TN: 2008 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Special Club Blanc de Blancs

2008 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Special Club Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (1/5/2019)

My first bottle. Made from two plots of old vines planted before 1952, one in the grand cru of Oger called ‘Chenys’ and one in Mesnil called ‘Derriere Maison’. This is one of the last Special Clubs being made by Launois as they have left the Club Tressoirs. Light yellow color. Very bright and lively at this stage. Notes of almonds, chalk and brioche. Aggressive bead. Very youthful and will benefit from some aging. With time this could rival the 2002 when it was at it’s peak. 93+ points.

VM

Nice notes, on this and the others - several Champagne producers I’ve never heard of.

Me like Launois.

Why did they leave Club Tressoirs?

Kl carries a lot of their stuff.

I believe they wanted to expand production by buying grapes for some of their wines which is not allowed by club members. Not completely sure of that. Anyway, club membership is always fluctuating. Of the original 12 members in the club from 1971, only 7 are still in the club.

VM

Should Launois be included in the Best Value Champagne with 15-20 years of Cellaring Potential thread?

I haven’t had any Launois older the 06 myself, but what I’ve trued seems like it has legs. And of course, even the Special Club is only $60.

We had a 96 brochet which was good. I think the kl direct imports are good values and some are very good (arnould) but not the very best growers.