Hangover Prevention - supplements

Haven’t seen any recent postings on this, so figured I would share some experience.

There are several brands of supplements on the market designed for both prevention and easing of the many facets of overindulging.
Some of the ingredients have been touted for years, others may be newer to the trend. Vit-C, mixed B, water and an NSAID(ibupropohen, naproxyn) have always been claimed to be beneficial before sleep. I’ve read about honey and some other pantry products as well.

Newer supplements that are available with liver detox claims are Prickly Pear, Milk Thisle, ALA, L-Theanine, Lotus Leaf, and most importantly,
N-Acetyl-Cysteine and Dihydromyricetin.

The last 2 may have the most useful data behind them for benefit.

NAC has been used for years for blocking liver damage from Tylenol overdose. Many other uses as well and has been around for many years for medical treatment. Now it is available as a supplement in a form that is cheap to make. NOW brand on Amazon is typically considered reputable and quite cheap at $16+ for 250 600mg caps. Take 1 per hour while drinking and 1 before bed, and it truly limits hangovers and likely helps prevent cirrhosis as alcohol and Tylenol share a similar detox mechanism in the liver. May be useful to take if Tylenol is needed throughout the day for our normal aches & pains, but not combined with EtOH.

Dihydromyricetin has been shown to somehow slow down alcohol absorption and limit intoxication, not just hangovers. Some studies have shown benefit for treatment of alcoholics. I’ve personally seen great reduction in a buzz when taking these. Not very cheap though.

There are some combination pills now that include all of these ingredients along with C, B, folic acid, etc. Overall price is reasonable considering their benefit and ease of taking them.

Most easy to find brands are Flyby and Drinksmart. Have tried both, and stick with Flyby as the price is best under Amazon subscription. $33+ for 90 caps - take 3 before drinking and 3 after if you had too much.

Anyone else have any experience with these or other options?

I think the liquid ones are probably more effective. Koreans have sworn by these for decades.

Best cure for hangovers is to drink more.

Not directed at anyone, but if you need to have an ongoing Amazon subscription for hangover pills, maybe you are drinking too much.

Tranzfuse

You can get on amazon here.
https://www.amazon.com/TranzLabs-Tranzfuse-All-One-Supplement/dp/B01NAHYT0W

32oz of water before bed and all is well

Hangover Prevention:

1. Take a daily multi-vitamin.
  2. Don’t drink so fuc#ing much, idiot.
  3. If you continue to be an idiot, at bedtime, drink as many glasses of water as you did in wine.
  4. Don’t drink so fuc#ing much, idiot.

I agree. We all LOVE wine here…but NOT at the expense of health.

1. Optimal Thyroid health. Hypothyroidism means you can’t tolerate alcohol.
  2. Good adrenal health. Adrenals are more forgiving then the thyroid when it comes to alcohol tolerance…but alcohol stress the adrenals. Stressed adrenals wreak havoc on your thyroid and other organs. Get a 4 point salive cortisol test…the one time test docs love is useless. Your cortisol levels have a normal duirnal pattern (highest when you wake, lowest at bedtime)…easy to have a mix of normals, elevated, and low that a one time spot test will miss.
  3. Hydration. Duh…but so easy to forget.

I’m with Chuck on this but would also note that there were some reports of NAC increasing blood pressure. I’d just check on that if it’s a potential issue for you. The research may have changed but caution is a good thing. NAC was given to me - with much success - to ease congestion and such, has been used in asthma treatment and I was a big fan of how well it worked but am more cautious now as I nurse some cardiac disease.

what Barry opined–avoid the hangover by drinking less and hydrating more.

There’s a guy who claims to have formulated an excellent hangover cure:

tl;dr:

The recipe includes milk thistle (for your liver), N-acetylcysteine (for your immune system), vitamins B1, B6 and B12 (for your metabolism) and frankincense (an anti-inflammatory). Consume that concoction at night, before you stumble to bed, and Bishop-Stall promises that the next morning you’ll “still be tired, even exhausted, but otherwise things tend to be right as rain.”

This is seriously meant:

• drink as much water in between as possible
  • spit as much as possible
  • sleep as long as possible

All other medications might be dangerous for one or another person, so I can´t recommend any …

This.

This whole site is dedicated to the enjoyment of an alcoholic beverage, so the level of self-righteousness is a little surprising. I would bet that many here have “over done it” at least once, in the last year. So I would give 2 bits of advice to those who would judge.

1. If you don’t care about the topic don’t click on the thread. I stay away from allot of threads I think are about dumb s**t and I am much happier for it. I hope this is not a place for the thought police.

2. There is this guy who said something to the effect of, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. So look down at your wrist, grab your WWJD bracelet, give it a good snap and move on with your day.

+1. I knew from the thread title that within three posts someone would ride in on their high horse. It happens every single time someone posts a thread like this, and probably dissuades most who would even consider raising the subject. That’s a shame since it’s worthwhile, for those discussing consumption of alcohol, to consider whether supplements can prevent the negative effects thereof, not to mention help improve liver function. Many on this board take an “abstinence only” approach to this subject.

Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec has great hangover advice:

Ron Swanson:

“She has a bad hangover, which she is pretending is allergies.”

Caller 1:

“Is she gonna be ok?”

Ron Swanson:

“Wouldn’t know. Never been hungover. After I’ve had too much whiskey, I cook myself a large flank steak pan fried in salted butter. I eat that put on a pair of wet socks and go to sleep.”

Caller 1:

“And that works?”

Ron Swanson:

“It does. Please call now if you have questions about tonight’s gala, or one of my other interests. Woodworking, uh, novels about tall ships, meat, that sort of thing.”

I drink a lot of water every day. I take a multi vitamin and 500 vitamin C every day. It is very rare for me to be hungover. Very rare.

–one glass of water for each glass of wine.

–orange or grapefruit juice (preferably fresh-squeezed) after dinner

–sleep well / long night before and night after drinking

–if you are still experiencing hangovers don’t drink so much!