DC older burgundy dinner

OLD BURG DINNER AT MARC’S HOUSE OUTSIDE DC - DC/Silver Spring MD (12/29/2018)

Marc hosted a wonderful dinner to open a few older wines. Great dinner, great food, great people
Old champagnes and blind white
The 2 champagnes were fantastic. The Charbaut was my first experience with a older champagne with no fizz. Frankly, i still thought it held its own. Most people didnt really love the champagnes, but I love old champers. The Chablis was served blind, and while it wasn’t my favorite of the night, many people loved it.

Served with an assortment of cheeses.

• 1982 A. Charbaut & Fils Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne
    No pop on opening. spectacular nose, everything you want in a mature champagne nose. Brown apple, brown sugar, caramel. Still, no bubbles, just a light hint of effervescence on the tongue. Even as a still wine this was marvelous, with lovely sweet chardonnay fruit, strong minerality, some sugarcane, with great balancing acidity. If this just had the bubbles… (92 pts.)
  • NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Cuvée Vieilles Vignes - France, Champagne
    Disgorged December 1995.
    Sweet nose with light brioche, fruits and light mature notes (nutty/light caramel), really complex. Medium/heavy bodied, nice acidity and balancing acidity. Taste was equally complex. Certainly could age some more to get the nutty tertiary flavors, but great now. A touch on the sweet side for people, but I felt it was balanced. (94 pts.)
  • 1981 Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis Grand Cru Grenouilles - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    Lightly buttery, oak nose with light browned fruits, and some interesting floral aromatics when first opened but as it sat, the nose became dominated by butter. Light body, medium acidity. Seemed to be a table favorite. NR

Red Burgs!!!
Just a fantastic line up of wines. Most were purchased by Marc decades ago and stored in ideal conditions and they were just pristine. Most seemed like wines decades younger.
I believe most people though the Bonnes Mares showed the best, but my personal favorite was the 1966 Morin NSG Pruliers. Just amazing.

Served with fantastic coq au vin, and my truffled parmesan haricot vert.

• 1969 Henri Boillot Pommard 1er Cru Les Jarollieres - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard 1er Cru
    Dusty, slightly closed nose with some delicate red fruits. Over time earthy componants started to emerge. Seemed young for its age, with mostly primary flavors and only some light earth. Finished with some lightly bitter red fruit Quite delicate for a pommard. Light body, medium tanins, and solid core of acid. (93 pts.)
  • 1961 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru
    Sharp red fruited nose, with some earth and a touch of heat. Tart red fruit that developed over time to get some sweet red fruit with a light green note. Complex and beautiful but a touch unbalanced with the acid sticking out a touch. Lightly bitter on the finish. Medium body, tannins pretty much fully integrated, and the aforementioned acidity a bit strong. Still a pleasure and privilege. (93 pts.)
  • 1966 Morin Pere et fils Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Pruliers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru
    Sharp eucalyptus along with the strong red fruit and earthy funk. Yum! really tasty, red fruit, mushroom, earth, with some light green note to make it interesting. Medium body, great balancing acid, and still a backbone of tannins. Still mid-maturity, and if you find a well stored bottle, tons of time. (96 pts.)
  • 1964 Coron Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Grèves - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru
    Nose has super sweet clean red fruits, with just a touch of earth. Taste had a light mint to the gorgeous fruit and earth. Med body, good tannins and acidity for structure. Still pretty young, but a great wine. (95 pts.)

Port and Dessert
I don’t really “get” port, but I could see this was great bottle. Still young and vibrant at 48 (unlike me), with some mature notes.

Served with Stilton, delicious mexican chocolate cake, and blueberry cheesecake.

• 1970 Graham Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto
    Heavy red fruit, heat and light earth on the nose. Very sweet red fruits that are still pretty tart. Slight hint of chocolate. Still seems pretty young with very little earth on the palate, obviously RS and heat. heavy body, medium tannins, with good acidity. Quite a good port, and starting to enter the beginnings of the mature phase. For more maturity, try it in 2025. Probably a 100yr port.

Again, a great night and a privilege to drink these amazing wines with some fine people.

Posted from CellarTracker

great to hear about very old bottles showing well. I opened this past December a 78 of the Boillot Pommard and it also showed great.

Should christophe’s name be on that 61 bm? Maybe that’s just how it’s listed in CT.

Its old enough that it probably shouldnt have his name. Thats the only on in CT. I wasn’t 100% on it. I’ve attached a closer pic of the bottle.
20181229_230029.jpg

great TN’s; thanks for sharing

Nice notes!