Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Supreme Court, and wine.

#151 Post by Jayson Cohen » June 28th, 2019, 5:31 pm

crickey wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 9:18 am
I haven't shopped at many Total Wine stores, but based on the three in my area I have been to, Binny's has a much more interesting wine selection.
This. Except for Bordeaux, Total isn’t even close to Binny’s. I always like to go when I’m in Chicago. (Used to be I would try to go to Sam’s.)

jordan whitehead

#152 Post by jordan whitehead » July 15th, 2019, 12:29 pm

just got hit with a bill now collecting sales tax based on state of the retailer as opposed to the state being shipped to
www.annaswish.org

crickey

#153 Post by crickey » July 15th, 2019, 1:55 pm

jordan whitehead wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 12:29 pm
just got hit with a bill now collecting sales tax based on state of the retailer as opposed to the state being shipped to
A bunch of those. Pretty much every NY retailer has moved that way. Flickinger started doing that a few months ago. And not just Illinois, but also the full Chicago/Cook county tax. 10.5% added a lot to the cost.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by Dennis Borczon » July 15th, 2019, 2:52 pm

The golden age is over. No more untaxed wine in the future shipped to your door. It is only fair that open competition should make up for the tax collection concerns.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#155 Post by Alan Rath » July 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Yeah, on one hand, the no sales tax days were nice while they lasted (notwithstanding that we're all supposed to declare sales taxes we didn't pay on our state returns). But it never made sense, essentially cannibalizing the taxes that pay for the services we all want (again, notwithstanding that some of us complain about misuse of taxes).
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#156 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 15th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm
Yeah, on one hand, the no sales tax days were nice while they lasted (notwithstanding that we're all supposed to declare sales taxes we didn't pay on our state returns). But it never made sense, essentially cannibalizing the taxes that pay for the services we all want (again, notwithstanding that some of us complain about misuse of taxes).
Agreed. I'm not kicking about having to pay taxes (once!). Also, this should make shipping across state lines much easier with time
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#157 Post by Alan Rath » July 15th, 2019, 4:43 pm

How does it work from states that have smaller, or no sales tax? In theory, you might think those states will have some small competitive advantage. Will we see retailers in low/no sales tax states ramping up internet sales efforts?

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#158 Post by CJ Beazley » July 15th, 2019, 5:22 pm

Dennis Borczon wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 2:52 pm
The golden age is over. No more untaxed wine in the future shipped to your door. It is only fair that open competition should make up for the tax collection concerns.
Lemme know when all this ‘open competition’ starts here in Texas.
It's C(raig)

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#159 Post by Jim Anderson » July 15th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 4:43 pm
How does it work from states that have smaller, or no sales tax? In theory, you might think those states will have some small competitive advantage. Will we see retailers in low/no sales tax states ramping up internet sales efforts?
As a winery that’s as compliant as can be I know that we have to, if we are shipping to you, charge you the tax of the state you live in. Before we began toeing the line we stated that all sales were declared to have occurred in and property was taken possession of in Oregon. Can’t get licensing if you go that route unfortunately, especially since we have no sales tax here in Oregon.

So, if you’re going to be buying some expensive jewelry or clothing or such items, come to Oregon and save on the sales tax you would have spent buying those elsewhere and invest that money in a nice wine vacation and have some stuff shipped back to you. The sales tax will be way less than on some multi-karat jewels and boxes of Hermès (coming soon)!
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 16th, 2019, 4:12 am

As long as I only pay sales tax in one state! I am waiting for the situation in which both the shipping and receiving states claim the right to tax.

Victor Hong

#161 Post by Victor Hong » July 16th, 2019, 4:33 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 4:12 am
As long as I only pay sales tax in one state! I am waiting for the situation in which both the shipping and receiving states claim the right to tax.
Nothing to stop both from taxing.
WineHunter.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#162 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 16th, 2019, 5:02 am

Victor Hong wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 4:33 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Nothing to stop both from taxing.
I don't claim to be an expert in the field but I know of nothing.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#163 Post by Jim Anderson » July 16th, 2019, 5:50 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Well, get it all shipped from Oregon then because we don’t have a sales tax and, given the historical record on attempting to implement one here,
I imagine we never will have one.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Al Osterheld

#164 Post by Al Osterheld » July 16th, 2019, 6:20 am

In California the law until recently was that you needed to report and pay use tax for out of state purchases that did not collect California sales tax, but you received a credit for any sales tax paid to another state (not to exceed the CA use tax).

