Oustalet, Gigondas

Michelin has just given Oustalet a star, which is well deserved in my opinion. Sadly, it will likely now be more difficult to get a table…

La Mirande, next to the Pope’s Palace in Avignon, has been similarly recognised. While not quite in the same league as Oustalet, eating in the garden in the height of Summer with the Palace in the background is wonderfully atmospheric and a great escape from the clamour of the city.

Beautiful place. We had a quick lunch there just after the Perrins took over in 2010.

We eat at Oustalet with some regularity. I’ve never had any trouble getting a table. It’s true that if you can’t sit outside, there are a limited number of tables, but that is usually off season, so there are a limited number of people wanting a table. In the summer, unless the Mistral is blowing, you can sit outside and you usually won’t get turned away unless you’re a last minute walk-in on a Friday or Saturday night.

By the way, while I think it deserves its star, depending on what’s on the menu, one can sometimes have a better meal at Les Florets and it has plenty of space. The wine list isn’t nearly as goood though.