Grassl Glass reviews/evals [merged]

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Grassl Glass reviews/evals [merged]

#1 Post by Peter Petersen » January 11th, 2019, 9:40 pm

We might as well get our reviews going. My glass arrived today. Was a bit surprised at the glass I received but far from unhappy as Cab/Bdx happens to be my fav wine when it delivers.
Tonight it was tested on a 2013 Lone Madrone, Old Vine, Grenache from Paso. Later I’ll test the glass on some 2000 Bdx and a 2011 McD.
Compared to Gabriel Gold as shown way below.
The GG glass on the left, 1855 on the right.

There was quite a difference in aromatics and taste. The 1855 showed more fruit on the nose and a broader palate. The GG by comparison gave spicier aromas and a more linear palate. And I am a GG fan. That said, when I got down to under 1oz in the glass the aromas on 1855 got more diffuse or diluted than the GG, but the palate on the 1855 was still better.
My GG are 85mg with the 1855 being 104mg on the same scale. The 1855 feels quite a bit sturdier.

Would definitely want to try the Cru and Liberté from Grassl to see what they have to offer as I need better Rhône and Burgundy/PN glasses.
For now I’ve found GG to be best with Champagne and Armagnac. It is also an very good universal glass but not always the best for individual wines. Tonight’s wine being a case in point. [cheers.gif]
Attachments
60FFFA42-CDFB-48D7-A790-CB266C61BB19.jpeg
Last edited by Peter Petersen on January 12th, 2019, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Bird
GCC Member
GCC Member

Grassl glass eval/feedback

#2 Post by Steve Bird » January 12th, 2019, 6:53 am

Was lucky to receive a glass from Chris (grasslglass.com). Unfortunately, my glass did not survive the transport. It broke at the stem. I notice that the stem is 5mm, which I believe is more than usual 4mm of Zalto stems.

Corey N.

Re: Grassl glass eval/feedback

#3 Post by Corey N. » January 12th, 2019, 7:02 am

I found the glasses to be packed VERY well -- almost overkill, tbh.

Was testing out the Liberte and the Mineralite last night with a bottle of Christophe Mignon Champagne Brut Nature. I LOVED the Mineralite. The nose was very focused and the acidity seemed quite concentrated. I thought the Liberte showed more expansive flavors. Liked the fact that the base is a bit bigger too, as it feels quite sturdy, while still remaining light/elegant. Blew away my Schott Zwiesels.

Note: Chris is a friend, but he lives 45m away and I never see him, so he can't be that good of a friend.
Nøv¡¢k

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#4 Post by Chris Freemott » January 12th, 2019, 7:14 am

Steve,
I'll work on another one. Sorry. Our normal packaging is in transit. Which did you get?

Corey, thanks for the review. And not sure I could reliably pick you out in a crowd so we agree "friend" is a stretch. :)

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Grassl Glass 1855 reviews

#5 Post by Chris Freemott » January 12th, 2019, 7:17 am

Thank you Peter!

Joe W i n o g r a d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » January 12th, 2019, 7:28 am

We received a liberte for evaluation (thanks Chris!) and the packing was fine. (At least I think it was the liberte; it didn’t say in the packaging anywhere.)

Our first trial was Alessandria Pelaverga 2016 side by side with a Gabriel Glas gold. These glasses are very similar; Chris’ has a smaller mouth, thicker stem, and wider base but otherwise hard to tell apart from a distance.

Our thoughts on this first comparison experience are:
- materials/manufacture quality is comparable
- smaller mouth on liberte intensifies the nose of the wine but is less comfortable
- liberte seemed more top heavy in the hand (we measured equal amounts of liquid in the two and tried different grip locations)

Overall, the Liberte seemed like a fine piece but we were more comfortable with the Gabriel Glas Gold that we have been using.

It was just a casual tryout and not a deep study. We’ll continue with the side-by-side trials and see how our impressions evolve.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#7 Post by Chris Freemott » January 12th, 2019, 7:36 am

Joe. What did the base of the glass say?

Thanks for the note!

Joe W i n o g r a d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » January 12th, 2019, 7:42 am

Liberte (in large print!)

