TN: 1991 Musar

The cork was soaked all the way through, and dried bits of wine glued the capsule to the neck of the bottle. I think this is just a bad cork, as other bottles from the case have not been like this. But they’ve all had at least a little bit of seepage. So maybe heat damage after all?

In any case – any wine but Musar, my expectations would have taken a huge dip. But IME, Musar seems to stand up well to the worst abuse.

And this was as fine a bottle of Musar as I’ve had. Perfectly at peak, with hints of VA (only hints) vying with sour cherries and some secondary & tertiary elements (leather, tobacco, cedar). But the fruit stays in front at all times – not pushing the other elements out of the picture, mind you, but it stays in front. A great match with winter pot roast with beans and root veggies. I’d even call it elegant, not someone one usually says about Musar.

I bought a case of this way back when (not actually on release, though), and this is the best bottle yet (of maybe 4 I’ve opened). No hurry, may yet be on the upswing.

BTW, this was pulled from the cellar (at 56F) and served within 15 minutes, with no decant. So definitely on the cooler side.

Thanks for the tasting note, Lee. I’m familiar with but haven’t had many Musar wines. As this is a birth year vintage for me, I’ll have to look out for some!

Maxwell, Snap these up now…they seem to get exponentially more expensive over time. I remember when the '95 went from $92 to $157 overnight from the distributor. That’s cost to the retail store that then has to mark up the wine to sell for a profit. If you’re paying the coin for a bottle like this, I’d also strongly encourage you to seek out Broadbent imported bottles. I would dare say I have a fair amount of experience with this producer and often find that it is the Broadbent imported bottles that show the best. Bottles from other importers have always been a let-down.

@Lee - This has been a vintage I’ve really enjoyed and always appreciate updates on the older bottles of Musar. It sounds like you’re barely half-way into your case of 91’s (I’m envious my Musar bottles only go back to '95). You’re spot-on about these bottles being damn near bullet-proof to seepage…great to see the note on this.

Kirk, the 1995 wholesale price of $92 that you cite was years after release, right?

FYI, looks like Tom K. has some vintages available. Thread over on Commerce Corner.

Yes…this would have been sometime around 2011 or 2012 when the big jump came up.

Anytime you’re buying Musar it’s always worth checking out who the importer is.

'91 is indeed a superb vintage of Musar and along with the '99 perhaps the best Musar vintage in the '90s. I note you popped and poured. My little circle of Musar fanatics tend to find that for most Musar reds a long decant provides best results, much like aged Barolo.

Broadbent is, in my humble opinion, the premier importer of Musar. They seem to take great care with their bottles, and if buying aftermarket is worth checking on and seeking out.

I have one bottle of the '91 left, so thanks for the update!

Thank you Scott for bringing me up. I am selling direct from Broadbent stocks so if anyone is interested in Musar reds (and whites) let me know. I can get the 14 rose as well but it’s $.

FYI, I had the '66 and '67 Musar about 5 years back, and both were still amazing wines. Not sure either would make it another yet 20 more years (i.e. both were mature), but they were delicious and with no hint of being past prime.

What’s your price on the 14 Musar Rose? I think I paid $40 for the 2012.

Kirk, thanks for the advice!

What about '95? As much as I love '99, I think '95 is better. It’s been a while since I’ve had one, though, and they are definitely different styles.

Alongside the '72 the '91 is arguably the best Musar I’ve had. And I’ve had a few. But as Wade said above, even the older ones tend to need air to truly shine.

I love it though unlike the '99 I think it needed time to show what it had. The last bottle I opened (3-5 years ago?) was the best. Anyway, I have one on dock for Saturday so I’ll see how it’s doing now in short order and will try and report back.

From memory I’d still give the 1999 the edge but I never had then side by side and I’m glad to have both. Wish I still had some 1991s, went though a fair amount of those before the price started skyrocketing.

I’d love to know what you think of that '95 when you get to it. I only have a couple left and am trying to be patient.