Odd 02 PYCM Capsule- Update

Has anyone seen the below PYCM capsule?

It’s a darker yellow brown and has the brittleness of Raveneau capsule (unlike the current softer lighter capsules).

I’ve had the 02 Charmes which has a regular foil capsule similar to the 04s so this raises a red flag. I wouldn’t expect there to be fakes but I guess you never know.

Thanks in advance.
C45A3449-828C-4A69-8F7A-22ABF0E6DE63.jpeg

I don’t know…and wonder if it’s possible that they decided to do this with a few in France? Maybe some late-release wines? Either way, I think the only way to know is to open one. If it’s flawed in any way I’d be returning them.

I seem to remember getting some older versions of PYCM with these, but have drank thru them so not able to go check in cellar.

Some of the early PYCM wines (even through 05) had foil capsules, if I remember correctly. Not sure he started with the wax until a few years after he started his own domaine.

Fred, I definitely remember drinking some early 2000s PYCM when he was using purchased fruit and they did have those darker wax capsules that were Raveneau like. I have a couple 2005s in my cellar that are foil. I believe he switched to the current wax with his earliest domaine offerings.

Update. This seems to be the real deal. Excellent wine with some honey richness with a touch of aged notes plus a fine acidic streak.

Handily outclassed the two Corton Charlies tonight and split with the Roumier for WOTN.
5B8AFCD7-8630-4459-AD49-D4780EB09242.jpeg
2F26DFD0-E4BB-4D4A-ADB5-A2FEAD99A2EA.jpeg
DE1B7073-5FE6-4A24-B934-B9DFAB978A05.jpeg

Hey Fred…tell me more about the 04 Roumier CC, as I have a bottle, but have never had one yet.
[cheers.gif]

Open stat. Ours was nice on open but acid fell off quickly at the re-tasting about an hour later. High premox risk.

That cork makes it look like the wine was poorly stored at some point. Did you notice this?

I chose the leaker with lowest fill in case I had to return the rest. The others are in far better condition.

Back then wasn’t PY bottling by hand? I think he just used to leave the barrels with his suppliers and they filled them up, then he did the élevage if he liked them.