Markus S

#9 Post by Markus S » January 12th, 2019, 8:18 am

More glasses to buy??!! [swearing.gif] [shock.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

Steve Bird
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Steve Bird » January 12th, 2019, 8:25 am

Chris Freemott wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 7:14 am
Steve,
I'll work on another one. Sorry. Our normal packaging is in transit. Which did you get?

Corey, thanks for the review. And not sure I could reliably pick you out in a crowd so we agree "friend" is a stretch. :)
I received the Liberte.

David Allen

#11 Post by David Allen » January 12th, 2019, 10:00 am

The Grassl 1855 is a handsome glass. I initially thought it was the Zalto Bordeaux. Thanks for the comparison notes.
O-H

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by brigcampbell » January 12th, 2019, 10:46 am

I have one each, there are 4 designs in the series. Here's a picture of the cru and 1855 models at work.

A friend and I are drinking craft beer from the stems which I prefer to a clunky glass. It's that or just the bottle. [berserker.gif]

I like it when the beers have some unique flavors. For example, tonight was a Belching Beaver Mango which has a very faint fruit note so the stem makes coaxing the aromas from the brew much easier.

The foot/base of the glass is designed for me, it's wider. Probably for balance reasons but the slightly larger footprint makes a more stable platform because I'm notorious for setting my stems on the edge of a plate or on a fork or knocking it with my hand and this provides a much more solid foundation for the glass.

I'll try them all with wine and try to give some context and comparison. These were a gift from Chris Freemott, a fellow wineberserker and the proud father of these hand blow glasses which he designed.

No sure the details on how to acquire them but he's a Berserker business and the website is www.grasslglass.com
Attachments
20190111_173608_HDR.jpg
20190111_173010_HDR.jpg

DavidFrankil
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Grassl Glass 1855 reviews/evals [merged]

#13 Post by DavidFrankil » January 12th, 2019, 1:32 pm

I received the Cru glass for testing. I compared it to the Zalto Burgundy stem and also to my favorite GGG. Bowl shape was generally similar to the Zalto but smaller - which I like, the Zalto Burgundy glass almost seems comically large every time I take it out. (GGG is my go-to glass for practically everything)

The Cru was slightly larger than the GGG, with a more rounded bottom. The rim of the glass was more tapered too, maybe a bit too much - seemed smaller than we've seen on other glasses. Would like to see it just a touch wider.

The stem itself felt slightly thicker, and the base is larger in both instances. To my hand the GGG felt a bit lighter/thinner/more graceful, but only by a tad - this felt sturdier (not really the right word, but you get the idea - certainly wasn't clunky by any means).

I finished off the last of a bottle of 2008 Anderson Conn Valley Cabernet Reserve, and am ashamed to admit I didn't think to pour a comparison taste in the other two glasses. Nor take a picture. What can I say, it was a stressful week and I needed a nice glass of wine. :)

All in all, very good quality - depending on price would consider purchasing, especially to stockpile for use when we host a tasting event for wine people that need something better than the Kirkland Reidels we have sitting in the basement. But probably not the Cru - based on the other reviews, and the wines we drink, think the shape of the other stems would be a better fit.

Chris - thank you for sending the glass, looking forward to the offer on Berserker Day.
My avatar is a twelfth century Berserker Lewis rook, from the British Museum. "He stands armed with a sword and exposes his huge teeth with which he bites into his shield. It is this gesture that identifies him as a Berserker – a fierce warrior drawn from Norse mythology that bites his shield in a self-induced frenzy prior to battle."

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by dcornutt » January 12th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Just starting to review these. Thanks Chris for the opportunity through The Legend.
I am trying the Cru glass versus my Zalto Burgundy.

I like that it is smaller. It is lighter but the base and stem appear to be sturdier. The lip is very slightly thicker on this particular Cru glass.

As people have described the opening is smaller than the Zalto. The bowl is also smaller too.

Tonight a nice 2011 JF Mugnier Chambolle Musigny Fuees. Aromatic wine. There is a very small green note but lots of very bright berries and wonderfully lively.

Aromatics are better on the Zalto. Just deeper and broader presentation on the nose. I actually like the way the wine rolls out of the Cru glass better than the Zalto. The palate presentation is better. The Zalto spreads the wine out a lot but this is a small nit to pick. The detail of the palate is really the same with the two glasses.

