Ray Walker's New New Bourbon Company - Saint Cloud Kentucky Bourbon

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Ray Walker's New New Bourbon Company - Saint Cloud Kentucky Bourbon

#251 Post by Siun o'Connell » February 17th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Not sure he promised to "repay" precisely ...he did mention making them whole *when he was able* but stressed the bad financial shape the closing of MI left him in (note that is all mentioned as if he had minimal active role in or responsibility for that closure) and gave no timeline or plan for acting on this offer. Sounds like he's first in line for "whole."

How is it that Ray has the financial ability to launch a new luxury spirits line complete with fancy marketing videos and all but is not able to begin repayment?

E Conway

#252 Post by E Conway » February 17th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Just curious where you are getting your information from regarding Ray. I've been following his company since the Anthony Bourdain days. There's a lot of posts here but I haven't seen anything factual that would indicate fraud. Is it the folks on this thread just don't like the guy? Or does anyone have some factual verifiable evidence that says he defrauded anyone.

Bill Tex Landreth

#253 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » February 17th, 2019, 5:52 pm

E Conway wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 5:49 pm
Just curious where you are getting your information from regarding Ray. I've been following his company since the Anthony Bourdain days. There's a lot of posts here but I haven't seen anything factual that would indicate fraud. Is it the folks on this thread just don't like the guy? Or does anyone have some factual verifiable evidence that says he defrauded anyone.
Nice.

Noob with a first post. Serious shill or plant. Go away, please
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#254 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » February 17th, 2019, 5:54 pm

E Conway wrote:
Actually, Ray is the one who brings up fraud.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#255 Post by Mike Evans » February 17th, 2019, 8:02 pm

E Conway wrote:
Why should customers who lost money on wines purchased but never delivered care whether their losses result from Ray’s incompetence for which he waited years to start taking responsibility or from deliberate fraud? Does Ray honestly believe that he improves his image by “proving” that he isn’t a thief, he’s just so completely inept that the effects on his customers were the same?

Read through some of the lengthy threads here from 2013 and 2014 and you can see for yourself Ray’s history of unkept promises and statements that turned out to be contradictory or incorrect, when he bothered to communicate at all. You can see his history of blaming everyone for his problems but himself. If you haven’t read these threads, then you haven’t really followed Ray Walker and Maison Ilan, you’ve just followed his self-serving and self-promoting media image.

Jim Brennan

#256 Post by Jim Brennan » February 17th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Siun o'Connell wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 5:04 pm
How is it that Ray has the financial ability to launch a new luxury spirits line complete with fancy marketing videos and all but is not able to begin repayment?
That's simple... you form an LLC for your new business and get investors.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#257 Post by CJ Beazley » February 18th, 2019, 5:40 am

E Conway wrote:
[popcorn.gif]
Btw, you need to throw your name on your signature line or somewhere.
It's C(raig)

Victor Hong

#258 Post by Victor Hong » February 18th, 2019, 5:43 am

Jim Brennan wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 9:45 pm
Siun o'Connell wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 5:04 pm
That is how failing hedge funds disappear, enabling former managers to blame their poor past performance on everything and everybody but themselves, before starting new hedge funds.

Wash, rinse, and repeat.
WineHunter.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#259 Post by David Glasser » February 18th, 2019, 6:23 am

E Conway wrote:
Try typing "Maison Ilan" into the Search This Forum box on the front page of the Wine Talk forum. You’ll get numerous threads with first person testimony from people who say Ray repeatedly lied about deliveries and refunds. Several contain responses from Ray. This thread is the longest:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100335

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#260 Post by Richard T r i m p i » February 18th, 2019, 6:24 am

Victor Hong wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 5:43 am
Jim Brennan wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 9:45 pm
That is how failing hedge funds disappear, enabling former managers to blame their poor past performance on everything and everybody but themselves, before starting new hedge funds.
Wash, rinse, and repeat.
It's unbelievable how often and well this works. Real Estate and financial services seem primed...but it's rife in construction and probably every other industry/profession...especially when demand is high and the market's "hot".

