TN: Maison Anselmet 2011 Fumin (Vallee d'Aosta)

This was one of those bottles I grabbed out of curiosity and ended up aging for a little while longer than I expected. I wish I grabbed more than one, as I’d love to see what another 5-10 years world do. I generally like the whites and reds from this region as they have some unique flavor/structure profiles and are usually pretty food-friendly. I opened this with a thick pork chop stuffed with prosciutto and a Parmesan-like cheese (whose name escapes) me gifted by a customer who imports some great foodstuffs from Europe. Pan sauce made with dry sherry.

(On Ebob this would already be on the food pages!)

Aromas of ripe red and black cherry. Almost fruit confit/compote aromas. Dark, pretty saturated color.

Dense, rich, ripe fruit. Very cherry and raspberry, with a sunny sweetness that doesn’t come across as at all hot. This has plenty of acidity and freshness to balance the ripeness, and it worked very well with dinner (the pan sauce, in particular). Interesting mountain wine that balances the relative extremes of acidity and ripe flavors.

I’ve enjoyed almost every bottle of Anselmet I’ve opened. They’re a rare find and I had a hard time getting them even when I was in Italy. If you see them, they’re worth snapping up. Thanks for the reminder…it’s been a few years since I had one of these.

Thanks for the note. It reminded me I have some 2004 and 2007 Anselmet wines to drink at some point… need to put that on the calendar!

Yeah, i’d love to try some other varieties here.

Based on this, no rush!

According to my records, I still have a btl of this that I got from you, Jim. Have to start looking around for it.
Tom