I am going to sit here during the game and keep looking. These glasses are really nice quality.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

tcavallo
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#15 Post by tcavallo » January 12th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Looking for some stems for doing tastings out in the barn, love my Zaltos at home but wanted something a little more affordable and a little sturdier, and these appear to be both, without sacrificing anything in the way of form. The shorter bases and slightly wider stems definitely make me feel a little safer, though.

I got a Liberte and an 1855 for testing. I first tried some of our Cab Franc in both, along with a Zalto BDX for reference. The narrower openings on the Grassl stems helped to focus the fruit somewhat, seeming more linear on the nose and palate. They also seemed to me to highlight the dusty granite in the background a little bit more than the Zalto. I also tried our Chard in the Liberte and had similar results, with a nice precision of fruit and a more pronounced mineral character.

Super happy with these, can't wait to stock up.

T 0 D D
ITB, Wild Arc Farm
IG: @tcavallo or @wildarcfarm

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Grassl Glass reviews/evals [merged]

#16 Post by Peter Petersen » January 12th, 2019, 2:57 pm

I took the “1855” out of my thread title.

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by NickRut » January 12th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Taking it as a personal insult that mine hasn’t been delivered yet.

Kidding - looking forward to trying the 1855. Expecting this to make my berserker day even more damn expensive.
Rutkowski

YLee

#18 Post by YLee » January 12th, 2019, 3:51 pm

tcavallo wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 2:49 pm
Looking for some stems for doing tastings out in the barn, love my Zaltos at home but wanted something a little more affordable and a little sturdier, and these appear to be both, without sacrificing anything in the way of form. The shorter bases and slightly wider stems definitely make me feel a little safer, though.

I got a Liberte and an 1855 for testing. I first tried some of our Cab Franc in both, along with a Zalto BDX for reference. The narrower openings on the Grassl stems helped to focus the fruit somewhat, seeming more linear on the nose and palate. They also seemed to me to highlight the dusty granite in the background a little bit more than the Zalto. I also tried our Chard in the Liberte and had similar results, with a nice precision of fruit and a more pronounced mineral character.

This guy knows how to take proper pictures
-Yong

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Mark Y » January 12th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Got the Cru and compared to Riedel burg and Zalto burg.

Not good at writing reviews so will summarize bullet points.
- light weight and well balanced. Bowl about same as Riedel size.
- destroys riedels. Not even close. Better feel and more expressive
- same base size as zalto but smaller bowl and thicker stem.
- for me a zalto is clear winner. But it’s also $50 a stem. I don’t mind the price and will continue to go for zalto with burgs in a small party/small event.
If there are large events I will consider Cru to be a feasible alternative (assuming it’s significantly cheaper which I believe to be the case).

Was hoping to try the Mineralte with sour beers as I want a GGG similar glass that’s cheaper. I find ggg uselessly small for red wine but absolutely perfect for beer. Still waiting for that glass to arrive ;)
Y.e.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#20 Post by Chris Freemott » January 12th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Nick R - USPS tracking shows me Monday for you. They are in your local distribution hub. Yes, know you're busting chops up there but thought you'd like to know.

salilb

#21 Post by salilb » January 12th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Got the Cru as well. Drinking a 1985 Canon out of it tonight. The glass feels a bit lighter than the Gabriel Glas that I usually use for older Bdx, and I'm liking the wider bowl more. No comment yet on how the wine tastes out of this vs. any other stem, as I pulled the bottle out of a 55 degree fridge and it's still a bit on the cold side (plus it needs some air), but I'm a fan of these stems and I'll certainly be a buyer when these are sold. Thanks Chris.
B℮n℮gaɭ

C. Mc Cart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by C. Mc Cart » January 12th, 2019, 5:16 pm

tcavallo wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Best picture yet, as you can really see the glasses, but can I ask the order here, left to right? Thanks [cheers.gif]
Chris

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#23 Post by Chris Freemott » January 12th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Zalto Bordeaux, Grassl 1855, Liberté

C. Mc Cart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by C. Mc Cart » January 12th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Thanks Chris.
Chris

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by brigcampbell » January 12th, 2019, 5:38 pm

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by NickRut » January 12th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Chris Freemott wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 4:19 pm
Nick R - USPS tracking shows me Monday for you. They are in your local distribution hub. Yes, know you're busting chops up there but thought you'd like to know.

