Fu in da Hood: Gangsta Rhone Night in O-Town w/FL Man Berserkers [Verset, Juge, Levet, Gonon VV, Jaboulet, et al]

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Fu in da Hood: Gangsta Rhone Night in O-Town w/FL Man Berserkers [Verset, Juge, Levet, Gonon VV, Jaboulet, et al]

#1 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 6:21 am

There is no Wall. No metaphysical barriers. This house is all about diversity. Reminds me of a joke? What do you get when you gather 3 Cubans (2 were the help), an Asian, a hairy Italian, a Venezuelan, and two Central Florida country squires?

Sorry, there is no punchline. You just get one heck of a night.

And neither the wines nor the food did suck.

We had four Berskerers: Me, Fu, Marc Frontario and Charlie Carnes (plus two very close friends of mine)

Starter
Stone crab claws
Charcuterie and cheese plate
Pan seared breads

The 2000 Krug Vintage Brut set the stage for an excellent evening. This champagne is in a good spot. The youthful trappings have toned down, the wine taking on some deeper hues, with notes of toasted hazelnut bread, yellow citrus fruits and a hint of brine. The 2009 Dom Perignon that followed was all about brute force and youthful vigor. Ripe, expansive mousse, brioche and zesty yellow and white fruits. Both excellent wines, with a nod to the Krug. The Dom needs time.

We enjoyed this course outside on the deck, by the lake, with temps dropping into the 50s. I loved it, but some of my guests got a little chilly, so we moved inside. Love this Florida weather!

First course
Roasted cauliflower soup with fennel
NV Krug Champagne Brut Rose

We intended to pair a white burgundy and a Loire chenin blanc, but Fu thought they needed more air. Frankly, the NV Krug Rose was a better pairing by default. Love how the acidity and zest cut through the creaminess of the soup, and how the Rose worked with the seared pancetta that topped the dish, along with some micro-greens.

Midway we segued to a 1996 Verset Cornas and a 1998 Levet La Chavaroche. The Levet was corked, like massively bad. What a bummer, but with a glorious Verset firing on all cylinders, all was quickly forgotten. The Verset is an intriguing wine. The nose is quite feral, gamey, naughty in presentation, but the palate was really quite elegant. Medium-weight, bright, crisp acid, with a lovely presence of blood orange. We came back to this wine later in the evening, and it continued to stun. My first Verset, and for me a life-long Cornas fan, I have to admit it was as distinct of a Cornas as I have had.

I should have opened another Cote Rotie, as I love my roasted slope Levets!

Second Course
Beef tartare, grilled focaccia, mussel escabeche
1996 Verset Cornas
1998 Levet La Chavaroche

These wines were intended for this specific course, and while they paired well with the soup, the tartare and syrah combination for me was the winner. Nothing like rare meat paired with syrah. Oh, and add in a poach, breaded egg. Great dish and pairing.

Third Course
Cappelletti polo guisao saffron cream sofrito
2008 Roulot - Fu, which bottling (ha, my wife tossed everything in the trash before I got up!)
2011 Clos Rougeard "Breze"

This was essentially a chicken pasta dish. And again by default, the whites were a far better pairing with this dish than the intended, mature burgundy. At this point both whites had been open for about an hour. The 2008 Roulot is a stunner. I'love defer to the burg experts for the details, but the nose was exotic, zesty, golden round and rich, with a medium-weight, rounded palate. Flinty, with excellent minerality. One of the best white wines that I have had in an exceedingly long time.

I love Loire Chenin Blanc, but it was an imbalanced pairing, with the 2011 Clos Rougeard outclassed by the Roulot. On its own, the Rougeard would have been damn fine perhaps with its higher acidity and citrusy presentation, may have been better with the soup.