A local family businessman made a habit of starting companies, growing them for a few years, selling off hard assets (mostly equipment) to a series of shell companies...and then they'd suddenly stop paying the bills, declare bankruptcy...and a year or two later...reform as a new company. Wash, rinse, repeat. Most were private firms but one was publically traded (penny stock). It made no difference.

Along the way, there were new houses in the Cayman Islands and a litany of extravagances. Finally, 30+ years later, the family business was taken over by a young son interested in the long haul....with many millions of dollars worth of "free" equipment. No one seems interested or able to trace the ownership history from A to Z.

I couldn't live with myself or sleep at night. To others, it's simply business.

RT

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#261 Post by R M Kriete » February 18th, 2019, 10:47 am

Just Google "Fyre Festival" to he how the pros do it. Fascinating movie on Netflix.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#262 Post by Siun o'Connell » February 18th, 2019, 11:07 am

Fyre Festival is a very apt analogy ... perhaps f*ck Jerry would like to produce a Ray documentary too?

Bill Tex Landreth

#263 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » February 20th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Hey, Ray

It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Nick Ellis

#264 Post by Nick Ellis » February 20th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 6:50 pm
Hey, Ray

Love the new avatar.

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#265 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » February 20th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Phew! There’s just not enough popcorn in the world.

Two Periods of Bruins Hockey I’ll never get back.

Ray,

I’m not a client or owed wine. I was ready to go all in on 2009 though and I got laid off from my job. Best thing that ever happened to me.

I’m pretty late here and most of what I could say has been said. But the best is the Pandora’s Box analogy that was mentioned. You put yourself out in the public eye to advance yourself. You rightly deserve the public scrutiny you’ve brought on yourself by your own actions. You don’t get to just brush it off because someone isn’t invested or owed. Blaming it on everyone else doesn’t benefit you.

Sometimes an apology is not enough. You don’t get to spit in somebody’s face, say your sorry, and walk away without consequence.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Gary York

#266 Post by Gary York » February 20th, 2019, 9:48 pm

And even though it is not enough, if you really want to make everyone whole, you could start with an apology to Todd.
ITB

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#267 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 20th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Ray needs to grasp the concept that simply returning folks' money is not "making them whole." Returning folks' money more than half a decade after non-delivery of the items for which said money was paid does not cut it. That does not include interest. It does not reimburse folks for the stress and anxiety attendant to the feeling (and fact) of getting lied to, and/or getting ripped-off. It does not reimburse folks for the time and effort they had to spend in getting said money back (to the extent they ever got their money back at all). Ray seems to either (a) not care or (b) not understand that treating people like shit sucks for those people! There is *real* emotional distress that comes with being treated like shit. Quite frankly, the idea that Ray thinks he is "making people whole" by returning their money to them is insulting. Is it the right thing for Ray to do? Yes. Absolutely. Is it better late than never? Yes. Absolutely. Is it the least Ray can do? Yes. It is. But for him to carry-on as if he has "made whole" his victims --- clown show. **AND** he wants some big ol' Atta Boy! for doing so?!? [rofl.gif] ... talk about pathological ...

... you know, frequently lost in all of this --- if Ray had simply been up-front with everybody (no lies!), had taken responsibility for his actions and inactions, most of his original customers would have stood by him as he learned on the job, on their dime. I know I was ready to do so. But --- and I know this may come as a shocker to some --- getting lied-to has a way of eroding faith and loyalty ... real quick.

There's nothing new under the sun.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Bill Tex Landreth

#268 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » February 21st, 2019, 6:01 am

Gary York wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 9:48 pm
And even though it is not enough, if you really want to make everyone whole, you could start with an apology to Todd.
I could use one as well. Both from Ray and his minion that accused me of being racist.

