10 years of Wine Berserkers--what does it mean to you?

As we enter our first decade together, as some of us like me have been around here since the first post was generated, a lot has been talked about. Each of us has their own unique way of looking at things and experiences we share. Thought it might be fun to share mine.

Falltacular–the power of reaching people through this forum has allowed me to raise a lot of $$$ for my charity, Laura’s House. This forum has been the channel (along with Facebook) to reach the attendees, share info and create momentum, which has in turn helped women and children survive abuse and successfully flee, recover and thrive again. Thank you, Todd.

Friends–the friends today who I hold close and feel a deep gratitude for, many of them have been met through this site. I hope through this time all of that are these friends understand your importance to me. Thank you, Todd.

Champagne–would have never found my love for it without this forum. Thank you, Todd.

Envoyer–blaming Todd for this directly, it is his fault that I found them. Thank you, Todd----I think! pileon

Wineries–the relationships I have built through my visits has been instigated through my time here on WB. And through WB, I am able to bring back my own view into the visits, sharing TNs, photos and my love for the wines I buy. Thank you, Todd.

Joy–the enthusiasm, personalities and content of this board continues to bring me joy. A place to read, meet people, share experiences and have the joy of a common pursuit. Thank you, Todd.

THANK YOU, TODD!

An empty pocket and no retirement savings :astonished: [cry.gif]

newhere . . . these two posts pretty much capture the diversity of expression that I’ve found here. Educational AND Entertaining !

Tens of thousands of dollars in pursuit of having fun. What’s wrong with that? I can travel to almost anywhere in the world, and certainly anywhere in the US, and spend time with friends (and even occasional T***p supporters from the Politics forum) having more fun.

100+ views and just three replies? Really? Folks, this is a community, not a car lot where you look at cars. If you visit this Board and interact here with it in some way, you don’t have anything to say? This is a decade for this site to celebrate, a real milestone. If you can’t come up with something, then candidly, you take this site for granted. It’s a shame.

I have a lot to say, but I won’t have everything ready for BD10 if I go down this road right now [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif]

Yeah, I hope you DO contribute once you get your BD10 ducks in a row, as your story is amazing, part of which you shared with Alder Yarrow for the Jancis Robinson article!!

Obviously it means so very much to me, as I’ve met some of my very best friends through WB, across the thousands of miles, and even several overseas. To have an online ‘relationship’ that develops, then have in-person meetings and find great friends with common interests is of tremendous value. Some I know will be friends for life, even a few who have left wine entirely because of lifestyle changes.

There have been emotional ground-moving experiences here as well. I can think of several, but the most poignant were the community outreach for our valued members Mike and Dana Stoneking when their house burned down. Brian Tuite leading the charge for raising funds and amassing a truly eye-opening ‘donation’ to help them meant so much to them, and so much to me. Watching the community rally around another long-term member suffering from liver failure - Jason Hagen (one of the nicest, sweetest guys you’d EVER meet) - while 99.9% of the members had never met him, and 90% had never seen a POST from the guy shows just how important and significant this community is, and will continue to be.

I recall when we were known as just ‘dick and fart jokes’ by the naysayers, with countless (COUNTLESS) dozens of people predicting our fall since day one. I recall when we started that the members complained there wasn’t enough talk about Burgundy…now they complain there is too much talk about Burgundy. I’m proud of how we ‘solved’ the politics issue by having an elect-in forum for it, completely unmoderated. I’m amazed by how happy these small producers are who participate in BerserkerDay each year, and I relish hearing from them, how important it is for their little business that they give their all to.

Random ramblings, but I could go on forever. I have to get to work on BerserkerDay, though!!!

I registered a little over 5 years ago and was mostly lurking. I finally took the plunge and went to my first offline in 2017. Since then I have been very lucky to become friends with some great people from OC and beyond. Additionally I’ve PMed many members of this board and appreciate their thoughtful responses. I’m very grateful for the shared experiences and for speeding up my wine ‘education’.