Intermezzo
1972 Domaine Arnoux Vosne-Romanee 1st Cru Les Suchots
1990 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle

I'll again leave the 1972 Arnoux details to the Burgundy experts, Fu and Charlie Carnes. They went off on a side debate over whether the Arnoux has been reconditioned. The bottle looked superb, super clean label, tight cork and high fill. I didn't care, the nose beguiled me. Perhaps the most expressive aromatics of the evening, with ripe and earthy, almost gamey red and dark fruits, dried mushrooms and a hint of citrus. Medium to light-weight on the palate, bright acids, just lip-smackingly good though not necessarily profound. I would not have guessed a 45+ year old wine.

The 1990 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle is a bruiser. Gave forth all the hallmarks of a ripe vintage, heady nose of ripe dark fruits, rare meats, licorice and smoke. Not sure of the oak treatment on this wine, but it has an overt oak presence on the nose and palate. Big mouthfeel to this wine, still exceedingly young but exhibits considerable layering and density, more in the dark fruit range, wet earth, rare filet with a slight sear to it, closing with an almost Southern Rhone tar note. I enjoyed this wine much more than Charlie Carnes did, but it was interesting for me to see that my one buddy that leans more modern in wine tastes, this was his WOTN.

Fourth Course
Pastell de Yucca, pork belly, filet and langosta
2006 Gonon St. Joseph Vieille Vignes
2009 Juge Cornas
2008 Chateau Fonsalette Reserve

A funky dish, a Cuban take on surf and turf, perhaps a bit too much going on, but what the heck.

The 2006 Gonon VV was a stunner. Arguably this was the most classic Northern Rhone of the evening. Had all the archetype notes of black olive, pepper, brine, bacon and ripe dark fruits. Had a notable perfume of stems as well. The palate was dense, full-bodied, meaty, with excellent texture and delineation among the dark fruit spectrum. Where this excelled above the La Chappelle, a wine of similar scale, is it had the high-toned quality to lift the weight of the materials. Like a heavy-weight boxer on light feet. Give this wine five more years. Again, this was excellent, and a notch about the also excellent 2007 Gonon VV that I had last year.

The 2009 Juge Cornas, poor thing, it was like the wimpy brother next to the 2006 Gonon. The 2009 Juge is a solid wine, I just find the presentation more overtly ripe fruits than the intoxicating, earthy aromatics and minerality of say vintages like 2011 and 2014. Always love the blood citrus notes in Juges. Showcased some wild dark fruits as well. Simple finish, not lingering like the Gonon.

And then Marc forgot to pop the Fonsalette. Our fail here.

But we did circle back to finish off the remainder of the Verset. Quite an ending to have this meal course with three notable Northern Rhones, all of which are arguable unicorns at this point. Or as Marc and I quipped: Fu'nicorns.

Dessert
Olive oil cake with fruit compote
1965 Viuva Jose Gomes de Silva Colares Reserva Tinto

A Madiera would have been superb here, but vintage Colares with its old vine minerality and dry, saline presence, tends to pair quite well with dessert courses. Always a treat to enjoy these ante phylloxera wines grown literally right on the ocean in Portugal. And they taste like that place, hard to deny the concept of terroir when you drink a wine like this.

Thanks to the boys for making this a wonderful night! Cool that we all met through this website. MarcF is one of my closer friends and frequent drinking buddy, Charlie Carnes is just as cool of a cat as you will find, and we've gotten together four times over the last couple of years. Time to get the wives together as well. Great to finally meet and hang out with Fu in person, after we've been chatting for years online and by text/PM. A cool, gregarious guy!

For whatever reason, I cannot post pics from my iPad or iPhone to this website anymore. I used TinyPic for years, and now nothing loads. Post some pics if you can.
Last edited by Robert.A.Jr. on January 11th, 2019, 7:17 am, edited 8 times in total.

"Alfert was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Fu in da Hood: Gangsta Rhone Night in O-Town w/FL Man Berserkers

#2 Post by CJ Beazley » January 11th, 2019, 6:22 am

Pics or it didn’t happen
It's C(raig)

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » January 11th, 2019, 6:25 am

2006 Gonon VV or 2009? You have it listed two ways.

The 2006 is a stunner. I have never had the 2009. Heck, I have never seen the 2009.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 11th, 2019, 6:27 am

CJ Beazley wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 6:22 am
Pics or it didn’t happen
No kidding!

