Dinner with champagnes, Ygrec and 6 Right Bank Bordeaux

Eight members of our fine wine dinner group enjoyed another stellar evening, this time at Blackbird located in the Hotel Californian. Our wine theme in addition to starter wines was Right Bank Bordeaux.

2012 LOUIS ROEDERER BRUT- 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay; a member brought this to a recent dinner and I just had to get some after having already fallen in love with the 12 Rose; its very generous, giving nice spicy and toasty, mineral infused citrus fruit, especially lemon zest; its round and seamless and has bright acidity, its in perfect balance and exudes class and elegance as it glides across the palate all the way to the back end.
fullsizeoutput_2183.jpeg
NV MARIE COURTIN RESONANCE EXTRA BRUT- 100% Pinot Noir, all from 2009; it received its name to represent the balancing energies of earth and sky, does not see any wood and has no dosage; this was quite a contrast to the Roederer; I got mint and smoky black raspberry along with some hints of stone fruit initially; later on, some pepper and spice came in to add further accents; it was rich and very smooth and I liked it even more with time.
fullsizeoutput_2187.jpeg
NV ERIC RODEZ BRUT ROSE- 40% Pinot Noir, vinified as a rosé; 30% each of Pinot Noir/Chardonnay, vinified as a white wine; a WineBerserker board member who I trust and highly respect stated this was his “house rose” and that was enough for me to give it a try so this was the first of a few bottles just received; it took a while for it to open up, but eventually it did and gave some pleasurable gifts which included nice red fruit, especially red cherry and a touch of strawberry; it was medium bodied at best; I’m thinking this is not the best representative of its fullest potential perhaps due in part to some travel shock so Ill let the other bottles rest a few months before retrying. ![fullsizeoutput_2184.jpeg|1342x3171](upload://v7trC7NHmZfYtdsbXw8RgV7iUd9.jpeg) 2004 CHATEAU dYQUEM “Y” YGREC BORDEAUX BLANC- dry Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon; we’ve had the wondrous 2000 a few times, but this was my first sampling of the 04; lots of tropical fruit is joined by ginger, honeysuckle, tangerine and orange peel to provide a real taste treat but its the impeccable balance that really caught my attention; the creamy mouthfeel also contributes to this glorious wine which was our white WOTN. I have to admit, I voted for the Roederer. ![fullsizeoutput_2189.jpeg|2073x2864](upload://7EGr7I6AHRnuMe5fO8Sg0L9y7Vi.jpeg) 2003 CHATEAU QUINAULT lENCLOS SAINT-EMILION- laced with VA and stewed fruit; dumped and glassware cleaning required.
fullsizeoutput_218b.jpeg
2000 CHATEAU CLOS de SARPE SAINT-EMILION- 80% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon; wish I used the same glass for the previous wine; it was corked; more on the spot cleaning to do.
fullsizeoutput_218d.jpeg
2008 CLOS SAINT-MARTIN ST.-EMILION- it takes its name from the St. Martin, who is the Patron Saint for wine growers, soldiers and beggars; it didn’t have to beg so much to be appreciated after the last 2 wines, but it held its own and soldered on; loved the aromatics which were laden with ripe dark fruit which translated into blackberry, blueberry and black currant; licorice and cedar provided mild accents to this full bodied, soft and easy on the palate delight.
fullsizeoutput_218f.jpeg
2005 CHATEAU LARCIS-DUCASSE SAINT-EMILION- 78% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon; my initial impression was not all that good as it seemed distant and tight, but after some time, it opened up and kept on expanding and giving and ended up in a wonderful place, so much so, it was voted the red WOTN; at its best, it gave loads of fresh and ripe dark fruit with sweetened black cherry most prominent; licorice and dark chocolate enhanced the taste profile and there’s some plum, blueberry and blackberry in the background; its very complex with serious layers of depth and held on for a long finish.
fullsizeoutput_2191.jpeg
2009 LE CARRE SAINT-EMILION- approximate blend of 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc; lots of fresh youthful dark fruit in the nose following its dark, vibrant purple color; it was so tasty and almost more decadent than I expected, so I tamed it down by going for small sips and had quite a few as it was that good; spicy chocolate and cigar box notes accompany the blackberry, plum and black cherry fruit; the smooth texture gently carried all of the goodness to the back end where it hung on for extended pleasure.
fullsizeoutput_2192.jpeg
2009 LA MONDOTTE SAINT-EMILION- this is really young and robust exuding tons of energy; the nose was redolent of leather, spice and coffee laden dark fruit; on the palate, I got more specifically, blackberry, black cherry and plum with a definitive sweetness; the velvety texture added to its charm, but the stiff tannins served to dry everything out past mid palate and through the finish; 15 years of time and a long decant is suggested.
fullsizeoutput_2194.jpeg
Such fun. I really enjoy our smaller numbers which allows for a table conversation and we have many who have much to contribute in just about every aspect of life although the central theme is usually wine.

Cheers,
Blake

That’s a cool, unusual group of St Emilions.

Hard to find Clos St Martin. Sadly my only bottle of the 1998 was corked!

I agree Are re the cool and unusual group of St. Emilions. Other than the flawed ones, it was a very decent array of wines.

Id never had a bottle of Clos St. Martin nor seen it in any shop or online email release although I've probably just overlooked it due to unfamiliarity. Ill be on the lookout now; this was a good wine.

Thanks for posting Blake, the Marie Courtin sounds really interesting.

When are we having our next dinner? champagne.gif

Viet,I certainly found it interesting and the one who brought it, an online wine retailer/ Somm, stated it runs for around $35 which is a deal IMHO.

They make very little of it. I’m chewing through a bunch of Cote de Baleau, which at one point was in the same ownership structure.

Modern Larcisse Ducasse are much different than the older ones, which are only ok. A 1998 last year was nothing that stuck out, perhaps a bit underfruited, which for the vintage is not impressive…

A nice set of Champagnes, Blake.

2012 Roederers are really good. Love to age the Brut, so I hope you kept some for the cellar too. I’m actually going to try to pick up some 2012 Rose this weekend if I can carve out some time.

Your heading on the Rodez says Blanc de Noirs, but the bottle and note suggest Rose. Rodez does make a BdN, and I personally think it’s fantastic if you get a chance to try one. Very vinous and dynamic.

thanks for the notes Blake. Have loved every YGREC i have tried

Jayson, thanks so much for the correction re the Rodez; I updated the blend info that I got when searching for it and mistakably read through the BdN.

Yes, I did save some of the Roederer for aging which should result in a really fine bubbly.

You can find the Resonance for about $40 at Sec Wines in Oregon. I got some from there last month to increase my inventory of the wine.

Blake, it will be good to see you next month and have you join the Falltacular family. Maybe you can get back down here in Spring for a wine dinner with the local again.

Thanks Frank. I’m definitely planning on making routine visits to OC to get together with you guys as the 2 we’ve done have been stellar. Future dates TBD.

As an add on to the notes, the restaurant supplied a some stems to a few who did not bring their own which our usual MO. They were made by Riedel, much larger than the Riedel Vinum Bordeaux stems I took and half the weight suggesting hand blown, unleaded crystal perhaps. See photo:
fullsizeoutput_2186.jpeg