Napa and Climate Change - Stock Up Now!

More research is coming out that shows that if the current weather changes experienced over the last few decades continues, it’ll be too warm for Bordeaux varieties in many parts of Napa. There will, of course, be plenty of exceptions, but in general, it may become ‘more challenging’ for many of the growers and wineries there - unless, of course, weather patterns change OR viticultural techniques are altered to ‘deal with’ warmer climates.

OK, I will be the first to respond.
Fine with me.
I buy virtually nothing from Napa.
If true, it would be a deserving reward for those mega-wealthy elites who have used Napa as self-aggrandizing monuments.
It can all become desert with cacti and tumbleweeds while those in the Sierra Foothills, Santa Cruz mountains, and Central Coast rake it in.

More rhone varieties please!

Not much of a loss. Perhaps they can grow more duriff?

Gee – that’s nice. But even with the Constellation brands, Wagner, etc., or even over-priced labels like Harlan or Screaming Eagle, there are still a lot of small producers, family producers, workers, etc. that depend on the Napa area for livelihood. I guess they don’t matter…

The prediction is that Lake County will become the new Napa.

You heard it here first. [cheers.gif]

So predictable. The PC Po-Po have pulled me over for a citation. Officer Fife is new and doesn’t know context or personalities and thinks he has a point worth sharing. The concepts of humor, exaggeration, and sarcasm are either unknown or ignored. I choose to rip up the ticket and peel out, leaving Barney in a cloud of dust. Napa dust.

Because your delivery is trash.

Wow! This sure took a negative turn quickly!

I hope farmers adjust and continue to produce Bordeaux-variety inspired grapes. I think it’s what Napa does best. If I’m looking for Rhones or Pinots, I’ll look elsewhere. I’m not buying Screagle or Harlan or some of those others, but really do like Cabernets from Napa (Rivers-Marie, Pride, Coho, Di Costanzo, William & Mary, Roy Piper, etc.).

Mitch, to be fair, it wasn’t that obvious from your original post that you were being sarcastic.

I’ve been looking at this a bit, living in the south Bay. I can’t say I’ve noticed any big changes since moving here almost 35 years ago. So I plotted average max and min temps for the Napa weather station (airport), from data on Weather Underground. Bunch of years are missing in the middle, but it doesn’t look like there is any particularly large trend. I’ll take a look at a location farther up valley, like St Helena, which is less moderated by the Bay. One thing to note is that climate change predictions seem to suggest that much of NorCal, at least coastal, will actually be a touch cooler, not warmer.

NapaTempsAugust.PNG
NapaTempsApril.PNG
NapaTempsOctober.PNG

Do you understand the difference between local weather and world climate?

For some, it seems to be subtle [cheers.gif]

Well, this was an article about growing in Napa, so it seems that looking at Napa temperature trends is sensible.

+1

Good thing I learned a long time ago not to argue with pinheads.
Have a great day

Didn’t get the sarcasm either. Just though it was a shot at Napa and a hint of an air of superiority. So I ignored it.

JD

Back to topic…this is really old news, I remember from this subject 12+ years ago.

From 2006

Another article pointed to elevated vineyards in Cloverdale region and east as the new Napa.

And they still continue flock to build the family showcase winery, vineyards and estate, ha!

Aw jeez. I wish no ill-will toward the good hard working middle class and below people, those who do not dream of landing a copter at Screagle, and all who are not commercial oligarchs of Napa Valley. I believe in climate change. Tis a crying shame. When the eventual ice-age comes, maybe the Napa Train will become the train in Snowpiercer. WTF would anyone take me seriously; no one ever has before.

On a related note, this is a little old, but similar concerns in Germany for eiswein:

Napa, their Napa…
Few months ago, offspring of a high end winery in mid-Valley threw hissy fit at Napa airport cause the helicopter was not there upon arrival after private jet flight for the agonizing last leg of 20 whole miles.
Oh my!