$225-$300 Napa Cabs

I know this has been discussed before, but given recent allocation releases, I wanted to revisit and see what people suggest is “relative QPR” at this price point. With that being said, I understand $300 for a bottle may not be considered QPR by any means for some, but just hoping to get ideas on which wines I want to “try” in 2019 (obviously wallet isn’t large enough to try EVERYTHING).

For one, I really love Vice Versa SVDs (especially the Las Piedras), as well as Memento Mori and basically anything from Realm.

I received (or expect to receive) allocations for the Futo OV/SL, Abreu Rothwell Hyde, Rewa. Was wondering if anyone had any input on those wines as well.

Thanks!

1 Like

At that price point, I would recommend the 2019 Hard Pass

[wink.gif]

Shafer Hillside & Scarecrow (slightly above $300)

I laughed

I don’t feel like I’ve really seen this discussed before, and find the idea kind of fascinating. I think there’s a general consensus around here that there’s a loose correlation between price and quality, especially starting at ~$5/10 and going up to $50/75 or so. Of course exceptions abound in both directions, and this is where the concept of QPR comes in. But I would have thought, at least until today, that there was a general consensus that above say $100, or perhaps $200, the price/quality ratio falls away and the wine is priced on something else entirely. This is not a bad thing per se, but the I would think it entirely eliminates the idea of “value” at the level. “Value” of course, can only exist relative to something else and the idea that, say, a $250 bottle of wine could “drink like” a $500 bottle of wine, and therefore be a good QPR seems absurd to me.

I’m also implicitly assuming that money isn’t really a factor here - that someone in this situation could fill their cellar with $250, $500, or $1,000 bottles, and that they’re buying what they like, such that purchasing a $250 bottle over a $500 bottle is simply a matter of taste and not relative value - after all if you like them both, buy both - but I recognize this latter assumption may not be 100% correct. Sorry to threadjack, can start this as a separate thread if needed.

I think to consider QPR of Napa cabs you have to compare them to something else, say Bordeaux?

I think when talking about the $100-$200+ Cabs you also have to factor in Potential Future Value as some of these wines may be known to increase in value over the years. I think a lot of people are willing to by an expensive wine knowing that they will be either drinking a higher valued wine in the future or that they can potentially sell the wine at or above the price they paid for it.

Maybach materium
Myriad Elysian/empyrean (a little less)

Spottswoode is a classic in that price range. Accendo Cellars is a newer spot in that range…it’s the Araujo family’s new project. Both are in Saint Helena.

With Mayacamas, Mount Eden, Montelena, Monte Bello all having

1. pricing way below the thread title,
  2. multiple decade track records of unquestionably great Cabernet,
  3. that ages perfectly for decades, almost as long as great Bordeaux, and
  4. names that all begin with ‘M’
    why bother with that other obscenely expensive stuff?

What you want to do is make up a grid:
Maya MtE MonteB MonteL
2009 2009 2009 2009
2008 2008 2008 2008
2007 2007 2007 2007

&c - continue it down to the 70s.
Throw a dart.
Find a bottle.
Buy a bottle.
Drink a bottle.
Repeat.

Your desire for great Napa Cab is now sated.

Dan Kravitz

I would also add Bevan & Carter

Can’t go wrong with Shafer Hillside Select and Phelps Insignia.

At this price range I like Spottswoode, Continuum, VHR (the 2015 was $200), Shafer HSS. $175 - $225 is the sweet spot for Napa cabs right now imho.

+1. Well over half of my California wines are from Ridge or Montelena.

They don’t fit Dan’s ‘m’ requirement but I’d toss Togni and Dunn onto that list as well.

Slightly below the price point–MacDonald

+1

More seriously, at the price level of which we speak, there aren’t that many people who get to taste widely across the board.

I’ve had wines in this category that were the dreaded high alcohol, sweet, flabby grotesque Cabernet-parodies, and I’ve had wines that were simply stunning combinations of power and lightness (and I say that as someone who leans very much old world). My scattered, Harlan, Bond, Maybach, Continuum, Spottswoode and Ramey Pedregal (for one not on the radar here) experiences have all been thrillers.

There are a lot (too many!) mediocre Cabs in this price point. So, to me, it’s not so much is this $250 bottle better or as good as that $500 bottle, but is there experiences this $250 bottle delivers better than that $250 bottle.

I’m not sure if that’s quite what you were asking, but that’s my two cents from someone who only occasionally plays in this Realm (ha!).

Do some blind tastings and you will save yourself a lot of money.

I understand $300 for a bottle may not be considered QPR by any means for some, but just hoping to get ideas on which wines I want to “try”

Want to try based on . . .?

This makes sense. It’s also good to point out there are plenty of clunkers at that price level.