Sounds like an awesome night. WTF is Fu doing on the east coast?
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 6:31 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 6:25 am

The 2006 is a stunner. I have never had the 2009. Heck, I have never seen the 2009.
Sorry David, I corrected it. You would love this wine. I'm supposed to be getting the 2009, but we'll see. Having had 3 bottles of the 07 and 06 these last couple years, I can unequivocally say give these wines 15 years minimum. They are jaw-dropping wines, and given the rarity, deserve to be matured appropriately. No regrets, but boy would I love to have another in 5 or so years.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 6:33 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 6:27 am
CJ Beazley wrote:
Pics or it didn’t happen
No kidding!

Well Fu showed up with this interesting laittle hand-held device. It was small, square, with a round cyclinder coming out of the box. I think he called it a camera or something like that. He seemed to use it quite a bit last night. Perhaps he will post some. I really cannot figure out why I my pics no longer load from TinyPics.

He's headed to Bern's tomorrow.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#7 Post by c fu » January 11th, 2019, 6:44 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
CJ Beazley wrote:
Pics or it didn’t happen
No kidding!

Couple of client meetings this morn.

Roulot was 2008 mei chavaux
Arnoux was 72 les suchot

Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Fu in da Hood: Gangsta Rhone Night in O-Town w/FL Man Berserkers [Verset, Juge, Levet, Gonon VV, Jaboulet, et al]

#8 Post by CJ Beazley » January 11th, 2019, 6:48 am

Did you all win $100,00 for having an offline in total darkness?
It's C(raig)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Re: Fu in da Hood: Gangsta Rhone Night in O-Town w/FL Man Berserkers [Verset, Juge, Levet, Gonon VV, Jaboulet, et al]

#9 Post by c fu » January 11th, 2019, 6:49 am

Weird. Lemme upload it to imgur
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » January 11th, 2019, 6:50 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 6:31 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 6:25 am

Sorry David, I corrected it. You would love this wine. I'm supposed to be getting the 2009, but we'll see. Having had 3 bottles of the 07 and 06 these last couple years, I can unequivocally say give these wines 15 years minimum. They are jaw-dropping wines, and given the rarity, deserve to be matured appropriately. No regrets, but boy would I love to have another in 5 or so years.
I've had both the 2006 and 2007 multiple times. The 2006 is much friendlier...now.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 6:50 am

It was the most blind of blind tastings!

Charlie’s pics show up as black squares on my devices.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by alan weinberg » January 11th, 2019, 7:53 am

I think all those late release Arnouxs from a few years ago were reconditioned. I didn’t like the RSV and the one b of 72 Suchots I had was good not great. Super night.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#13 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 11th, 2019, 7:56 am

1) who is the awesome dude with the Clemson overshirt on?
2) Alfert, why did you only pour Fu-esque wines, all that trendy-ass N. Rhone? Why not some of your funky cab franc?? Where's the Alfert-wine?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#14 Post by c fu » January 11th, 2019, 8:02 am

alan weinberg wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 7:53 am
I think all those late release Arnouxs from a few years ago were reconditioned. I didn’t like the RSV and the one b of 72 Suchots I had was good not great. Super night.
Definitely reconditioned. tasted like it even if you ignore the label from the 90s and the super high fill.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Fred C

#15 Post by Fred C » January 11th, 2019, 10:15 am

That 90 La Chapelle may out live us all.
Ch!3n

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 10:33 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 7:56 am
2) Alfert, why did you only pour Fu-esque wines, all that trendy-ass N. Rhone? Why not some of your funky cab franc?? Where's the Alfert-wine?
Second question first, Todd, and clearly what we have here is a cultural and age group chasm, just note the attire. While us Central Floridians dress to impress, enjoying the skin tight jeans and fancy labels, Charlie shows up in his fu'fu'lemon sweat pants. And then it hits me, while we are here for the fashion, Fu is here for battle. And he worked his way through the wines like a prize fighter, and still wanting more at the end of the night. We ended up popping two more burgs and around 1 AM he wanted to order chicken wings and fries. I'm just not sure he's ready for the nuance of Chinon. Not yet.

