective application of expectations based on a wine’s pedigree/breed. Otherwise, first growths would almost always get 4-5 stars unless in decline and an entry level wine would never get past the 2 star point.

This does not translate well into the 100 point scale- but the best approximation would be to say 5 stars is 95-100, 4 stars is 90-94, 3 stars 85-89, 2 stars 80-84, and 1 star 70-79. And there are many 3 star wines I would, and do, buy and cellar. The mentality of the approach does not translate well into the 100 point scale we are used to from school (which is fine for me since I do not look at wine that way to begin with.)

The parentheses are a rough indication of where I think things are on a maturity scale- and more about how visible the wine is versus actual time. In other words, *() means a 5 star wine that, as the year range will indicate, might be 5 or 50 years from maturity- but I think you can get a pretty good look at it right now and see a fair amount of what it has in store- or at least enough to enjoy the wine.

With my low financial resources, I am buying the 2017 Kabinett…Cdn $44.

Thanks Tom, I was at the new Southlake location yesterday and met with Clare. I would be interested in future tastings, so appreciate you keeping me in mind.

Great notes, Tom, thanks for the information. Even though these are annual buys, good to have confirmation nothing is awry.

Do the acids resemble the '13s? I often found those wines to be quite shrill and unpleasant. I used to think acidity was good and more was always better, but after loading up on '15s I’m not sure I need another high-acid vintage right now. Would love to hear perspectives.