Appreciate the heads up. Definitely busting chops... truly just grateful for the opportunity. Thanks for letting me know!
Rutkowski

tcavallo
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#27 Post by tcavallo » January 12th, 2019, 8:50 pm

Yeah you can tell my old Zalto because of the godawful hard water stains, I don't keep up with polishing, obviously.
T 0 D D
ITB, Wild Arc Farm
IG: @tcavallo or @wildarcfarm

Mark Thompson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Mark Thompson » January 12th, 2019, 10:33 pm

salilb wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 4:42 pm
Got the Cru as well. Drinking a 1985 Canon out of it tonight. The glass feels a bit lighter than the Gabriel Glas that I usually use for older Bdx, and I'm liking the wider bowl more. No comment yet on how the wine tastes out of this vs. any other stem, as I pulled the bottle out of a 55 degree fridge and it's still a bit on the cold side (plus it needs some air), but I'm a fan of these stems and I'll certainly be a buyer when these are sold. Thanks Chris.
How is the ‘85? I’ve had other ‘85’s that are great. I’m crazy for the ‘82 which is incredible. ....and I have several bottles of the ‘83 which are okay but not earth shattering at this point.

JulianD

#29 Post by JulianD » January 12th, 2019, 10:55 pm

edited-info on other thread.
Last edited by JulianD on January 13th, 2019, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 13th, 2019, 2:42 am

brigcampbell wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 5:38 pm
That was outstanding, Brig. You should do more of your wine notes by video. Seriously.

"Alfert was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

salilb

#31 Post by salilb » January 13th, 2019, 6:09 am

Mark Thompson wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 10:33 pm
How is the ‘85? I’ve had other ‘85’s that are great. I’m crazy for the ‘82 which is incredible. ....and I have several bottles of the ‘83 which are okay but not earth shattering at this point.
Love it. Not quite as much richness as the 82 - a touch lighter, but probably my favorite Canon after the '82 (and at less than half the price). And it's showing very well right now - I've had a few bottles from a case recently, and all have been in that perfect plateau of maturity.
B℮n℮gaɭ

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Dennis Borczon » January 13th, 2019, 6:24 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 2:42 am
brigcampbell wrote:
That was outstanding, Brig. You should do more of your wine notes by video. Seriously.
Ditto. Really helpful. Learned more in this brief video than with 30 minutes of reading.

Joe W i n o g r a d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » January 13th, 2019, 6:29 am

Joe W i n o g r a d wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 7:28 am
We received a liberte for evaluation (thanks Chris!) and the packing was fine. (At least I think it was the liberte; it didn’t say in the packaging anywhere.)

Our first trial was Alessandria Pelaverga 2016 side by side with a Gabriel Glas gold. These glasses are very similar; Chris’ has a smaller mouth, thicker stem, and wider base but otherwise hard to tell apart from a distance.

Our thoughts on this first comparison experience are:
- materials/manufacture quality is comparable
- smaller mouth on liberte intensifies the nose of the wine but is less comfortable
- liberte seemed more top heavy in the hand (we measured equal amounts of liquid in the two and tried different grip locations)

Overall, the Liberte seemed like a fine piece but we were more comfortable with the Gabriel Glas Gold that we have been using.

It was just a casual tryout and not a deep study. We’ll continue with the side-by-side trials and see how our impressions evolve.
We took a second pass at this last night, again with the pelaverga.

Our only new observation is that gripping technique is key to getting the right balance in hand.

In order to get a balanced feel with 3-4 oz of liquid in the bowl, you need to grip the Liberte in the center of the funnel where the bowl transitions into the stem whereas with the GGG you need to grip the glass at the base of the funnel.

This leads to a different feel because the thickness of the stem at this balance point is a good bit more for the Liberte. Generally speaking, these glasses still seem to be playing in the same ballpark but this may have something to do with why the GGG comes off as the finer instrument.

Jeannean/Ryman

#34 Post by Jeannean/Ryman » January 13th, 2019, 6:31 am

brigcampbell wrote:
Nice review! I'm still waiting on mine. Looks very promising!