Christian Becker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#269 Post by Christian Becker » February 21st, 2019, 7:02 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 10:10 pm
Ray needs to grasp the concept that simply returning folks' money is not "making them whole." Returning folks' money more than half a decade after non-delivery of the items for which said money was paid does not cut it. That does not include interest. It does not reimburse folks for the stress and anxiety attendant to the feeling (and fact) of getting lied to, and/or getting ripped-off. It does not reimburse folks for the time and effort they had to spend in getting said money back (to the extent they ever got their money back at all). Ray seems to either (a) not care or (b) not understand that treating people like shit sucks for those people! There is *real* emotional distress that comes with being treated like shit. Quite frankly, the idea that Ray thinks he is "making people whole" by returning their money to them is insulting. Is it the right thing for Ray to do? Yes. Absolutely. Is it better late than never? Yes. Absolutely. Is it the least Ray can do? Yes. It is. But for him to carry-on as if he has "made whole" his victims --- clown show. **AND** he wants some big ol' Atta Boy! for doing so?!? [rofl.gif] ... talk about pathological ...

... you know, frequently lost in all of this --- if Ray had simply been up-front with everybody (no lies!), had taken responsibility for his actions and inactions, most of his original customers would have stood by him as he learned on the job, on their dime. I know I was ready to do so. But --- and I know this may come as a shocker to some --- getting lied-to has a way of eroding faith and loyalty ... real quick.

Just curious. What do you think a fair "Make Whole" amount would be ? Is it a money thing ? Would a 100K make you whole ?

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this hunt. Based on what I've read this guy has a history of "scaming" people so I have no sympathy for him. I just don't see a whole lot of "emotional distress" in this....but that's just me. I would bet most people would be happy just getting their money back.

Gary York

#270 Post by Gary York » February 21st, 2019, 7:24 am

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 6:01 am
Gary York wrote:
I could use one as well. Both from Ray and his minion that accused me of being racist.
Yes, sorry I missed that and you too are owed an apology. As I imagine several/many others are as well.
ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#271 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 21st, 2019, 7:56 am

Gary York wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 7:24 am
Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 6:01 am
Gary York wrote:
Yes, sorry I missed that and you too are owed an apology. As I imagine several/many others are as well.
I don't need/am owed one nor do I care if I get one. I just want everyone who 'took the bait' to be made whole.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#272 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » February 21st, 2019, 10:52 am

I’m not owed wine either but I was pouring for a customer a while back and used the term “I’m a one man show” and the customer laughed and said, like Ray Walker? And I was like no f***ng way. We laughed it off and while part of me wants to laugh now and say thanks Ray for being a joke... honestly, bad actors cast a pall on anyone reasonably looking to establish trust with buyers. So thanks Ray for giving fuel to people’s doubts that any of us in this business might be looking to take advantage of that trust. I really appreciate it and can’t wait for your name to come up again when I’m just trying to do my f***ing job.
Vincent - ITB

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#273 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » February 21st, 2019, 12:46 pm

An hour ago on Facebook...Coming soon!
Attachments
5505157C-6788-43D7-8958-879A9BD4C5CA.jpeg
The Next Scam
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#274 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 21st, 2019, 1:14 pm

Christian Becker wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 7:02 am
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Just curious. What do you think a fair "Make Whole" amount would be ? Is it a money thing ? Would a 100K make you whole ?

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this hunt. Based on what I've read this guy has a history of "scaming" people so I have no sympathy for him. I just don't see a whole lot of "emotional distress" in this....but that's just me. I would bet most people would be happy just getting their money back.
Christian, I have no idea what a "fair" "make whole" amount would be. Speaking only for myself, I'd rather simply get a refund (which I eventually did) and move on. If I had to guess, I'd say most others feel the same way. Different people will react to any given situation differently. Personally, I experience symptoms that strike me as perhaps anxiety-related when I feel like I'm being treated unfairly. The manner in which Ray treated me caused me to experience these symptoms; I doubt I'm alone, but who knows --- maybe I am. And Vincent raised a very good point a few posts above this one: some of us who were mis-treated by Ray in this whole fiasco have had our sense of trust damaged. It only makes sense that a person who gets ripped-off once, twice, thrice ... will develop a mis-trust of others. A lot of folks -- most relevantly Ray -- are focused only on the money here, and not on the aggravation that comes with "dealing with this." This is the only time in my life that buying wine was a miserable experience.