Some of my favorite memories:
– Rhys tasting (first offline) and blind Northern Rhone and CA syrah tasting @ Frank’s
– Dinner with Todd/Fred and our wives before Rach2 with the Pacific Symphony
– Wine dinners with the OC crew
– Hosting a “pinot” and duck dinner with Frank/Chris/Fred and our wives
– Meeting members outside of OC (Blake who exudes positive energy, Jeff with his relaxed personality and beautiful wife Ann, Mike during the CA heat spike at a hot Indian restaurant, Curtis: fellow IG work out bro)

Thanks WB/Todd! [cheers.gif]

Let’s PLEASE not make this a ‘thank you, Todd’ thread - I provided a vehicle, that’s it - the memories are because of the people, not me (unless I was involved, and paid for it, which is VERY unlikely)

Fuck you Todd. neener [berserker.gif] [snort.gif]

It’s been a great opportunity to meet people from all over, meet some new winemakers, and attend some amazingly fun events.

As an ITB’er I appreciate the freedom we have here to chat and not be called out for shilling (as long as we aren’t).

It’s the good times with good people when we actually get together that I cherish the most.

Thank you todd for giving me a platform for elaborate wine schemes for financial gain. I haven’t figured out what those schemes are yet to actually gain any money but I’m told they’ve occurred already and I’ve been enriched.

All kidding aside. Thanks todd and thanks wineberserkers for all the knowledge and friendship over the past ten years. Time flies. I was but a young buck just leaving law school when this board started.

Also please do not forget to tip the minority immigrant moderators that are the true backbone of this website we know and love.

I am shocked. Just looked and I have been here nearly 8 years. Time flies when you’re having fun! I have learned a lot, particularly from the grape growers/wine makers who contribute and I thank all of them.

Ah Frank, this response is what the board means to me. Being shamed. Being told what is and what is not appropriate behavior. Kidding (sort of).

Three things:

• Reading unvarnished commentary from astute tasters on this board has led me to much smarter, informed buying of wine.

• I’ve met a few cool guys who are fun to drink with and have good cellars. (You know who you are.) I wouldn’t have connected with them otherwise.

• I’ve filled hundreds (?) of idle hours reading posts on this board. It’s proven an excellent diversion when I find myself bored at home and/or the office. If only our bosses knew! My wife certainly does …

Dude, what time zone are you in? Give us a chance :wink:

I’ll answer this way: Berserkers is the one web site, other than email and calendar, that’s always in an open tab on my browser. This is the third wine board I’ve spent significant time on over the last 20 years (starting with Brad Harrington’s West Coast Wine, then the Squires board, now here). Without these resources, I’d still be getting all my wine info from Wine Spectator. The amount of wine knowledge I’ve gained, exposure to a wide variety of wines and opinions from around the world, has been immeasurable. And the friendships and wine acquaintances made have enriched my life (Frank being right at the top of that list). Not to mention the entertainment value from fun, interesting, newsworthy, sometimes strange and bizarre, topics that come up daily. I love this place, and there would be a big hole in my life without it. Thanks Todd, and everyone who participates here.

As an aside, every now and then an old thread comes up, or I find one while searching. It’s fun to read through old threads, but a little sad to see how many formerly active participants are no longer active. To all of them, and to lurkers and newbies everywhere, please consider jumping in and participating, the more the merrier!

champagne.gif

Whatever Todd. You built this place and it’s of your thinking. Washington or Sacramento didn’t build it, nor continue to infuse it with upgrades and other leadership, such as BD. So, Todd… THANK YOU, TODD! neener

Viet, this place, the OC is a better place because YOU have joined it, and stopped lurking. You’re sharp, brother. Keep being visible.

YES! I love when this happens!!! I don’t want to reflect on those not here anymore, as there are literally thousands more than were here during those old threads. I love seeing what I posted, or others, 7-10 years ago here - crazy stuff!!

WB helped me to accelerate my voyage into fine wine in much much less time than if I had gone it alone. I think of my time spent on the board as getting my “wine MBA”. Great recommendations, notes, stories, and a lot of funny asides. And it’s great to see that in these turbulent times, most everyone on this board can come together over the love of wine. Thanks Todd and mods for building and managing such an excellent site! [cheers.gif]

Thanks Todd for providing this space, welcoming even to a wretch like me. I don’t post very often, but I dip in every month or so to see what you other miscreants are up to.

[rofl.gif]

(says the 4th most prolific poster EVER on WB)

Hours of (somewhat ) wasted time I’ll never get back .
Just sayin’.