Interesting sticker - your thoughts?

A really interesting sticker here on this case. And one that perhaps others should be putting on their wines as well, especially those ‘natural’ winemakers whose wines are similar in nature to this one, and likely to ‘have issues’ with elevated temperatures.

I wonder if each bottle is marked such a sticker as well, and if not, why?. My guess is that they are not, and unfortunately, many folks will not heed this warning an unsuspecting consumers will end up with potentially problematic wines.

I’d love to hear your comments on this as well.
FB_IMG_1547734680618.jpg

Yes, these stickers should be on bottles, along with stickers saying what ingredients are used to process the grapes into the making of wines. Full disclosure is best.

What happens when it gets to the store? Or to my home? Has to stay below 57?

Simple - avoid purchase. Even Lapierre.

Firmly in the camp that believes the further any natural wine gets from where & when it was made the worse it will be.

Addressing your question - label is a good idea & quite responsible. One question - Are they being proactive, or are they addressing known issues/ complaints with a warning label? Should be part of the bottle label for any such wines.

On another note - my guess is corked bottle incidence will continue to decrease with improved cork production and rejection of these types of wines will rapidly increase from cellars/ resto’s due to insufficient storage/ shipping conditions and random spoilage.

Finally truth in advertising.

I’m curious about the 57F/14C point. Why that particular temperature?

There was an old-line Italian winery in Napa (the name eludes me now) that sold a moscato that was not very stable. The sold it refrigerated only and told visitors not to leave it in a hot car. Anyone remember that?

That’s almost laughable. The probability of a wine shipped from any winery to make it into the hands of a consumer (let alone one that was sent to retail first) without going above 57 is, I would hazard, extremely low.

One of the questions that needs to be asked is what happens if a consumer ends up with an altered wine due to temperatures getting above 57 degrees? Can they legally return them?

I wonder if they are using the old Coor’s beer shipping network.

“Never stored above 57 degrees” is the next bullcrap auction description, I guaran-damn-tee it.

_

As for retail, there used to be a great wine shop in Las Vegas called 55 Degrees where the whole store was kept at cellar temp. It was fun, sadly gone. It’s way cool, but I don’t think this retail model is workable in the long run.

I have always thought an interesting project would be to check out the temps in the various retail shops in my neck of the woods. Many seem to be kept in the upper 70s. One wine store in MD I walked into was so warm inside I immediately walked out, thinking that anything that sat around in this shop is slowly cooking to death.

Greg

A noble project!

Your position strikes me as really aggressive! Obviously drink whatever you like, but the Lapierre is a very good wine, as are several others. I had an excellent 2015 Cornelissen Contadino last night, seventh of a case and all sound. I imagine many people wouldn’t like that wine, it’s very unique, but I think it’s great from time to time and can only assume it wouldn’t taste the same with sulfur.

Michael,

Why do you say ‘great from time to time’? And we will never know how SO2 would affect the wines - y po uyr assumption may or may not be accurate.

Cheers.

Maybe Louis Martini? I worked in a wine shop back when I was going to college and a couple of times people came in asking for a wine that they had at the winery that we didn’t carry. I did call the winery and they did sell a wine that was only sold at the winery because it had to be kept cool. IIRC Martini use to pasteurize most of their wines at the time. A moscato would make sense.

I say great from time to time because it’s a very unique style and not what I’d want all the time. One can simply try the Lapierre normal version and n side by side to have an idea of what sulfur does. I understand the purpose of it in keeping wine stable, but I think it’s undeniable that wines without have a certain vibrant quality to them. Admittedly with a wine like the Cornelissen it’s impossible to know how much of that quality comes from the lack of sulfur, but with Lapierre you can compare directly.

I get it. That sticker is part of an anti natural wine campaign. Otherwise, its marketing suicide to point out overheated wine.

For the unaware who do buy, shouldn’t there be additional instructions to get it to your cellar/ refrigerator as rapidly as possible?
That would possibly result in a lawsuit for a speeding ticket, or two. Ha!

Speaking of the Police:
I’ll send an SOS to the world
I’ll send an SOS to the world
I hope that someone gets my
Message on a bottle
Walked out this morning
Don’t believe what I saw
A hundred billion bottles
Washed up on the shore

Marketing fail.

And Lapierre is not the only producer that does a sulfured and unsulfured bottling of the same wine.

That sounds like a great offline theme: blind sulfered vs unsulfered. Has anyone here done this?

I know it’s been done. I don’t recall who staged it.

Yes. What does Allemand’s say (and why aren’t we picking on him)?