TN: 2014 Idlewild Nebbiolo Fox Hill Vineyard

Had this with dinner a couple nights ago and turned out to be a great choice. Did not decant but was opened for an hour or so prior to tasting. Lovely aromas of rose petals, cherries, tar and eucalyptus. Flavors of dried cherries, roses, earth, tar and iodine. The wine has good acidity and tannins that persist but are not at all harsh making for a long complex finish. The Idlewild Nebbiolo is finished in neutral oak and is totally transparent in aroma and flavor.

What to pair with. How about a huge juicy Pork Chop Marsala, the earthy savory notes of the dish paired with the fruit, earth and floral notes of the Nebbiolo perfectly. Cheers!

Tom
IMG_20190118_184855.jpg
IMG_20190118_193204.jpg

Good choice, Tom.
Hpw long do you think that’s gonna go out?
Tom

Nice note on this wine, Tom. I enjoyed the first two vintages (2012-2013) of Idlewild Nebbiolo but I feel that with the 2014 vintage it’s really taken a step up, and the 2015 may be even better. During a recent visit Sam Bilbro mentioned some of the winemaking changes he made for the Nebbiolo starting with the 2014 vintage and I’d say they’ve paid off in a big way. It should be interesting to see how the Nebbiolo from Sam’s new Wild-Ruth Ranch site in Yorkville Highlands turns out - I believe the first Nebbiolo fruit from there was just harvested last fall.

Just checked the winery website. Looks like they are sold out of any Nebbiolo currently, I’ll be on the lookout for these wines. I’m glad there is more exploration into domestic Nebbiolo lately. Super cool!

Nice note, thanks for posting. That pairing sounds like it worked perfectly!

Tom, I would say another 5 years for development and then another 5 for holding-drinking. The balance makes it suitable to enjoy now or in the future.

Ken, I agree, starting with 2014 the concentration of the Idlewild Nebbiolo increased and made a more complete wine. The 2015 is a beauty and just a baby. The Wild-Ruth Ranch in Yorkville Highlands is a very exciting project for Nebbiolo AND other Piedmont varieties.

Tom

Yup, Chris. At out NEB gatherings each Summer, the Idlewild, Harrington, Castelli, and DueVigne are consistently good.
You might want to check out those other three.
Tom

Thanks for the list of producers, I’ll have to seek them out!