Now, out of state sellers are required to collect and remit CA sales tax if they have more than $100,000 in CA sales and at least 200 separate transactions.

-Al

Nathan V.

#165 Post by Nathan V. » July 16th, 2019, 6:32 am

Jim Anderson wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 7:11 pm
Alan Rath wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 4:43 pm
As a winery that’s as compliant as can be I know that we have to, if we are shipping to you, charge you the tax of the state you live in. Before we began toeing the line we stated that all sales were declared to have occurred in and property was taken possession of in Oregon. Can’t get licensing if you go that route unfortunately, especially since we have no sales tax here in Oregon.

So, if you’re going to be buying some expensive jewelry or clothing or such items, come to Oregon and save on the sales tax you would have spent buying those elsewhere and invest that money in a nice wine vacation and have some stuff shipped back to you. The sales tax will be way less than on some multi-karat jewels and boxes of Hermès (coming soon)!
My idea of compliance was that tax is collected for the state where the purchaser is located, not sure whether that is by shipping address for the goods or billing address. Isn't that the way Amazon did it? What we want is for states to allow shipping in and the reason they don't want to is because they're not getting the sales tax.

It seems like to me that this would push small stores who don't have the bandwidth for compliance out of the shipping market. Large retailers will still be able to ship, so I expect that there will be two markets. That could create good opportunities for those who have a good relationship with a retailer that isn't in the shipping game as I imagine that that could lead to "deals" on scarce items that will be priced to market from large shipping-able retailers (things like Fourrier, etc.).
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#166 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 16th, 2019, 7:16 am

Al Osterheld wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 6:20 am
In California the law until recently was that you needed to report and pay use tax for out of state purchases that did not collect California sales tax, but you received a credit for any sales tax paid to another state (not to exceed the CA use tax).

Now, out of state sellers are required to collect and remit CA sales tax if they have more than $100,000 in CA sales and at least 200 separate transactions.

-Al
That has been common, but as was suggested by the Trump tax bill, the credit one state gives for taxes paid in another state or that the federal government gives for state taxes paid appears to be more of an accommodation than a legal requirement. Again, not an expert; ask someone who is.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#167 Post by Alan Rath » July 16th, 2019, 8:07 am

So, if NY collects sales tax on an order, does that tax get sent to California?

Al Osterheld

#168 Post by Al Osterheld » July 16th, 2019, 8:37 am

As mentioned, California recently passed a law that require NY retailers (not the state) to register with CA, collect and remit CA sales tax on tangible goods sold for shipment to CA if they have at least $100,000 in sales in CA or 200 separate transactions in CA. What NY require of the NY retailer is a separate question.

As far as the credit CA gives for out of state sales tax paid to another state, the credit is part of the instructions for the CA use tax worksheet. I haven't looked up the actual CA regulations.

-Al

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#169 Post by Alan Rath » July 16th, 2019, 9:10 am

I ask because I can't make sense of the tax rates being charge by out of state retailers. Zachys, for example, charges 8.375%, which isn't their tax rate, and isn't our tax rate.

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#170 Post by mmarcellus » July 16th, 2019, 11:03 am

Alan Rath wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 9:10 am
I ask because I can't make sense of the tax rates being charge by out of state retailers. Zachys, for example, charges 8.375%, which isn't their tax rate, and isn't our tax rate.
8.375% is indeed the White Plains sales tax rate.
M @ r k

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#171 Post by Alan Rath » July 16th, 2019, 11:19 am

OK, thanks. Google said something different.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#172 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » July 22nd, 2019, 1:30 pm

Just got hit with sales tax on an order from JJB. First time...
[swearing.gif]

Al Osterheld

#173 Post by Al Osterheld » July 22nd, 2019, 1:47 pm

Sales tax for which state, ie, CA or your state?

