2009 Pegau Réservée

Black olive, kirsch, smoke with a velvety texture and finish. Very nice.

2 Likes

Jerry, Thanks for the note. Had the 2008 last night, nice wine but vintage reserved. Of course a Premier Cru blowout @ $25!

1 Like
  • 2009 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/7/2023)
    Bring in da funk, fo sho! Very Pegau, with lots of funk, bordering on barnyard, but only intermittently over the line, garrigue, leather and black raspberry, with a hint of brown sugar or molasses on the finish. Vibrant and energetic, albeit properly soft. Altogether, a terrific Chateauneuf.

Posted from CellarTracker

When I opened it, I thought to myself, this is just want I wanted when I brought up this bottle tonight.

1 Like

commercial post: I work for the company that imports Pegau to most of the U.S.

This is a terrific vintage and is maturing more rapidly than most vintages of this size. It is far closer to full maturity than the 2010 or the 2012. It seems less massive and alcoholic than the 2007. There is brett, and as always bottle variation as to how much brett per bottle, but I haven’t yet had one that was over the top. I don’t get the brown sugar or molasses, one of the things I love about this vintage is the super ripeness that also doesn’t go over the top. Garrigue and leather - check. Also plum, tomato, olive, oregano, at its best this bottle is an entire Mediterranean feast all by itself.

Dan Kravitz

2 Likes

Agree that’s its very ripe- rich mid-palate, but not over the top, and yes drinking well already for such a big wine. 2010 coming along nicely but not as ready by any means…

I agree this seemed more mature than I had expected, but in part that was why I wanted to open it, as I had heard its aging curve was more accelerated. In any event, it was at a good drinking stage for my tastes.

Last tasted in 2015, it was still painfully young with dry tannins, and a hint of spritz that was probably due to high C02 at bottling or a hint of re-fermentation in bottle, both should be resolved in the meantime.