Jasper Morris podcast

For those with 1 hour 43 to spare, I can thoroughly recommend this podcast by Jasper Morris, discussing the current state of Burgundy.

https://soundcloud.com/leviopenswine/jaspermorris

Enjoy [cheers.gif]

Already downloaded to my phone…now to find two hours to listen to it!

Thanks. My favorite expert on anything Pinot Noirs.

thanks for the tip

Fantastic! Like a mini-education in Burgundy in an hour and a half.

lovely guy and a fantastic listening experience.

Great post…many thanks for the head’s up!

Definitely ranks as one of my favourite IDTT podcasts.

Amazing podcast. His book Inside Burgundy is probably the most detailed and useful wine book I own. He hinted at a 2nd edition coming out in 2020.

Just listened to the whole thing. Very informative and makes me happy on my focus on Volnays rather than grand crus. I read more about wine than talk to other people and took German and Russian in school–so romance languages are always a challenge. It’s nice just to hear how everything is pronounced so hopefully I don’t sound like such a dote talking about vineyards in Burgundy.

Do any of you subscribe to his website and if so is it worth the $100?

Great episode!

Listened to this today, 1st half on my morning commute and 2nd half on my evening commute. I’ll add to the chorus, just a great listen. I would happily listen to Jasper Morris talk about Burgundy all day. His book is great too.

One of the pleasant things about living half the year in Beaune is regular encounters with Jasper. He seems absolutely delighted to have quit the trade and embarked on this new project.

I listened, and thought the interview was great, too. His book is the most complete and best read on Burgundy. And, he does seem to be a good guy, and pretty modest in person.

RE: the pronunciations. I’m not sure I would depend on them totally. I noticed a distinct British accent when he spoke about many of them, and when he speaks French, too. Nothing wrong with that. But, not a phonetic model to pronounce/speak French, komrad.

Agreed, excellent interview. Johns really comes through as a serious, thoughtful lover of Burgundy. Lots of opinions, but informed by experience and point of view. I was intrigued by some of his thoughts on less well-known areas like Monthelie.

Many things to discuss, but most interesting were his thoughts on the potential for premox’ed white Burgundy to emerge in later life as well-aged correct examples. He cited 1996s (a vintage with vast amounts of premox) in his cellar doing that fairly consistently, except in cases where the cork was obviously not doing its job. I’ve never heard this before. Anyone else have this experience? Sadly my cellar is not crammed full of 90’s white Burgundy to test :wink:.