2006 Hamilton Russell Pinot Noir

2006 was apparently a very good vintage for this wine. I bought a case upon release but had not had one in a couple of years. Aromas of roses and black tea are followed by black fruits and blood on the palate. Not sure if this will further improve but no signs of decline anytime soon. A very sophisticated drink.

Distinctive South African Pinot

Love them and often wonder why I don’t buy more?? Thanks for the note.

Always good to see notes on these, especially with some age. I have a few of the '13s I’m holding on to. I do think they have the structure and balance for mid-term aging. I tried some older ones at a tasting with Anthony Hamilton Russell a few years back and they aged gracefully. The aged Chardonnays on the other hand were more interesting than good IMO.

Nice- always loved this producer, especially the pinots. Much like Scott, I’ve always wondered why I never bought more… glad to hear this '06 was drinking well, and thanks for sharing.

I bumped into a friend yesterday who was carrying a bottle of the current release. I haven’t had one in years, but I remember being served the '99 blind circa 2002 or 2003. Three of us – including someone who imported Burgundy – guessed it was a '99 Volnay.

A couple of later vintages I tried seemed to show their oak a little too conspicuously. I take it that wasn’t the case with the '06 at this point.

I was thinking yesterday that I owe it to myself to try one of these again. This thread reinforces that urge!

Haven’t had the 2006 as I just discovered them in January on a work trip to Cape Town. But the 2017 Pinot was absolutely amazing. Earthy and restrained. Wonderful wine. Someone said their Chard was even better, so I went out and bought a bottle of that, but haven’t tried it yet.

Good to hear about the 2017 Pinot. I usually get a bottle or two of the Pinot Noir and the Chardonnay every other vintage or so, after being turned on to them a while back. If you like their wines and get back to SA, contact them in advance about a visit. In addition to the good wines, they are very welcoming and gracious.

Nice note. Agree that these have been a pleasant surprise in the handful of times I’ve tried them.

Thanks so much for this. I have one of these left. Will plan to open it soon. Thanks again.

I should buy a half case of their Chardonnay every year. Always great, excellent QPR.

Their Chardonnay is superb as well btw.

Tried the 2017 and found it both young and aggressively oaked. On day two+ it began to hit its stride. Definitely well made wines.

Agreed the Chards are also really nice imho, just bought a handful of the 17 pinots from Wine Library and at $29.99 plus free shipping yes more please [wow.gif]
PSA they have 6 bottles left at that price.

Never seen anyone mention Creation Wines here, but some of my SA wine friends say it’s their favorite Pinot maker. Also fromt he Hemel-and-Aarde valley (Heaven and Earth valley). I have one as a special gift from my friend, The Art of Pinot Noir but haven’t dared open it yet. I know it took a lot for him to part with it.