My point was it's insulting/condescending/naive for Ray to come on here, uninvited, proclaiming that refunding people their money, and nothing more, is "making them whole." I'm sure everyone who got their money back would have been *happier* if Ray simply delivered/performed in a manner that even approached reasonable.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Corey N.

#275 Post by Corey N. » February 21st, 2019, 1:44 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 12:46 pm
The packaging is legit gorgeous.

#NoSnark
Nøv¡¢k

Bill Tex Landreth

#276 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » February 21st, 2019, 1:48 pm

Corey N. wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:44 pm

#NoSnark
Lipstick on a pig.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#277 Post by Mark Y » February 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm

"Ray’s great-great-grand father, Louis Walker, fought in the Civil War for Kentucky’s Company 48 Mounted Infantry, signing up for duty the same day that the battle of Gettysburg began. Louis’ father, James, was in the War of 1812".

that's pretty cool Ancestry.com stuff?
Y.e.

Gary York

#278 Post by Gary York » February 21st, 2019, 2:17 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:48 pm
Corey N. wrote:

#NoSnark
Lipstick on a pig.
Advocacy groups for pigs and their attorneys will be contacting you shortly.
ITB

Bill Tex Landreth

#279 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » February 21st, 2019, 2:45 pm

Gary York wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 2:17 pm
Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
Corey N. wrote:

#NoSnark
Lipstick on a pig.
My give-a-shitter, it is broken.

Maybe spousal abuse and child abandonment advocates need to contact Ray and any of his potential investors. To that point, I cannot imagine that the ATF doesn’t have something to say about all of this. Somebody else has to be the license holder for this IMO.

Again, my cousin is looking into this in Kentucky as her time permits.

Mike Cohen

#280 Post by Mike Cohen » February 21st, 2019, 3:49 pm

Gary York wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 2:17 pm
Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
Corey N. wrote:

#NoSnark
Lipstick on a pig.
Gary, this is lol funny. 😂

EricG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#281 Post by EricG » February 21st, 2019, 4:08 pm

Well let’s start with if Ray has actually followed through with returning the funds that people are owed, let alone making people “whole”. Likely this attempt at redemption is just another failure in a long string of failures for Mr. Walker.
G = G_e_r_b_e_r

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#282 Post by Siun o'Connell » February 21st, 2019, 8:18 pm

Wondering if the packaging designer was paid and by whom given that Ray owes some folks. Did notice he's not pre-selling the bourbon - phew!

rfelthoven

#283 Post by rfelthoven » February 21st, 2019, 8:58 pm

His website says a 2016 Kentucky Straight Bourbon is due to be offered in March 2019, 3000 bottles worth. This thread seems like a way to perhaps drum up interest for the stuff, and possibly to use receipts from those March forward sales to pay off those who were harmed in the past?
Ron

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#284 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » February 21st, 2019, 9:41 pm

Mark Y wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
"Ray’s great-great-grand father, Louis Walker, fought in the Civil War for Kentucky’s Company 48 Mounted Infantry, signing up for duty the same day that the battle of Gettysburg began. Louis’ father, James, was in the War of 1812".

that's pretty cool Ancestry.com stuff?
#stolenvalor
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Scott G r u n e r

#285 Post by Scott G r u n e r » February 21st, 2019, 10:15 pm

Does anyone know what distillery the whisky is from yet? Know it is just repackaged whisky from some big bulk operation, just curious which one...
//Cynic

Bill Tex Landreth

#286 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » February 22nd, 2019, 5:35 am

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 10:15 pm
Does anyone know what distillery the whisky is from yet? Know it is just repackaged whisky from some big bulk operation, just curious which one...
Working on it.

