Napa and Climate Change - Stock Up Now!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Napa and Climate Change - Stock Up Now!

#1 Post by larry schaffer » January 8th, 2019, 8:21 am

More research is coming out that shows that if the current weather changes experienced over the last few decades continues, it'll be too warm for Bordeaux varieties in many parts of Napa. There will, of course, be plenty of exceptions, but in general, it may become 'more challenging' for many of the growers and wineries there - unless, of course, weather patterns change OR viticultural techniques are altered to 'deal with' warmer climates.

https://www.winebusiness.com/news/?go=g ... aId=207908
larry schaffer
tercero wines

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Napa and Climate Change - Stock Up Now!

#2 Post by MitchTallan » January 8th, 2019, 9:21 am

OK, I will be the first to respond.
Fine with me.
I buy virtually nothing from Napa.
If true, it would be a deserving reward for those mega-wealthy elites who have used Napa as self-aggrandizing monuments.
It can all become desert with cacti and tumbleweeds while those in the Sierra Foothills, Santa Cruz mountains, and Central Coast rake it in.

Hank Victor

#3 Post by Hank Victor » January 8th, 2019, 9:28 am

More rhone varieties please!
Friendship, the sweetest influence -- ITB

Markus S

#4 Post by Markus S » January 8th, 2019, 9:34 am

Not much of a loss. Perhaps they can grow more duriff?
$ _ € ® e . k @

M. Taylor

#5 Post by M. Taylor » January 8th, 2019, 10:12 am

MitchTallan wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 9:21 am
Fine with me.
If true, it would be a deserving reward for those mega-wealthy elites who have used Napa as self-aggrandizing monuments.
It can all become desert with cacti and tumbleweeds while those in the Sierra Foothills, Santa Cruz mountains, and Central Coast rake it in.
Gee -- that's nice. But even with the Constellation brands, Wagner, etc., or even over-priced labels like Harlan or Screaming Eagle, there are still a lot of small producers, family producers, workers, etc. that depend on the Napa area for livelihood. I guess they don't matter....
M a r k

Mike Kuller

#6 Post by Mike Kuller » January 8th, 2019, 10:49 am

The prediction is that Lake County will become the new Napa.

You heard it here first. [cheers.gif]
No Vino Sin Cojones

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by MitchTallan » January 8th, 2019, 11:39 am

M. Taylor wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 10:12 am
MitchTallan wrote:
Fine with me.
Gee -- that's nice. But even with the Constellation brands, Wagner, etc., or even over-priced labels like Harlan or Screaming Eagle, there are still a lot of small producers, family producers, workers, etc. that depend on the Napa area for livelihood. I guess they don't matter....
So predictable. The PC Po-Po have pulled me over for a citation. Officer Fife is new and doesn't know context or personalities and thinks he has a point worth sharing. The concepts of humor, exaggeration, and sarcasm are either unknown or ignored. I choose to rip up the ticket and peel out, leaving Barney in a cloud of dust. Napa dust.

C Chen

#8 Post by C Chen » January 8th, 2019, 12:04 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 11:39 am
M. Taylor wrote:
MitchTallan wrote:
Fine with me.
So predictable. The PC Po-Po have pulled me over for a citation. Officer Fife is new and doesn't know context or personalities and thinks he has a point worth sharing. The concepts of humor, exaggeration, and sarcasm are either unknown or ignored. I choose to rip up the ticket and peel out, leaving Barney in a cloud of dust. Napa dust.
Because your delivery is trash.
curt1S ch3N

Brandon R

#9 Post by Brandon R » January 8th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Wow! This sure took a negative turn quickly!

I hope farmers adjust and continue to produce Bordeaux-variety inspired grapes. I think it's what Napa does best. If I'm looking for Rhones or Pinots, I'll look elsewhere. I'm not buying Screagle or Harlan or some of those others, but really do like Cabernets from Napa (Rivers-Marie, Pride, Coho, Di Costanzo, William & Mary, Roy Piper, etc.).
B. Redman

Marc Hauser

#10 Post by Marc Hauser » January 8th, 2019, 12:44 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
M. Taylor wrote:
MitchTallan wrote:
Fine with me.
Mitch, to be fair, it wasn't that obvious from your original post that you were being sarcastic.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman wine and cannabis lawyer)

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Alan Rath » January 8th, 2019, 1:00 pm

I've been looking at this a bit, living in the south Bay. I can't say I've noticed any big changes since moving here almost 35 years ago. So I plotted average max and min temps for the Napa weather station (airport), from data on Weather Underground. Bunch of years are missing in the middle, but it doesn't look like there is any particularly large trend. I'll take a look at a location farther up valley, like St Helena, which is less moderated by the Bay. One thing to note is that climate change predictions seem to suggest that much of NorCal, at least coastal, will actually be a touch cooler, not warmer.

