2004 Fevre Les Clos

The last of 18 bottles purchase upon release. And yes, I had a few pre-moxed ones over the years. But this last one was glorious. Absolutely pristine in color, it was hard to realize that this Chablis was 15 years old. Tropical fruits, salinity, and gentle acidity dominate. What a nice way to be able to remember this wine that I spent so many years enjoying.

Went thru 9 bottles of this wine without a dud.
This could remove tooth enamel when first released, but nicely balanced out over the years.
A Beauty!

TTT

I drank a bottle of the 2004 Fevre Les Preuses last week…It was my next to last bottle, and it was spectacular, one of the best White Burgs I have ever had. The acidity has mellowed and the fruit is more round than when it was young, but the mineral cut is still there, just now everything is in balance. Wish I had bought more back in the day!

Great to hear good results like this. Those were the days, when 2002 and 2004 Fevre were just stacked on the floor of local retailers. I want to say something like $35-40.

Over half of my 2004 Clos have been badly oxidized, but those that were not affected have been very good. I think I have one more Preuses around somewhere.

They bottled some terrific 2004s. Those that avoided the plague have remained terrific.

I love Chablis that makes it through without premox. Unfortunately, the premox percentage makes it a pretty expensive gamble.

Yes, 2004 Fevre Les Clos was blown out by the distributor here in Los Angeles way back when and was available for ~$30. I went through a few cases, the last bottles a number of years ago, without a single bottle being oxidized. By the end, they were on the way to being some of the best Fevre I’ve had. This was through the official distributor here, not DI.

I know—I was another who was scared witless by the premox threat. I had my last bottle with the San Diego posse way back in 2009. So lovely to read that some have come through the plague to show so well. Thanks for the note, Michael.

Mike

Maybe time to open a Preuses. I haven’t tried since release and have 3 bottles left.

Was this the Domaine Clos, or the non-domaine? I got some non-domaine clos for cheap way back when and had no premox and excellent wine, whereas the domaine was about 50% affected.

John, That’s a great question. I just checked with the retailer I purchased them from: it was Domaine. He didn’t have any problem with them either. Premox continues to puzzle to this day.