Andrew L.

#287 Post by Andrew L. » February 26th, 2019, 7:35 am

rfelthoven wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 8:58 pm
This thread seems like a way to perhaps drum up interest for the stuff, and possibly to use receipts from those March forward sales to pay off those who were harmed in the past?
Spoiler alert: He's not going to give a dime to the people still owed wine. He just wants to make it look like he is.
L I T T L E

Marcus Dean
GCC Member
GCC Member

#288 Post by Marcus Dean » February 26th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Andrew L. wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 7:35 am
rfelthoven wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 8:58 pm
This thread seems like a way to perhaps drum up interest for the stuff, and possibly to use receipts from those March forward sales to pay off those who were harmed in the past?
Spoiler alert: He's not going to give a dime to the people still owed wine. He just wants to make it look like he is.
I would have thought that was pretty obvious, just a smoke screen so if he gets asked about disgruntled customers he can say that he is already engaged with them and sorting it all out,
no one will get paid.

Bill Tex Landreth

#289 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » February 26th, 2019, 5:31 pm

Notice he hasn’t logged into WB in over a week.

Dude is gone.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#290 Post by Craig G » February 26th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Does anyone know what has happened with his wife Christian and kids in France?
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Nevin Miller

#291 Post by Nevin Miller » February 26th, 2019, 8:27 pm

I’d like to see just one person, after the start of this thread, come say he/she was made whole. My guess...will never happen.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#292 Post by Randy Bowman » February 26th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Actually, it will and/or has for several minor investors, those who are vocal and affordable. The BIG money people remain silent. I guess big investors don't want to be known or identified for any loses/failures, so they quietly sue or claim the loss on taxes and move on, rather than pursue criminal charges. If they can avoid attachment to the failing business, they can't be held accountable for the losses of the victims, Nothing happens to the miscreant whose business failed and he/she is free to move on to their next high profile business endeavor. If the timing was better, Ray Walker and Insatiable would have the replacement for Anthony Bourdain.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#293 Post by Kris Patten » February 26th, 2019, 9:16 pm

I find it interesting that the most vocal people here aren't owed a penny. I am and every post from those not owed makes me think I am further and further from any restitution.

Regardless I never expected a penny back so anything is a plus, what I will say as someone ITB is I will make sure everyone I know is clear on Ray's history and steer way clear of Ray and any project, which this post alone may negate any restitution, restitution be damned.

The whiskey if it has any age is from MGP, is my guess, which has great product to build sales while your whiskey ages.....if Ray thought Burgundy was tough, Bourbon followers go back to the grain of corn and field....if he isn't transparent hellfail epically.

Sad part is if Ray had just failed at MI, I could have written an epic Bourbon script for him and he'd make millions, but he couldn't just own it.

Oh, well.
ITB

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#294 Post by Kris Patten » February 26th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 8:44 pm
Actually, it will and/or has for several minor investors, those who are vocal and affordable. The BIG money people remain silent. I guess big investors don't want to be known or identified for any loses/failures, so they quietly sue or claim the loss on taxes and move on, rather than pursue criminal charges. If they can avoid attachment to the failing business, they can't be held accountable for the losses of the victims, Nothing happens to the miscreant whose business failed and he/she is free to move on to their next high profile business endeavor. If the timing was better, Ray Walker and Insatiable would have the replacement for Anthony Bourdain.
Luckily wine and spirits is a pretty tight knit group. Hard to "fool me twice".
ITB

Corey N.

