Donnhoff 2017 price question. *TN added*

Anyone know why the 2017 Donnhoff Hermannshohle GG Riesling price spiked this year? Looks like about a 25% increase. I know it is still a relative value as one of the best white wines in the world and I’m still a buyer. Just wondering if there is a reason I am not aware of. Thanks!

It was up a little for me, but not like that.

I saw a big increase here. I was told it was a combination of demand and the short vintage. I really don’t know for sure, though, and David’s experience makes me wonder if it’s partially a supply chain issue rather than a Donnhoff issue.

Supply chain issue for sure,

That’s good to know. Disappointing, but good to know. I ordered some and didn’t get it anyway. It’s probably for the best.

Doug,
I guess you guys might be stuck with that pricing for future vintages as well, I cant see how (or why) they would revert back to a standard mark up in the future

There’s pretty much no question of that. I can always seek it out for myself in other states. The wine isn’t difficult to find.

Tiny vintage in 2017. I went from 210 pounds for a six-pack case to 234.

I’ll pop a 17 tomorrow and report back.

travis - how was the 16?

It is the ‘17. Note to follow. Very favorable note to follow.

Nice picture!
That decanter looks like a potion

Was this at Paly’s House?

looks good Travis. I was actually asking how the 16 was the last time you pulled a cork

The '17 Hermannshohle GG is a show stopper. So good, so dense and packed with extract and acid that it hurts. For the first 20 minutes there was zero fruit, just a bouquet of flowers ranging from hints of spring blossoms to in your face tropical Lillies. When the fruit started to appear it was like the sweetest white-fleshed peach that drips down your arms as you eat it over the sink (obviously currently yearning for summer here in Seattle). There was a viscosity to it as well that made me think that it has some RS, but that could just be glycerin or ??? (donnhoff magic). Good from the first pour to the last drop. No doubt this beauty will last several years, but no shame or regrets in experiencing something so monumental now.

We had some other killer wines open as well. Everything was showing beautifully with no duds. The only wine that was slightly overshadowed was the Trimbach CFE '04. It was a beautiful wine in a good spot - as long as you like petrol - but the vibrancy of the Donnhoff was simply too bright.

Jeff, The 16 is also fantastic, I really love the '15 donnhoff across the board as well.

JBRAY, Not at Paly’s house, but he was there and brought the '86 PLL and '92 Hill of Grace (I drank the last sip last night and the faint eucalyptus and brambly fruit were so good!) both of which have aged remarkably well.