TN: Pflüger Dürkheimer Riesling 2017 (Pfalz)

I’m completely out of touch with wines these days even though I still occasionally buy the odd bottle to try. The past couple days I’ve been sipping through a Pfalz Riesling, Pflüger Dürkheimer Riesling trocken 2017, which is really very pleasant.

It’s a gentle and sunny wine. Spicy and floral but the pure Riesling fruit isn’t at all hidden. It’s been literally years since I’ve last had a Pfalz Riesling but if my memory isn’t playing tricks, this seems to be a very good and typical aromatic profile for that region. The palate is an illusion. It seems gentle and soft (but not flabby or overly fruity) at first until you realise that there is actually a very good core of acidity running through it all. The usual way of talking about fruit and structure doesn’t work here since the boundary between them doesn’t exist. I like this very much. But I have no idea if my pleasure is simply that I haven’t had a good Riesling in literally years or whether this is a genuinely good wine. The problem with being a relatively infrequent imbiber is that I no longer have the reference points in my head that I used to have. But I guess the good thing is that I no longer need that info to enjoy wines.

Otto! Nice to see you here. What happened with you and wine?

Partly boredom and new hobbies, but mostly stuff I could only talk about in the politics subforum! :smiley: