TN: 2011 Domaine Matrot Meursault 1er Cru Charmes

• 2011 Domaine Matrot Meursault 1er Cru Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (1/21/2019)
    Just taking on a hint of toasty development but still a vital and energetic wine. There are cooler notes of slate and Arum lily. It has pure white peach fruit and a suggestion of rockmelon. It is rich but also compact, with a strong line of minerally acidity and plenty of chalky dry extract to the back-end.

Posted from CellarTracker

Good to hear the premox bug hasn’t’t hit these yet. It has been notorious in earlier vintages for being gone even after a few years, certainly less than 7 like yours.

Jeremy is brave. Matrot is off my list.

They are aware of the issue. Now they’re bottling by gravity, paying more attention to dissolved oxygen and monitoring sulfur levels more closely. That is at least encouraging.

nice to know—it was a cheap source of MP when young—they need to switch to Diam or screwcaps, too.

Just had a 14 Matrot Meursault village in screw cap. The wine was meh…tropical, racy acidity, and simple.

Hope you’re not blaming the screwcaps for those flavors. Most new world Chardonnays outside of the states are under screwcap.

Not at all! I’m a proponent for screw cap…it was just not up to “Meursault” standards for me.

Btw…this was a 14 Matrot Meursault.

+1

Thanks. Good to hear that. I assumed that by referencing screw caps in a negative tasting note you were making a cause and effect statement .

1+1=25 blush

Jeremy, did your wine have a screw cap? If so, maybe that was why it’s still alive. How many bottles do you have left? If many, maybe you could start a new thread about WB and SCs (or just use this thread) and report on your remaining bottles. It’d be interesting to see if you can consume a case of WB over an extended period without seeing the pox, especially for a producer with such a bad track record as Matrot.

I acknowledge that, as has been mentioned above, that they have changed their winemaking to try to tackle this issue, so SCs can’t take all the credit if the pox is eliminated.

Conversely if WB under SC still gets poxed, maybe SCs aren’t the magic bullet after all

I have no WB under SC :frowning:

You are counting your chickens. They don’t bottle the Charmes under screw cap, at least AFAIK - just some Meursault and some of the regional appellations.

That’s a petty, although Jeremy is in Australia, so there is always a chance that they get special bottlings under SC.

Matrot is also off my list for older bottles or aging. A local supermarket had some 2010s and 2011s at decent prices about five years ago. They were showing well so I just bought them and drank them (a bottle at a time).

-Al

It was under cork James.

I have had a fair bit of Jean-Claude Boiset and Benjamin Leroux under screwcap. Never had an oxidised one. Had a humble2007 Jean-Claude Boisset Savigny-Les-Beaune Blanc under screwcap last year. A splendid drink, developing properly but fresh as a daisy. Never had an oxidised white full stop under screwcap.

Cheers
Jeremy

Fantastic data points, Jeremy.

Is anyone taking notice or are people just not prepared to accept SCs as a possible solution to the pox? If so, why not?