TN: 2016 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape

• 2016 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/7/2019)
    This is really fruit-forward…more so than the 2015 I had a few months ago. I think it’s possible I’d even guess this wrong if I tasted it blind. Scents of violets, earth, manure, along with ripe notes of plum, with a hint of fig. The palate is awash in ripe red & blue fruits, tobacco, leather, and clove. Excellent…but I’m going to wait on the remaining bottle I have in the hopes that it calms down with time sideways.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the tasting note Kirk!!

Wow!! I have never tasted a Beacastel so young. This sounds ridiculous!

Had the 16 coudelet the other night and it was really enjoyable fwiw

Thanks for the tasting note Kirk!!

Wow!! I have never tasted a Beacastel so young. This sounds ridiculous!

If you had several I would not say it is ridiculous. If I wanted to see if this works for me and used it as a data point for more purchases I would not say ridiculous. If I was only ever thinking of buying one bottle of this than yes it is ridiculous.

I like trying CDPs young especially over the course of several days to predict long term evolution.

Just my opinion but I think this is the best vintage of Besucastel ever produced.

Really appreciate the early look, Kirk.

I had the Donjon the other night to see if I wanted to order more. It was definitely on the ripe side for my tastes and I’m hoping it will mellow over the next decade. Not buying more than the 5 I have left.

Don’t forget the Roussanne VV. I haven’t tried the 2016, but buy it each year.

Steve, have you ever encountered premox with the VV? I had 2 out of 6 bottles of the 1995 badly oxidize by 8 years. Not the odd, pseudo-oxidative dead zone the VV sometimes goes into and recovers from, but dark brown and dead as a doornail. No ullage, no signs of leakage, stored in my cellar since release. I haven’t heard widespread reports of this but I started drinking them young, which misses a good part the enjoyment. Wonder if I’ve become too cautious.

Jeff, what about this vintage leaves you with that impression? I’ve only had a handful of young Beaucastel (01, 04, 05, 09, 10, 12, 15, & 16). Of them all, the 01 & the 15 tasted the most similar in their youth to me. This 2016 seemed a lot more intensely fruited and on the level of almost being over-ripe to my tastes. I will certainly allow my remaining bottle to rest a VERY, VERY long time.

And, vs the fabled 1989?

The best vintage is, of course, better than the 89 :slight_smile: You can read my notes here - Learn about Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape, Complete Guide

What is it that makes you believe this? Strong statement and the wine is still so young.

Thanks.

Larry,

First, I am going to go out on a limb a bit further and say the 2016 Hommage Perrin is also the best vintage yet for that wine as well!

If I cannot make those choices, I should not be posting those comments, my notes/scores or maintain a website. I have tasted more than enough young wine (and in the case of Beaucastel, more than ample different vintages) to have a very good idea on how the wines I taste often will develop.

Are you saying that when you get a good score from a reviewer, you ask them how they can make such a positive judgment when your wine is still young?

Jeff, I didn’t read that as a challenge to your ability, but as a request for more detail. Jeff’s TN can be found at the link he posted above. It’s very positive.

Of course every baby wine has a long way to go before reaching the mature complexity required to establish its bona rides as “best ever,” and some just don’t turn out as predicted. I liked Beaucastel better when it was a bit dirtier/bretty. I may be in the minority but its cleaner profile isn’t a positive in my book. It’s still one of my favorite CduPs.

Just had the 2016 Coudelet and it seems definitely on the ripe side, but good- and a great value at $20. I hope Jeff is right regarding the 2016 as this year has the lowest pricing I have seen in a long while.

Why isn’t it a fair question, Jeff?

To say best ever right on release, would help to know what other top Beaucastel vintages you have tried at the same point in their evolution.

Doesn’t mean you cannot have an opinion, it just goes to how some of us may weigh that opinion.

I really liked the 2015, reloaded on another case after going through a few. Wondered about the 2016. Generally an excellent QPr.

I’ve drank about 6 bottles of the 15 which I love, haven’t opened a 16 yet; sorta surprising that it’d be more fruit forward than the 15 per vintage notes.

For the people that tried both '16 Beaucastel & Vieux Donjon, which did you prefer and why?