1999 Dumien-Serrette: Cornas - Cuvee Vieilles Vignes

1999 Dumien-Serrette: Cornas - Cuvee Vieilles Vignes (N.Rhone, France).

I opened this pristine rare old vine cuvee N.Rhone Syrah at home. Popped and poured, 12.7% alcohol. I was expecting a tasty wine from this legendary vintage and I was not disappointed. Dark plum red. An aromatic nose of black olives, cooked saucisson and wild herbs. The medium bodied mouthfeel is savoury and delicious, with a long slightly rich length. There is a freshness and a balance to it that is beyond description. This wine is drinking well now, but there is no rush.
IMG_0298 3.jpg

Nice note Nicos. Sounds delicious and somewhat like my favorite Cornas Thierry Allemand Reynard.

An underrated producer with cellars opposite Verset’s old house! Sadly they now destem (with the exception of the cuvée Henri) and use a touch more wood than I would like, though the wines are still pretty classical in profile.

Thanks Don, I think you would like this.
Cheers, Nicos

That’s good to know William, thanks for letting me know. I prefer this older style.

Last one I had was the Patou 2010 and didn’t find any wood to speak of on it.
Wasn’t aware they made a Vieilles Vignes. Good to know.

I had a 2003 Patou last year, pretty sauvage.

Put away a 2015, although I can’t remember which bottling.

The old vine bottling is the cuvée Henri. It sees some stems but also some new wood. The “Patou” is in mostly used barrels but destemmed the last handful of years. I visited a few months ago.

Well that explains it then. Do you think the Henri is worth the extra price?

I would definitely buy it, if it weren’t for the wood, but I would be waiting for the 2016. The 2015 is a Godzilla wine and not one I could ever envisage drinking, though it has received some good reviews.

William, what are your thoughts on Dumien-Serrette’s cuvée “Les Saveaux”? I’ve been impressed with the 2013 and 2015 in their early youths.

Love those pix Nicos

I don’t know the cuvée well but it seemed to be a more supple, precocious wine than the other two.

I picked up 3x each of ‘16 “Patou” and “Henry” a few months ago.

For ‘16 vintage, “Patou” was 50% destemmed. “Henry” was whole cluster and in old barrels for 22 months, 600 bottles produced.

Pretty sure Gilbert told me Patou was totally destemmed but maybe something got lost in translation.