As for the first question, that's the original country squire, landed gentry, Mr. Charlie "Con Carne" Carnes. He wore that Clemson shirt as my Bama son picked him up in the Deerslayer, so was his way of jabbing at the kid. Little did he know his life was in danger.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Maire ONeill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Maire ONeill » January 11th, 2019, 10:43 am

Great notes - thanks for sharing! Sounds like an awesome dinner. I agree with you on the Gonon '06 VV - that finish just goes on and on - amazing wine! Haven't yet had the opportunity to try the '90 La Chapelle but interesting that you thought the Gonon has it beat. Now if one could only find the VV to purchase:-)

Claus Jeppesen

#18 Post by Claus Jeppesen » January 11th, 2019, 10:50 am

Very nice wines
Who is the handsome guy?
Claus

Riesling and Slate

Ed Gonzales
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Ed Gonzales » January 11th, 2019, 10:55 am

c fu wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 6:44 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
CJ Beazley wrote:
Pics or it didn’t happen
No kidding!

Couple of client meetings this morn.

Roulot was 2008 mei chavaux
Arnoux was 72 les suchot

fu is all bluesteel and shit.

sounds like a great night gents.

[cheers.gif]
ed s @ n

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#20 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 11th, 2019, 10:56 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 10:33 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 7:56 am
Second question first, Todd, and clearly what we have here is a cultural and age group chasm, just note the attire. While us Central Floridians dress to impress, enjoying the skin tight jeans and fancy labels, Charlie shows up in his fu'fu'lemon sweat pants. And then it hits me, while we are here for the fashion, Fu is here for battle. And he worked his way through the wines like a prize fighter, and still wanting more at the end of the night. We ended up popping two more burgs and around 1 AM he wanted to order chicken wings and fries. I'm just not sure he's ready for the nuance of Chinon. Not yet.

As for the first question, that's the original country squire, landed gentry, Mr. Charlie "Con Carne" Carnes. He wore that Clemson shirt as my Bama son picked him up in the Deerslayer, so was his way of jabbing at the kid. Little did he know his life was in danger.
You write far too well to be an attorney. I suppose your signature is also legible?

#notanattorney

Yes, Charlie never, EVER dresses to impress. Unless he's impressing some neckbeards at a local craft brewery.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#21 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 11th, 2019, 10:56 am

Ed Gonzales wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 10:55 am

[cheers.gif]
That's not blue steel, that's 'I have to poop now because I ordered chicken wings at 1 am'

Ed Gonzales
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Ed Gonzales » January 11th, 2019, 10:59 am

frenchie - i thought he dressed up.
ed s @ n

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by K John Joseph » January 11th, 2019, 11:20 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 6:21 am
There is no Wall. No metaphysical barriers. This house is all about diversity. Reminds me of a joke? What do you get when you gather 3 Cubans (2 were the help), an Asian, a hairy Italian, a Venezuelan, and two Central Florida country squires?
Asian is not a nationality, Mr. Alfert.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Kenny H » January 11th, 2019, 11:23 am

[wow.gif] I would suffer a lot of Cuban machismo for that lineup.

Going to need an advance copy of the next menu. Asking for a friend.

Since you are not good with ethnicities I will give you my 23nMe.
H0eve!kamp

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#25 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 11th, 2019, 11:28 am

K John Joseph wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 11:20 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
I guess that would be a continentality?

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Kenny H wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 11:23 am

See the diffference is, Kenny, when Fu comes to town he reaches out so that we can plan a dinner. You, on the otherhand, surreptitiously enter the state, nary a word to your Cuban brother, and I find out cause you posted a running workout on our Strava site, showing you nearby. I was hurt.

