Your Second-Favorite Wine with Scallops

… because we already know your absolute favorite is 2007 CdP, en magnum.

Interesting that you pair scallops with CdP. I have never actually tried that.

Yong,

It’s an old joke. Nobody does it.

The answer is of course Chablis, specifically Raveneau, or Dauvissat.

Ahh. Silly me.

Ceritas Chardonnay. Scallops are best kept simple - especially if you are able to locate the elusive Nantucket Bay scallops.

When in doubt? Champagne, of course!

The answer is always the same: Champagne.

If it’s not Madeira or Sherry…then I’d say it has to be Raul Pérez Sketch

The best answers are already posted, but another one we enjoy…

Saivignon Blanc that has had some time in a barrel…

Spottswoode Sauvignon Blanc is fermented partially in wooden barrels and partially in stainless steel. It makes a creamy texture, for me, with scallops.

Similarly enjoyable, Peter Michael’s La Apre Midi is a bit more subdued and maybe a tad more complex.

Mondavi’s I Block Fume is also a good scallop match.

Rochioli sauvignon blanc, Merry Edwards, Chalk Hill’s musque sauvignon blanc, Grgich, and there are likely others I have overlooked.

Lastly, a curve ball: Peter Michael Coeur à Coeur Estate Sémillon Blend. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

If that is the road you are going down, then Arkenstone should be at the top of the list.

2002 krug

Champagne with Weathervane scallops

Corton-Charlemagne is the go. Or even Meursault. CdP en magnum should be reserved for oysters or for bathing in.

I’m kicking myself for not having Champagne in 375 right now …

Clos Briords

Between these three, thoughts? The Bdx is a 50/50 blend, fwiw.
2013 L’Esprit de Chevalier blanc (2nd wine of DDC)
2017 Chidaine - Clos du Breuil
2015 Rhys - Bearwallow Chard

Keep all answers coming, please, for posterity’s sake.

Champagne and Chablis good optios, but depends on how they are served.

With a richer/buttery/creamy dish, then I’d go older - older champagne or white burg (Montrachet works a treat [wow.gif] ).

Preparation will be very simple.

Pan-seared in butter. Little bit salt. Fresh fennel fronds. A few dots of vinegary cilantro sauce.

The Chidaine. Scallops are so rich and sweet, love Loire chenin with them.

White Bordeaux with a few years-- Carbonnieux Blanc, Latour Martillac, Mallartic LaG, Haut Bergey, La Louviere, etc.

… and I don’t own any white burg because I refuse to buy it, otherwise I would have gone with that, as it does sound very appealing.