#295 Post by Corey N. » February 27th, 2019, 6:39 am

Kris Patten wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 9:16 pm
The whiskey if it has any age is from MGP, is my guess, which has great product to build sales while your whiskey ages.....if Ray thought Burgundy was tough, Bourbon followers go back to the grain of corn and field....if he isn't transparent hellfail epically.
Kris,

Like you, I initially thought that the bourbon was likely sourced from MGP. However, it is labeled as Kentucky straight bourbon which, I believe, means that the product must have been distilled in Kentucky. Since MGP is an Indiana company, I do not believe that they are the source. Instead, it is likely very young bourbon from Kentucky (my hunch is a newer/small operation). The only other explanation is that the product is mislabeled.
Last edited by Corey N. on February 27th, 2019, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nøv¡¢k

GregP

#296 Post by GregP » February 27th, 2019, 10:24 am

I'll go with the "mislabeled" one given all I've read so far. Though last time I checked into it myself, seemed one can find Kentucky made Bourbon, no issue, minimum $200K buy in (don't recall the number of bottles it resulted in, though). Maybe a higher minimum buy-in these days, but still doable. Really see no reason why the board doesn't do it itself if so many are inclined, all it takes is for someone to organize the buy in, I am sure the seller will help with bottling as well. Call it Not Ray's, and be done.

Reading through this and the other lengthy thread I have no idea what the hype was all about. I met Ray in person, once, through Parker board, when he asked to attend one of my tasting groups' large format tastings. Seemed like a nice enough guy at the time, but would I buy expensive wine from someone who never made wine before, let alone Pinot Noir? Just strange that so many got caught in all the hoopla, and just as an aside I'd also stay away from anything "Bourdain", I lived in NY at the time and frequented all the better restaurants, his name never even registered in NY food circles back then until his book pointing fingers at others showed up. So, one absolutely clueless about making wine, and one just a hyped up no more than an average chef are all that took so many people to buy in? Why?
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Tim Fleming

#297 Post by Tim Fleming » February 27th, 2019, 10:53 am

I rarely comment on this board as my expertise in wine is minimal compared to others. I do, however, drink good bourbon and follow the trends. Three-year-old bourbon, sourced from MGP in Indiana, packaged in a very pretentious bottle/box, will not move. Highly regarded bourbon is in the 8-12 year range. Some are up to 23 years(Pappy). The regular, mass-produced Jim Beam is aged about three years.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#298 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 27th, 2019, 10:54 am

Tim Fleming wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 10:53 am
I rarely comment on this board as my expertise in wine is minimal compared to others. I do, however, drink good bourbon and follow the trends. Three-year-old bourbon, sourced from MGP in Indiana, packaged in a very pretentious bottle/box, will not move. Highly regarded bourbon is in the 8-12 year range. Some are up to 23 years(Pappy). The regular, mass-produced Jim Beam is aged about three years.
You aren't taking into account the founder's ability to shill/promote - he is quite talented in that regard. I'm guessing it will do far better than most other three-year-old bourbons sourced from MGP, or wherever it is sourced and however old it is. He's unmistakably talented in shilling and selling a story.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#299 Post by Kris Patten » February 27th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Corey N. wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 6:39 am
Kris Patten wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 9:16 pm
Kris,

Like you, I initially thought that the bourbon was likely sourced from MGP. However, it is labeled as Kentucky straight bourbon which, I believe, means that the product must have been distilled in Kentucky. Since MGP is an Indiana company, I do not believe that they are the source. Instead, it is likely very young bourbon from Kentucky (my hunch is a newer/small operation). The only other explanation is that the product is mislabeled.
I never read the label, if it says Kentucky straight then it is definitely not MGP.
ITB

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#300 Post by David K o l i n » February 27th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Corey N. wrote:

#NoSnark
No snark here either, but I was walking the bourbon aisle at Binny’s earlier today and 95% of the product I saw must have been created by marketing teams given the brands and packaging (with very few of the classic brands on the shelves). Pretty sad for an extraordinary beverage category #allhatnohorse
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

Return to “Wine Talk”