TN: 2009 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Monprivato (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

2009 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Monprivato - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (1/20/2019)
Opened too soon, but I wanted to test drive a new glass, and this was at hand. Well I have no regrets. Effusively aromatic, this had clear streaks of red cherry, flowers, tar and a high toned, almost tangerine element. I could have done nothing but smell it. Quite light in color, it was not at all light in flavor - very mouthfilling, but only moderate weight. It was a bit of magic that the wine could carry so much flavor. The finish went on and on, with a presence that hangs, long after the wine is gone. Moderately tannic, showing the ripeness of the vintage, but in no way a caricature, this was a real treat to drink now, and probably for years to come.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks, David,

I associate that combination of lightness and flavor intensity with this wine. I have an '03 I have been wanting to open, probably should get around to it.

Thanks for sharing the note…I’m not surprised this was not ready yet given how traditional he is…

You overstate the not readiness. It was still delicious,

I recall this wine being killer and intense on release. No surprise it was good now.

I would have thought it was a bad idea to open this now. Apparently I would have been wrong. Your note really sums up what I find so special about Monprivato.

Great notes, David.