Just cycled 41 miles and then walked the dogs with the wife for 3 miles. Sweating out the poison. You would love the cycling weather today: Sunny and high-60s/low-70s.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#27 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 11th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 12:17 pm
Kenny H wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 11:23 am

See the diffference is, Kenny, when Fu comes to town he reaches out so that we can plan a dinner.
That because, as a man of leisure, he expects to be taken care of when he graces your area with a visit.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 11:28 am
K John Joseph wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 11:20 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
I guess that would be a continentality?
Tsk, tsk. Details are for my associates, I'm the concept guy. Can't let things get in the way of the narrative, my friends. At least I didn't blame Fu's country of birth on the Florida citrus canker. Carnes will have to explain that one again . . . .

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Mark Y » January 11th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Your wife threw out everything?

Does that mean you guys finisheddddd all of those bottles?
Y.e.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Charlie Carnes » January 11th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Super fun night! Thanks to Robert for hosting, and Fu for making the journey! First time hanging with Charlie. He is super fun and super knowing (except for his Cote-Roti gaffe-I'll let him 'splain that one, Ha!). Kurt and Ivan are great too, wish they would take the plunge and do a little Berserking!

I'll try to get to all of the wines later, but I want to say that I was disappointed in the two main wines I brought. I just looked and found that I bought the Arnoux in 2010 from Crush. Didn't cross my mind at the time if it was reconditioned, but it most surely was. I certainly question these things more today. The wine was beautiful, limpid red, with pretty light orange on the edges. Robert's note is about right, I will just say the gaminess to me came of as a little bretty/funky. Charlie wondered for a second if the wine had some Syrah, and I would say that it did have some similatities with some of the Northern Rhones that we were drinking. Decent and interesting, but like Robert stated, not profound. I was disappointed, because I wanted Robert and Marc to taste a fully resolved Burg. and that didn't happen here. The bottle was still finished.

I have had plenty of older La Chapelle, and they are generally pretty good. I am not sure this was the best representation, as I have been floored by this wine before. Still the wine was good. Dark, heavy mineral/soil presence, some telltale black olive, and savory spices. Felt like something was holding the fruit at bay, and it couldn't break free, as it was just a little stiff, and dried out.

One more before I go. The Verset was totally cool. Literally, the red fruit was cool and bright. We all agreed to some sort of feralness to the wine. I thought it was perfect. Medium clear red fruit, light bodied with dove blood, and trampled grass, hay, tart and juicy, nearing succulent, with a hint of olive and spice. A tremendous, beguiling wine!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Charlie Carnes » January 11th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Mark Y wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 12:35 pm

My head is saying yes. Freakin' Robert woke up early, typed this up, and busted out 46 milke on the bicycle.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Charlie Carnes » January 11th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 10:56 am
Ed Gonzales wrote:

[cheers.gif]
That's not blue steel, that's 'I have to poop now because I ordered chicken wings at 1 am'
He's an animal! Couldn't get the wings delivered. Then we go to the hotel bar for a Scotch, and missed last call be 10 minutes. I bet his 2:00 AM room service bill is huge!

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by RyanC » January 11th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 12:43 pm

One more before I go. The Verset was totally cool. Literally, the red fruit was cool and bright. We all agreed to some sort of feralness to the wine. I thought it was perfect. Medium clear red fruit, light bodied with dove blood, and trampled grass, hay, tart and juicy, nearing succulent, with a hint of olive and spice. A tremendous, beguiling wine!
That's an excellent description of Verset at its best -- and why I love it so dearly.
C@ughey

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#34 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 11th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 10:56 am
Ed Gonzales wrote:

[cheers.gif]
He's an animal! Couldn't get the wings delivered. Then we go to the hotel bar for a Scotch, and missed last call be 10 minutes. I bet his 2:00 AM room service bill is huge!
He's not allowed to go out very often, so when he does, he makes it worthwhile

(plus advantage of PST-EST - only 11 pm for him!)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 11th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Mark Y wrote:

My head is saying yes. Freakin' Robert woke up early, typed this up, and busted out 46 milke on the bicycle.
Does he have a day job?
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Matthew King » January 11th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
Mark Y wrote:

Maybe you had too much of the dove blood? neener [cheers.gif]