NapaTempsApril.PNG
NapaTempsAugust.PNG
NapaTempsOctober.PNG

Mike Kuller

#12 Post by Mike Kuller » January 8th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 1:00 pm
I've been looking at this a bit, living in the south Bay. I can't say I've noticed any big changes since moving here almost 35 years ago. So I plotted average max and min temps for the Napa weather station (airport), from data on Weather Underground. Bunch of years are missing in the middle, but it doesn't look like there is any particularly large trend. I'll take a look at a location farther up valley, like St Helena, which is less moderated by the Bay. One thing to note is that climate change predictions seem to suggest that much of NorCal, at least coastal, will actually be a touch cooler, not warmer.

NapaTempsApril.PNG

NapaTempsAugust.PNG

NapaTempsOctober.PNG
Do you understand the difference between local weather and world climate?

For some, it seems to be subtle [cheers.gif]
No Vino Sin Cojones

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Alan Rath » January 8th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Well, this was an article about growing in Napa, so it seems that looking at Napa temperature trends is sensible.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by alan weinberg » January 8th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 1:20 pm
Well, this was an article about growing in Napa, so it seems that looking at Napa temperature trends is sensible.
+1

M. Taylor

#15 Post by M. Taylor » January 8th, 2019, 1:28 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
M. Taylor wrote:
MitchTallan wrote:
Fine with me.
Good thing I learned a long time ago not to argue with pinheads.
Have a great day
M a r k

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by John Davis » January 8th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Marc Hauser wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 12:44 pm
MitchTallan wrote:
M. Taylor wrote:

Mitch, to be fair, it wasn't that obvious from your original post that you were being sarcastic.
Didn’t get the sarcasm either. Just though it was a shot at Napa and a hint of an air of superiority. So I ignored it.

JD
ITB

Richard Albert

#17 Post by Richard Albert » January 8th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Back to topic...this is really old news, I remember from this subject 12+ years ago.

From 2006
https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article ... 493071.php

Another article pointed to elevated vineyards in Cloverdale region and east as the new Napa.

And they still continue flock to build the family showcase winery, vineyards and estate, ha!
ITB

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by MitchTallan » January 8th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Aw jeez. I wish no ill-will toward the good hard working middle class and below people, those who do not dream of landing a copter at Screagle, and all who are not commercial oligarchs of Napa Valley. I believe in climate change. Tis a crying shame. When the eventual ice-age comes, maybe the Napa Train will become the train in Snowpiercer. WTF would anyone take me seriously; no one ever has before.

Marc Hauser

#19 Post by Marc Hauser » January 8th, 2019, 4:53 pm

On a related note, this is a little old, but similar concerns in Germany for eiswein:
https://winespeed.com/blog/2018/12/the-end-of-eiswein/
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman wine and cannabis lawyer)

Richard Albert

#20 Post by Richard Albert » January 8th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Napa, their Napa...
Few months ago, offspring of a high end winery in mid-Valley threw hissy fit at Napa airport cause the helicopter was not there upon arrival after private jet flight for the agonizing last leg of 20 whole miles.
Oh my!
ITB

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Anton D » January 8th, 2019, 5:40 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
M. Taylor wrote:
MitchTallan wrote:
Fine with me.
I love this thread!

Mitch obviously prefers supporting the mega-wealthy Euro-trash polo crowd running the high end Bordeaux and Burgundy estates who have parlayed their generational lucky sperm wealth into self-aggrandizing vanity project Napa Estates with their great great great grandpa's Bordeaux money.
Click to see spoiler:
Sarcasm font! I am just running with the theme and mean no ill will toward anyone...except that tin eared Mitch. champagne.gif
Anton Dotson

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Alan Rath » January 8th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Richard Albert wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 5:25 pm
Napa, their Napa...
Few months ago, offspring of a high end winery in mid-Valley threw hissy fit at Napa airport cause the helicopter was not there upon arrival after private jet flight for the agonizing last leg of 20 whole miles.
Oh my!
Seriously? Who the hell takes a helicopter from Napa airport up the valley. That's pretty disgusting. And more than a little ironic, given the thread title.

