Dehlinger live

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
David Baum

Dehlinger live

#1 Post by David Baum » January 23rd, 2019, 10:37 am

No room in the cellar and lots of Dehlinger in it so not sure how much if any I'll add. Of note was a really nice description with a few maps showing where various bottlings come from, soil, planting dates etc. Really appreciated that.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: Dehlinger live

#2 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 23rd, 2019, 10:41 am

I JUST picked up my case from the Fall shipment yesterday at Spectrum, so I'm gonna have to hold off on this one, though there were some really cool Pinot offerings
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jmigliano

#3 Post by Jmigliano » January 23rd, 2019, 11:26 am

Really good wines at good prices. I think they Pinot they offered in the fall was like $30 and I thought it was really good.
J o h n

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by R. Frankel » January 23rd, 2019, 7:21 pm

What surprised was the Cabernet. Second vintage in a row with very high scores from Vinous (96). Seems like an outlier for a $60 Cab, and I’m intrigued. Anyone tried these?
Rich Frankel

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Chris Seiber » January 23rd, 2019, 7:34 pm

What are the prices these days?

PHuff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by PHuff » January 24th, 2019, 6:14 am

R. Frankel wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 7:21 pm
What surprised was the Cabernet. Second vintage in a row with very high scores from Vinous (96). Seems like an outlier for a $60 Cab, and I’m intrigued. Anyone tried these?
I have not had any of the recent vintages, but I always look to pick up back vintages at auction, etc.......The Dehlinger Cabs are really good, and age well. Coming from the Russian River AVA, they are a bit more high-toned than many of the cult Napa Cabs. A real value in the world of Napa Cabs......
Paul

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Alan Rath » January 24th, 2019, 9:32 am

R. Frankel wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 7:21 pm
I try them (and even buy some on occasion) at their release pickup every year (actually twice a year). It's no surprise that they score well, Dehlinger has been making excellent Cabernet for literally decades. I would much prefer to drink a Dehlinger than most Napa cabs; even though they are a bit "bigger" than my typical preferences, they're more restrained, and noticeably less oaked than average Napa.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Eric L.

#8 Post by Eric L. » January 25th, 2019, 11:23 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 7:34 pm
What are the prices these days?
for the new releases

2016 Estate Chardonnay - $42
2016 Goldridge Syrah - $45
2016 Renatus Pinot Noir - $52
2016 Altamont Pinot Noir - $62
2016 Champ de Mars Pinot Noir - $70
E r i c
L u t k i n

David Baum

#9 Post by David Baum » January 25th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Fyi, they usually do another release in about a month. The equinox release which includes RRV Syrah, pinot and Rise of PN. Prices are much less, the wines all great and ready to go. The rose is my favorite domestic rose and I've been buying it every year since they first released it a few years ago. I served a few cases of RRV pinot at my daughters bat mitzvah two years ago and it was a crowd favorite also

Jason Hagen

#10 Post by Jason Hagen » January 25th, 2019, 5:27 pm

I have stopped buying wines but I stuck to their Cabs and occasion Bordeaux blends. Dotted with a few syrah and chardonnays.

Wonderful wines and they offer Library releases.

Jason

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#11 Post by Joe Chanley » July 9th, 2019, 9:08 am

I see Alan mentioned that Dehlinger is bigger in style....is that consistent across all of their wines?

I'm heading toward the Sebastopol area in a month and wanted to check out some places in the area. Planning to hit up Pax at the Barlow and looking around the general area - any thoughts?

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Alan Rath » July 9th, 2019, 9:14 am

Joe, note my comment was not that they are "bigger in style" in an absolute sense, just that the Cabs are plenty big for my tastes - and much preferable to much of what comes out of Napa. I believe you can now visit and taste, with appt, at Dehlinger. I'd highly recommend doing that if you can arrange it.

http://www.dehlingerwinery.com/visiting
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#13 Post by Joe Chanley » July 9th, 2019, 10:02 am

Okay, thanks for the clarification Alan. I read through a few other threads that mention a shift in style, notably with the Pinots. I was just curious as I tend to lean AFWE. Thanks for the reply.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Chris Seiber » July 9th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Joe Chanley wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 10:02 am
Okay, thanks for the clarification Alan. I read through a few other threads that mention a shift in style, notably with the Pinots. I was just curious as I tend to lean AFWE. Thanks for the reply.
The wines are pretty far from AFWE. As of when I stopped buying a few years ago, the pinots were consistently 14.9% on the label, which frankly makes me think that (if you understand how the labeling works) they could well be higher, and they tasted like they might be a bit higher.

Having said that, they've always managed a pretty, smooth, somewhat feminine style for wines with that level of ripeness, plus wines that tend to age better than other high ripeness/alcohol California pinots.

I've always liked their wines, but a combination of rising ripeness levels and pricing caused me to stop a few years ago. In the right moment and mood, I do still enjoy the ones I have left occasionally. I would also still be happy buying old vintages of the pinots where I could find them.

Return to “Wine Talk”