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 1:24 pm

RyanC wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 1:00 pm
Charlie Carnes wrote:

That's an excellent description of Verset at its best -- and why I love it so dearly.
No kidding, only a hunter could write that great note!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Matthew King wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 1:08 pm
Charlie Carnes wrote:
Mark Y wrote:

Maybe you had too much of the dove blood? neener [cheers.gif]
That Robert guy is an animal. He also just saved a duck that was stuck in a street drain; it was crying so much, sounded like an injured cat. Corey Booker has nothing on this guy.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Jayson Cohen

#39 Post by Jayson Cohen » January 11th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
This. I would have never guessed Alfert was a Verset virgin.

Thanks to you all for the write-ups. Sounds like a great night.

Not sure you had a perfect 2009 Juge. The description doesn’t sound quite right.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 1:34 pm
Charlie Carnes wrote:
This. I would have never guessed Alfert was a Verset virgin.

Thanks to you all for the write-ups. Sounds like a great night.

Not sure you had a perfect 2009 Juge. The description doesn’t sound quite right.
Yea, surprises me too. Verset retired around the time Florida's shipping laws opened up more, give or take a couple years here or there. And you would never find a Verset here. Too bad, killer stuff, would have loved to have stock-piled it. Now the prices are a bit brutal, $500+.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

p. raghib

#41 Post by p. raghib » January 11th, 2019, 2:53 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
I agree that the late releases seem far too young for the vintages on the btl. A friend of mine disagrees since "they could never do that"....
cheers'

-paul r.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 2:54 pm

p. raghib wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 2:53 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
I agree that the late releases seem far too young for the vintages on the btl. A friend of mine disagrees since "they could never do that"....
Are they reconditioned with the same vintage or a current release?

Kenny H (circa 2015)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by John Morris » January 11th, 2019, 3:46 pm

p. raghib wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 2:53 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
Why not? The Bordelaise did it? Borgogno did it in Barolo?
"Cream is not the only bovine product that rises in a bull market." --Justin Hibbard -- @hibbard

"Facebook is a company started by a teen in his dorm room to rank the hotness of Harvard students that has today grown into the market leader in the field of apologizing for privacy violations."--Matt Levine, Bloomberg

Nathan V.

#44 Post by Nathan V. » January 11th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
I know, right? No band-aid or bacterial spoilage notes...
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Jayson Cohen

#45 Post by Jayson Cohen » January 11th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 4:25 pm
Jayson Cohen wrote:
I know, right? No band-aid or bacterial spoilage notes...
Ha! Never got that on the 2009. (Or any others IME. Used to be a splash of VA sometimes, which I liked.) The 2009 is really a great wine, Nathan, which you were supposed to experience first hand last summer!

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 11th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I had the 2009 a few years back, and loved it, but not as much as I did the 2010, 2011 and 2014. Perhaps it was just outshined in this line-up, or my review of it was just off, it was one of the last wines in a long line-up of wines among a small group (none of us spitting!), but it was not at the Gonon VV level. It was side-by-side with the Gonon. Perhaps one of the boys has a view they would like to share. I’m not sure MarcF has climbed out of bed, however!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by C. Keller » January 11th, 2019, 5:52 pm

So etiquette for a berserkers get together is 2.5 bottles per person. Got it.

I need to get my tolerance up
Chris

NoahR
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by NoahR » January 11th, 2019, 5:56 pm

This sounds like an awesome night. I will try to ping you next time I take the wife and kids to Disney World. Maybe I can escape for a few...

Chinon Fest? The World is Due. Rieslingfeier, Paulee, Festa de Barolo, blah blah blah. Rip your damn enamel off with Muscadet and dry Chenin and then dye your teeth with deep red buttfunk-and-Bell-pepper Chinon...
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Zachary Ross

#49 Post by Zachary Ross » January 11th, 2019, 5:56 pm

FIRST VERSET?!? wut.

Great notes!
Iroulégeek.

Christian H

#50 Post by Christian H » January 11th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Wow...what a great night of food, wine and friends...cheers..

Return to “Wine Talk”