Nathan Smyth

#23 Post by Nathan Smyth » January 8th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Alan Rath wrote:

NapaTempsApril.PNG

NapaTempsAugust.PNG

NapaTempsOctober.PNG
Careful there, else the NPCs will throw kernel panics & reboot on ya.

[Linus shoulda used a microkernel!!!]

'Mini Ice Age' Looms As NASA Scientist Warns Lack Of Sunspots Could Bring Record Cold
November 15, 2018
https://www.longviral.com/2018/11/mini- ... ntist.html

Roy Piper

#24 Post by Roy Piper » January 8th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I remember in 2005 after just moving here there was an article saying that within 20 years Napa would be growing Tannat. Cabernet would be relegated to the Russian River Valley.

Well, 14 years later and not only has that not happened, but alcohol levels are dropping and demand for Napa Cab is higher than ever before. We've learned to mitigate ripeness through row direction, leaf pulling (or shading), better use of (less) water and technology.

People under-estimate human's ability to adapt to change. And the wine industry, too.

Maybe someone should point out to these scientists that Red Mountain, WA, makes good Cab and is a pure desert. The last few years the entire growing season there was 90-110F. Degree days well over 4000.
ITB

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by R. Frankel » January 8th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
What? Data? Seems like an odd choice for a Berserkers discussion ;)?

Alan - thanks for sharing. The really fascinating things about global warming are all the non-obvious side effects. Some areas will be cooler. Some water. Some drier. More coastal fog in NorCal would be interesting. Cooler Napa? The new Burgundy!
Rich Frankel

Joe S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Joe S. » January 8th, 2019, 7:35 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Aw jeez. I wish no ill-will toward the good hard working middle class and below people, those who do not dream of landing a copter at Screagle, and all who are not commercial oligarchs of Napa Valley. I believe in climate change. Tis a crying shame. When the eventual ice-age comes, maybe the Napa Train will become the train in Snowpiercer. WTF would anyone take me seriously; no one ever has before.
So give it to me straight - how many years do I have left to earn my corporate copter, such that I can land at Screagle?! Gotta do it, man - bucket list! [cheers.gif]
-- J. 'eS-eye-dee-dee-ay-eL-eL-
BornToRhone (CT)

Mattstolz

#27 Post by Mattstolz » January 9th, 2019, 2:17 pm

did anyone following this thread listen to the newest Viticole Podcasts? He's released two in a row talking to a Nasa weather scientist who is studying these exact things. Especially the second podcast of the series they get into some of the nitty gritty of "can great wine from ____ still be grown in _____ with X degrees of warming". etc

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Alan Rath » January 10th, 2019, 8:42 am

Haven't yet found historical records for St Helena or Calistoga, but here are graphs of average temperature in April, August, October at Sonoma Airport (Windsor):

Temps.Sonoma.April.PNG
Temps.Sonoma.August.PNG
Temps.Sonoma.Oct.PNG

rsmithjr

#29 Post by rsmithjr » January 10th, 2019, 1:42 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 2:29 pm
The reason no one takes you seriously is you have a tendency to blow up threads....

The Climate change is going to take time... Look at 2011, rainy, cool.....
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant'

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Brian Tuite » January 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
Fine with me.
That’s a shitty attitude. I know plenty of hard working small family winery owners in Napa Valley who I would hate to see lose everything.

What do you do for a living? Can I summon the plague upon your industry or way of life as well? You don’t matter either, right?
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Brian Tuite » January 10th, 2019, 2:12 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
M. Taylor wrote:
MitchTallan wrote:
Fine with me.
So you really are a dick.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Brandon R

#32 Post by Brandon R » January 10th, 2019, 3:02 pm

It's almost as if someone, somewhere, at some time in Napa served up a personal affront to Mr. Tallan. How do you feel about the likes of Bordeaux First Growth charging extremely high prices, yet with multiple times larger production than these evil companies in Napa?
B. Redman

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Alan Eden » January 10th, 2019, 3:05 pm

In fifty years Wales will be the new Champagne, in hundred years Wales will be the new burgundy, 150 years and it will be Bordeaux, if only i could live that long
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Return to “Wine Talk”