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Scott Brunson » January 13th, 2019, 6:56 am

Excellent work Brig
I forgot to check the mail yesterday so I’ll check today.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Peter Petersen » January 13th, 2019, 8:49 am

Brig, Awesome video!

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by mattcitrang » January 13th, 2019, 10:08 am

Thanks Chris for the opportunity to try one of your new Glassl stems.

The one I received is the CRU. Same elegant feel as the GG only sturdier. The bowl is much wider at the bottom (1/2”+) and slightly narrower at the rim. Aromas are slightly more concentrated than with the GG. The slightly thicker stem and wider base are a plus for me. Would definitely consider purchasing when offered.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Mike Maguire » January 13th, 2019, 11:43 am

Peter Petersen wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 8:49 am
Brig, Awesome video!
+1000

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Scott Brunson » January 13th, 2019, 1:12 pm

I got a Liberté. We are doing side by side comparisons with GGG, using some leftover wines from yesterday's blind tasting.
1. 2014 Pépière Gorges
2. 2014 Windgap Sonoma Coast Syrah
3. 2006 Betz Père de Famille
4. 2005 López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia

Initial impressions are that the Grassl and the GGG are both high quality. The GGG weighs in at about 83g and the Grassl at about 94g. My wife prefers the narrower diameter of the base of the GGG, but says that it not a big deal. I find them both to be comfortable in my hand. Aromas are similar, with the GGG being a bit more expressive IMO. On the palate I find very little difference between the two stems.
So far, so good.
edit
The Betz is much more expressive in the Grassl; GGG gets the nod on the Rioja.
I'm very pleased with the Grassl.
Last edited by Scott Brunson on January 13th, 2019, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

alexnicholas

Grassl Glass - 1997 Podere le Boncie (Giovanna Morganti) Chianti Classico Le Trame

#40 Post by alexnicholas » January 13th, 2019, 2:14 pm

• 1997 Podere le Boncie (Giovanna Morganti) Chianti Classico Le Trame - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (1/12/2019)
    Drinking out of Grassl stem - I believe the 1855. The aromatics are dramtically better than my standard riedel stemware. This is giving me strong consideration on upgrading to this level. It does seem delicate and worry they will break easily when handwashing. This is the last aspect of wine connoisseurship that I haven't dug deep on and it has definitely enhanced the experience of drinking this wine.

The 97 La Trame has a mature nose, balsamic, touch of pine needles, and prunes that blows off with a lot of air then classic sour cherry on nose followed by palate along with mature orange pekoe tea notes. This has structure and is just a lovely old chianti but would drink up if you have them as it won't get any better and is likely on the decline. What a treat and am very happy to drink out this fine glassware.
Posted from CellarTracker

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Grassl Glass - 1997 Podere le Boncie (Giovanna Morganti) Chianti Classico Le Trame

#41 Post by Chris Freemott » January 13th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Alex,
The name of the glass is etched on the base. That is an 1855
Use a dishwasher too. Handwashing for ALL high end stems is not recommended. China setting, keep them away from other objects and you'll be fine.
Glad you like the glass and glad it did your wine proud!

Chris

S. Williams

#42 Post by S. Williams » January 13th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Even though I need more glasses like I “need” more wine (aka, not at all), I admit I’m interested, particularly since Chris has provided such great service in past transactions. Am I correct in thinking the 1855s are most comparable to Zalto BDX, size-wise? Don’t think I’ve seen a pic of those two side-by-side, unless I missed it.
$u$@n Wi!!i@m$

alexnicholas

Re: Grassl Glass Thread

#43 Post by alexnicholas » January 13th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Hi Chris,

I put on my reading glasses and now see the 1855 :). Thanks for the tip on the dishwasher.

PS - sorry I couldn't figure out how to merge it with the main thread, but if the moderators wish to, by all means.
@lex N1chol@s
CT lolo66

alexnicholas

Re: Grassl Glass - 1997 Podere le Boncie (Giovanna Morganti) Chianti Classico Le Trame

#44 Post by alexnicholas » January 13th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Hi Chris,

I put on my reading glasses and now see the 1855 :). Thanks for the tip on the dishwasher.

