2014 CdP

I’ve seen a few very positive reviews on 14 CdP lately. Do you guys think it’s drinking well now? There are quite a few that are very inexpensive, with janasse and donjon <30

Btw thewinebuyer has 14 Janasse for 28 with free shipping on 3 btls

Domaine Bois de Boursan

I’ve only had Pegau, but it is very good if you like them smaller scaled and more restrained than the bigger, hotter years.

Agree on the Pegau.

It’s not the kind of vintage that critics rave about, but good winemakers made good wine. 4-5 years is prime time for CdP to shut down, though, so I don’t know how any particular wine will show now. If you like the producer, I would definitely try some with some airing. They will drink younger than years like 15, 16 and 17.

In general, I feel like most of the 100% Grenache CdP’s suffered, but producers who were able to play with the blending % of varieties, made some really good wine.

commercial post: I import Pegau to most of the U.S.

I like 2014 and hope it may develop like some other ‘under the radar’ vintages. Ideally it would eventually develop like 1994 and 2004, but I think more likely it will have darker fruit like 1999. For those who enjoy the oxymoron of a racier style of Chateauneuf, 2013 is beginning to show well. IMO 2014 will be at peak in about 2025 - 2030. 2013 will mature earlier. Obviously 2015 and especially 2016 are in it for the long haul.

Dan Kravitz

2014 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/4/2019)
Day 1: Not the over the top CDP that has been more frequent lately. Lighter in style with underbrush, wild game, spice, water chestnuts and stone. Short to medium finish and good acidity. I think day 2 and 3 could improve greatly. 90 points
Day 2: Hello! Nose is fantastic with floral, blue fruits, spice and stone. Palate is more intense than day 1 but still has really good acidity. Wild game, floral, blue fruits and stone. Medium plus finish and day 2 has improve my outlook on an already good day 1 showing. This should age for another decade at least. 92 points
Day 3: Not as good as day 2 as it has lost some of the intensity. Certainly not bad and should have a long aging potential. Will revisit on day 4. 90 points
Day 4: Going with the rare day 4 review. Very similar to day 1 of all things with the lighter style. Spice, Garrique, wild game and mushrooms. Short to medium finish. 91 points
Recommendation: Buy this wine. Found it locally for $29.95. I would do a 4 hour decant if you want to drink now but I would cellar for 2 to 3 years at this point. (92 points)

Another technique for a wine this young would be to open it 24 hours ahead, pour an ounce to taste, then leave it at cool room temp. IMO that gets a good amount of oxygen in the wine without the trauma of a decant. Not the same as 5 - 10 years in the cellar, but a quick way to mimic the effect.

Dan Kravitz

2 Likes

Yep, Pégau 2014 is a more feminine and delicate vintage!

2014 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (17-04-17)
Great nose of bacon, ripe spicy garrigue, herbes de Provence, very Pégau nose!! Super delicate fresh vintage, fresh red cherries, hint of silky tannins, super feminine and delicate. Great fresh Pégau!! (94 points)

Going back to 2014 Vieux Donjon. Opened up quite early in a very fruit forward manner, I mean not necessarily in a new world way nor enough to put off most AFWEs (except the most strident), but forward nonetheless. Then a real study in layered fruits, as if it was challenging you to distinguish the fruit profiles of multiple varieties stacked on top of each other, complexity squared, but grenache I think is the star here. Then with over an hour of air just fabulous garrigue herbs, hints of minerals and a tiny bit of earth. Complexity is the operative here. One of my most satisfying VD vintages. Outstanding, 4 (out of 5).

2 Likes

Bois de Boursan and Pegau 2014 are fine now, if still a bit young

1 Like