TN: 2014 Halcon Vineyards Alturas Syrah

Thoroughly enjoyed this Syrah with dinner a few nights ago, it is just beginning to shed some of it youth and begin to develop. Nose of blackberries, black currant, flowers and pepper. Flavors follow the nose with blackberry, black cherry, olives, acacia flowers and some pepper. What stands out for me is the balance and seamless quality to the wine. Decanted 2 hours, medium bodied, it is exactly what I look for in syrah. Some vintages of Alturas have been “bigger” but the 14 has a balance that makes it tasty AND food friendly. There is nice acidity and sweet tannins to go along with the good texture and mouthfeel of the wine. 13.3 ABV if you are interested.
Nice work by Paul Gordon and team! Normally don’t drink syrah with Italian but the pairing with some rigatoni and homemade meatballs was a winner.
IMG_20190120_181754.jpg
IMG_20190120_181935.jpg

Great note (and pics), Tom!!!

The 2016 is a fragrant salad…beautiful, beautiful nose.

Tom

Glad you enjoyed the 2014 Alturas. It was a slightly higher acid year. A little less savory profile when compared to the 2015 and 2016 vintage.
The 2017 Alturas is a very similar profile to the 2014 - higher, brighter acid, a little lower alc (just under 13%).
You should take a look at the Elevacion. It so interesting to see how 100% whole-cluster creates such a elegant wine with a wild side.

Coincidentally I opened one of these two nights ago. Really stellar stuff. 94 points if I ever used points. Honestly I felt compelled to do so. Pretty special and a great value.

Paul - will you be participating on Berserkers Day?

I had your wine a few years ago and really enjoyed it (bought it on LastBottle.com).

Yes David. Our ninth BD offer!

Paul