PS - sorry I couldn't figure out how to merge it with the main thread, but if the moderators wish to, by all means.
@lex N1chol@s
CT lolo66

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#45 Post by Chris Freemott » January 13th, 2019, 2:46 pm

LOL, welcome! we can't merge. Admins will. you could have simply added the post inline...but, either way, all good sir!

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#46 Post by Chris Freemott » January 13th, 2019, 2:48 pm

That is accurate Susan. If you scroll up a few posts you'll see a photo of three stems and a bottle from Todd C...Left to right that is ZBDX, 1855 and Liberté.

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by dcornutt » January 13th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Tonight it is round 2 for me. Liberte and Mineralite.

I have a 2006 Franz Hirtzberger Riesling Singerriedel Smargd (Thanks to Lyle from his Chambers Street days.) up at bat. My Gabriel Glass Gold is the control.

Pop and pour note.

The Mineralite is the best riesling glass I have ever met. The nose is complex and focused compared with the other two. The palate is wonderful. The sample amount of wine is perfect for riesling. This wine is from a ripe year so there is plenty of fruit on the nose despite the dry character here. Very mineral in character on the nose and palate. Some petrol. Super complex on the finish especially from the Mineralite. I don't totally understand it but this is a special combination.

The GGG shows a wonderful nose that has all the elements. The palate presentation is great. It appears to be dryer for some reason from this glass. I don't understand it but it probably has to do with the location of the wine as it hits the palate. The Liberte is nice but the wine is the least expressive from this glass.

I am incredibly impressed with the Mineralite and Riesling combination! Dr. Klafter. You need to check this out.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Ron Slye » January 13th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Ok. Despite all of my efforts I am a major convert. I love my Riedel Sommelier glasses, but these do seem markedly better. I had the 1855, and tried it first with a 1992 DeLille Cabernet -- which is definitely in the last third or more of its life. That was paired with the Riedel Bordeaux glass. I then did a 2014 NZ Pinot, and switched out the Riedel Bdx for the Riedel Burgundy. Here are the observations.

1. As others have noted, the 1855 is a beautiful delicate glass -- much lighter than the Riedel. At first I thought almost too light, but it has grown on my quickly. I never thought of the Riedel as heavy, but now it feels massive to me.

2. I really liked that I could see the color of the wine more easily with the 1855 than the Riedel stems. The Riedel collects things in a more bowl like area, thus concentrating the wine, making it appear darker. The 1855 does the opposite -- like a mini decanter that spreads the wine out.

3. The nose is far more pronounced and focused on the 1855 in both cases (more clearly with the 1992 Cabernet than the Pinot, but noticeable with both). My wife is not drinking at the moment, but I asked her to smell both sets. Her first reaction: "Jesus! Is that really the same wine?! The 1855 is much better." )

4. The taste was also more pronounced and pleasant with the 1855. There was a bit of disjointedness or slight flaws that were more pronounced with the Riedel. So here is the counter hypothesis -- perhaps the Riedel is "better" as it is more honestly delivering the wine, which is not perfect. I am not very convinced by this, but provide it here as a counter.

Sigh. I have lots of Riedel glassware -- don't really need any more. So I am very annoyed at this. :-) But the price is about $10 a glass, right Chris?? :-)

Seriously, this is a great glass. Beautiful, light, airy, and really delivers nicely. I only wish I had tried the Riesling glass as well -- as that is our other growing passion.

Finally, I have pictures, but really have no idea how to post them here, I am afraid. I think I need to use a commercial service, as opposed to cutting and pasting from my computer???

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Mark Y » January 13th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Tried the Cru with a beer tonight since I’m really looking for a GGG replacement for beer.
Waiting to try the mineralte as I thought that would be a good/ comparable one to ggg.

Damnnnnn cru is awesome for beer. (Sour ipa And sour ale).

The base is big. Same size as zalto burg base but the bowl here is smaller. So it “looks” a little clownishly large.
But in the hand the balance is awesome (with a 8-10 oz pout unlike a wine pour).
I normally drink sours out of zalto bdx but the slightly thicker stem here makes it sturdy.
I’m a fan.
Y.e.

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Peter Petersen » January 13th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Salivating over the other glasses the are offered. At the right price I’m ready to buy.

Return to “Wine Talk”