TN: Patricia Green 2017 Willamette Valley 'Reserve' Pinot Noir

Great value here. Enjoyed with a five-spice rubbed chicken breast - the spice notes blended well with what seemed like a bit of whole cluster/stem inclusion. Subtle tannic grip in the middle.

Aromas of black raspberry and cherries, with hints of cooking spices. Juicy, sappy fruit. Structural components are very well-balanced - good acidity without being instrusive gives over to a nice core of fresh fruit in the midpalate and then a dusty, slightly earthy finish.

Feels like Oregon is really delivering the best Noir Pinot value $20-$40. Alas, Burgundy.

Baby killer. It’s got all that already? Decant and time??

Opened at 2:30. Tasted with customers until 5. Note from dinner around 8:30. No decanting, just air in the bottle.

Might have to pull a few off the shelf and hide them in the store room. Thanks.

Yipes. We have 2016. Haven’t gotten the 17 yet.

We just got this post-holidays. It won’t be long before the 17 comes knocking.

Every year really nice qpr!

Piggybacking my own TN of this wine . . .
Opened a 2017 Patricia Green ‘Reserve’ Pinot Noir this evening with our cheese plate. Our first Patricia Green/ Jim Anderson wine! A small pour for each of us to swirl a bit and nose and taste. The color is a light red, translucent, almost jewel like. My wife says ruby, I see/imagine a bit of an orange tint. Smells of cherry, tobacco, and for my wife some kind of sherry/port/madeira (I think she finally settled on madeira). The taste to us was surprisingly full for the apparent “thinness” of the color. Strong cherry, berry fruit, lands with some force on the back of the tongue and upper palate. Nice aftertaste, dryish and almost sweet at the same time, but not sweet. Long and pleasant. Very well balanced. “Very nice wine” declares the wife. “This is good” says I. Delicious and easy drinking and we finished the bottle, which has not been our norm recently even for other wines that we have enjoyed.
pg reserve.jpg
P.S. Minor complaint about the bottle, although my wife says “Don’t blame the bottle!”. For some reason, I could not make a pour out of this bottle without some wine dripping down the side of the bottle, despite using my usual spill-free technique. Have I now forgotten how to pour a glass of wine ?! . . . for now, I choose to blame the bottle!

We could use the bottle with the pour spout on it! I know there’s a rose from the Canary Islands (a very nice one) that uses it and I showed it to my cellarmaster and he threatened to kill me if we used that (bottling is a science, art, feat of engineering and a massive pain in the ass all rolled into one extremely irritating and boring and anxiety causing activity). Honestly, that bottle is probably the single most common bottle used in Oregon across many varieties so I’m not sure what to tell you! Glad you liked what was inside regardless of the difficulty of getting it out efficiently!!

Also, not to pimp too hard here, while we are a ways a way from blending and bottling the 2018 I know that it will be the best bottling of this we will have ever done. Yes, I know us winemaker folks are inclined to say things of this nature but I think we try to keep it real (I think the 16 is better than the 17 and have candidly said this many times and I’m not in any way running down the 17, I just think the 16 was/is special). The raw material of the 18s is better top to bottom than anything prior so regardless of what we choose for the final blend it will be better than anything we have done previously. I’m excited to see it come to fruition. It’s the only wine we make that I cannot create a mental image of its flavor, aromatics and texture in my mind prior to assemblage so I always enjoy the steps to its creation in a way I don’t with our other much smaller production bottlings.

To be fair about the bottle, my wife thinks that I should have also mentioned that for some meals I wear a bib. . . seeing more and more “operator error” these days.

Just bought my 1st bottle of Patricia Green Pinot : 2016 Patricia Green Marine Sedimentary Pinot Noir.

Can’t wait to open it.

Has anyone tried the 2018 version yet?