Never too old to learn something new about wine

I’m 67 years old, collecting seriously since 1985, drink very well mostly old pre 94 old white burgundy and champagne from the 80’s onward where most of my purchases have occurred over the past few years. I think I possess an enormous amount of tasting experience and have watched many red and white burgundies evolve over time in my cellar. In the past I purchased lots of 375ml to quaff and not many magnums. It was not a mistake having consumed 375’s earlier than 750’s but did I ever miss the boat purchasing magnums.
Drank a lot of Krug this week in all sizes, Mags kill.
Interested to hear what others have learned.

I have quite a few mags, but rarely open them. Still glad I have them for special occasions etc.

They kill the pocketbook and die on the table as it’s difficult to drink an entire one by yourself.

I have been lucky in that mags were always party of my buying program, though in hindsige too small a part. This is especially true of lesser wines, which, incrementally, often benefit more than great wines from the format. Last weekend popped a 1983 Haut-Bages-liberal with friends and while not a stunner it was absolutely terrific, particularly texturally. Great wines are fun to have but it’s much easier popping the cork on a modest big bottle than something truly special. I find it difficult to find the right group to share a mag of some coveted wine. Partly the fault of my wine friends, all too generous leading to a surfeit of great wine at events that would warrant the popping of grand corks!

Chet - was your question generally about what we’ve learned over the course of our wine careers, or what we’ve learned about magnums?

would usually rather have 2 750s though I do cellar 1.5s. There is always so much to learn. I started in 1984–with a mixed case from Trader Joe that cost me $84. And I’ve learned from you!

I still know little about wine and feel that the best learning experiences for me, still, are blind tastings.

As for mags, folks like Phil Franks and others have pushed mags for years, and I started to listen, so for once I worry more about when I will drink my mags than regret not buying them. Have a few setup for the long haul, like '05 Chave Hermitage, '06 Taittinger Comtes, '14 Gonon St Joseph, '04 Lascombes, maybe even the '01 Mondavi Reserve! Mags are awesome, indeed.

Some wines seem to flourish in magnums. Chave for instance always seems to be brilliant, at least when Gerard was making the wines. I have had the same experience with a few Right Bank Bordeaux, less so with wines from the Medoc.

Also I love Champagne in large format screams special occasion.

Champagne seems to derive the most benefit from the magnum format and also is one of the few where I see the whole magnum consumed. Possibly because it comes out early in the evening.

Approx. 1% of our cellar is magnums. I rarely have the opportunity to open one, but that could largely be due to where I’m at in life (very little time to attend wine gatherings).

I feel there needs to be at least 8 people drinking before a magnum is warranted, in most circumstances.

Sarah-

Not as to Mags, generally as Alan aswered. Further, I’ve also learned that white burgundy requires a vigorous decant and then to never drink them and or Champagne too cold and that each develop much more flavor, texture and character at temperature as the warm, not as they get colder in a chilled bucket bring mindful to not let them warm too much.

I wish I had bought more higher end Champagne 10-15 years ago