-Al

crickey

#174 Post by crickey » July 22nd, 2019, 2:05 pm

mmarcellus wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 11:03 am
Alan Rath wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 9:10 am
8.375% is indeed the White Plains sales tax rate.
I searched Scarsdale, which is lower, but I notice that their corporate office is located in White Plains, so that probably explains the WP sales tax rate.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#175 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » July 22nd, 2019, 2:05 pm

[scratch.gif] Not sure. It’s a rate I don’t recognize - 8.17%. Texas sales tax is 8.25%, where I live.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#176 Post by Mike Evans » April 26th, 2020, 9:26 am

The Sixth Circuit recently ruled that Michigan can prohibit direct shipping by out-of-state retailers while allowing it by in-state retailers. The opinion can be found at https://www.opn.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinio ... 19p-06.pdf.
Last edited by Mike Evans on April 26th, 2020, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#177 Post by Mark Golodetz » April 26th, 2020, 10:37 am

Mike Evans wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 9:26 am
The Sixth Circuit recently ruled that Michigan can prohibit direct shipping by out-of-state retailers while allowing it by in-state retailers. The opinion can be found at https://www.opn.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinio ... 0a0119p-06.
It has been removed
ITB

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#178 Post by Mike Evans » April 26th, 2020, 10:39 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 10:37 am
Mike Evans wrote:
The Sixth Circuit recently ruled that Michigan can prohibit direct shipping by out-of-state retailers while allowing it by in-state retailers. The opinion can be found at https://www.opn.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinio ... 19p-06.pdf.
It has been removed
Thanks, I’ve corrected the link so it should work now.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#179 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » April 26th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
Paging the dormant commerce clause...dormant commerce clause please come to line 1.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#180 Post by Adam Frisch » April 26th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Well, the tax rate for the states are one thing, but then depending on which county the buyer lives in there's often an extra tax there. As an example, here's from my tax compliance person in regards to Texas:

Texas is a bit more all over with the city, county and special rates so most of our clients just go with an average of 8%. The base rate is 6.25% with cities adding an additional 1% and counties and special areas adding 0.25%-0.50% depending on how many they fall into. Looking at the three cities you shipped to though they all fall into the 8.25% so if you are not going to have a lot at first you could just use that rate.

So as a shipper/seller, it's impossible to cover yourself for each county, so many just add an average tax.

Compliance here in the states is a nightmare. I don't know how it got this bad.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Marc Hauser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#181 Post by Marc Hauser » April 26th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Adam Frisch wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 3:07 pm
It has always been bad.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman cannabis lawyer and erstwhile wine lawyer)

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#182 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » June 30th, 2020, 10:19 am

What's the latest on this? Frustrated as hell...found a wine I wanted at Calvert Woodley in DC, and they won't even entertain third party shipping to Texas. I demand my rights!
[soap.gif]

crickey

#183 Post by crickey » June 30th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 10:39 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
Mike Evans wrote:
It has been removed
I just saw this link and read the opinion. What was interesting was that the 6th Circuit read Tennessee Wine & Spirits as consistent with prior 21st Amendment cases. I suppose they had to, but for the issue before them, it was consistent with prior case law because Tennessee did not overturn licensing requirements and in the Michigan case, the issue was a retailer trying to sell into Michigan without a Michigan liquor license.

The problem with Tennessee Wine & Spirits was that it both affirmed and denied the restrictions of the 21st Amendment. It picked an example of a facially discriminatory statute and then proceeded to demonstrate the obvious, that facially discriminatory statutes aren't justifiable on health and welfare grounds. At the same time, it said that the 21st Amendment required greater deference to the state to justify such health and welfare grounds without establishing any guidance for lower courts to figure out where to draw boundaries.

The harder case is going to be when that same Indiana retailer applies for a license in Michigan and is denied because Michigan requires a physical presence in the state. The harder case is going to be when an out-of-state (but licensed) retailer sells a product in a state that was obtained from a wholesaler not licensed in that state, thus undermining the three-tier system. Both of those requirements were noted by the 6th Circuit as protected by the 21st Amendment, albeit as dicta. Are these really consistent with Tennessee Wine & Spirits?

