Visiting Krug

I will be traveling through France in fall and had wanted to make a day trip to Reims. I would like to visit Krug, but I understand they are not open to the public. I have read where people have visited the caves and house by appointment. Can anyone advice me the best way to make an appointment to visit?

Ask the person you buy the most Krug from to arrange it. Though to be frank it’s not the best visit in Champagne.

What is the best visit in Reims? More broadly in Champagne?

I’ve never been, but excluding the “big” houses at the top of my list would be:

E-O
Aubry
Pierre Peters
Soutiran

In Reims? Ruinart is very tough to beat. More broadly? Pick your growers of choice and start there. Far too many and far too different to say X, Y, or Z.

Ruinart is great, wonderful facility

I recall that assiette champenois does a package where you can stay, have a krug themed dinner and visit krug. Check out their website.

I remember reading about this package being mentioned here: Krug Grande Cuvee 165 - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

It isn’t cheap, though I’d love to do it.

I’m working on my own visit to the area this Spring, and was also interested to figure out how to work in Krug without going the L’Assiette route. But the advice I got was that even if you were granted a visit to Krug, it would mainly consist of a tasting of two glasses in their corporate office and a short and less than interesting cellar tour.

I did Dom Perignon and Ployez-Jacquemart to contrast huge and small. Enjoyed both visits though Dom was costly to get the upgraded tour.

I’ll fully second doing Ployez-Jacquemart. It’s been almost 4 years and I still think fondly back on that visit

Whilst I can’t speak to the quality of the wine I have never forgotten a trip to the cellars at Pommery some thirty years back. They are both ancient and imposing, having been built within old roman chalk pits. A long, long set of steps takes you down.

The main Krug office is in the center of Reims, its not that big a facility. I dont know if their cellars are elsewhere though

I was in Reims this summer and visited both Ruinart and Taittinger. Had a great time at both. Info about visiting is on their web sites.

This is the best approach. What you get to taste will be in function of your perceived importance…

Chris, why not skip Reims and go to Vilmart, which is 30 mins from Reims center. Hell, Chartogne-Taillet is not far from Reims either, going away from the city. Just saying you can visit a smaller producer, who are doing exciting things and get away from the bustle of Reims.

Frank, with respect i would not say Reims is bustling, its a nice size town and i found it interesting just seeing all the houses and the topology especially if you drive out a little into the vineyards

Given my perceived (and actual) importance is nil, maybe this isn’t a good idea.

Disagree, Alan. Reims is not Rilly, nor is it Merfy. These are small, beautiful villages that are nothing like Reims, which is comparatively busy. I was giving Chris another option.

I agree Reims is a decent size town, not a cute village, just saying its not exactly bustling

I really enjoyed visiting Taittinger and Ruinart, but agree with you about Reims generally. Nothing special as a city - certainly no Beaune or Bordeaux