All we know for sure is that there is a lot more litigation ahead.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#184 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 30th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 10:19 am
What's the latest on this? Frustrated as hell...found a wine I wanted at Calvert Woodley in DC, and they won't even entertain third party shipping to Texas. I demand my rights!
[soap.gif]
Tell them you want to ship it to a private, religious school.

(recent SCOTUS case humor...)
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#185 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » June 30th, 2020, 2:08 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
[soap.gif]

Ha, I don’t think First Baptist of Dallas will accept this delivery!

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#186 Post by David Glasser » July 1st, 2020, 11:22 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 2:08 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
[soap.gif]

Ha, I don’t think First Baptist of Dallas will accept this delivery!
Start your own - St. Vinifera? No doubt easier than getting a license to import alcohol into the state.

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#187 Post by Dan Kravitz » July 1st, 2020, 6:11 pm

Adam Frisch wrote:
Well, the tax rate for the states are one thing, but then depending on which county the buyer lives in there's often an extra tax there. As an example, here's from my tax compliance person in regards to Texas:

Texas is a bit more all over with the city, county and special rates so most of our clients just go with an average of 8%. The base rate is 6.25% with cities adding an additional 1% and counties and special areas adding 0.25%-0.50% depending on how many they fall into. Looking at the three cities you shipped to though they all fall into the 8.25% so if you are not going to have a lot at first you could just use that rate.

So as a shipper/seller, it's impossible to cover yourself for each county, so many just add an average tax.

It got this bad when Prohibition was repealed and the Repeal Amendment seemed to let individual states stay dry... except the states read it as allowing them to both stay wet and to trash the Interstate Commerce Clause of the Constitution. It's taking the Supreme Court about a century to straighten it out.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

rsmithjr

#188 Post by rsmithjr » July 6th, 2020, 11:53 am

crickey wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 1:39 pm
Mike Evans wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 10:39 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:

It has been removed
I just saw this link and read the opinion. What was interesting was that the 6th Circuit read Tennessee Wine & Spirits as consistent with prior 21st Amendment cases. I suppose they had to, but for the issue before them, it was consistent with prior case law because Tennessee did not overturn licensing requirements and in the Michigan case, the issue was a retailer trying to sell into Michigan without a Michigan liquor license.

The problem with Tennessee Wine & Spirits was that it both affirmed and denied the restrictions of the 21st Amendment. It picked an example of a facially discriminatory statute and then proceeded to demonstrate the obvious, that facially discriminatory statutes aren't justifiable on health and welfare grounds. At the same time, it said that the 21st Amendment required greater deference to the state to justify such health and welfare grounds without establishing any guidance for lower courts to figure out where to draw boundaries.

The harder case is going to be when that same Indiana retailer applies for a license in Michigan and is denied because Michigan requires a physical presence in the state. The harder case is going to be when an out-of-state (but licensed) retailer sells a product in a state that was obtained from a wholesaler not licensed in that state, thus undermining the three-tier system. Both of those requirements were noted by the 6th Circuit as protected by the 21st Amendment, albeit as dicta. Are these really consistent with Tennessee Wine & Spirits?

All we know for sure is that there is a lot more litigation ahead.
This is a nightmare, I was hoping my De Negoce shipments were going to my summer home in Michigan.....
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant'

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#189 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 6th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Dan Kravitz wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:11 pm
Adam Frisch wrote:

It got this bad when Prohibition was repealed and the Repeal Amendment seemed to let individual states stay dry... except the states read it as allowing them to both stay wet and to trash the Interstate Commerce Clause of the Constitution. It's taking the Supreme Court about a century to straighten it out.

Dan Kravitz
As much as I hate the result, the price for repealing prohibition was ceding this regulatory power to the states. I'd say the (welcome) incremental claw back we are seeing from the Supreme Court is rewriting rather than restoring the history of the amendment.

Return to “Wine Talk”